Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Central Heating Rad

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2002, 04:00 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have one rad in the house that only heats up bearly from one side where the temp tap is, while the others are roasting!!!

Any ideas what to look for ? tests to carry out etc......

Tried bleeding the air no success.

Old 25 November 2002, 04:38 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I presume both the valves are open ?

Sounds like your rads may be unbalanced. I have the same problem with one of mine, but it's a pain in the **** getting them all balanced again.

Some help here

Steve
Old 25 November 2002, 04:43 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Is the offending rad warm anywhere else - top, bottom or middle? If so, could be full of sludge and needs rinsing out. If not, and the valve appears to be fully open, the valve's proabably kn@ckered but remember to check the lock-shield (the other valve you adjust with an adjustable) to make sure that's not shut off.

Cheers
Kav
Old 25 November 2002, 05:05 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys, will try both methods tonight.

Kav the rad only warms up near the inlet vavle lukewarm. In area of heat it covers on the rad would be 1/4. The rad is furthest away from the boiler as well.

If i do take the rad off is this a easy job ?

Old 25 November 2002, 06:37 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rayman,

I have just had this problem myself on one of my houses it was a pain to sort but got there in the end.

make sure both valves are open,open and close them a few times incase of obstruction,make sure no air is in it,put the pump on no 3 and shut all the other rads and see if it gets hot.
If this does not work then you need to drain the system and pressure flush it.

Drain system remove rad take all fittings off rad and flush out finally standing upright hose in top and swilling all crud out bottom,flush the valves.

Now you have to flush the system out. put the valves back on the radiator pipes and get 3 inches of 15mm pipe and an olive and fasten a hose to the 15mm pipe jubilee all hose fittings then put mains pressure done one pipe and it will flush crap out the other do this with all other rads closed and then open and also swap the flow and return and do again.If it is a conventional system you will have to put a 22mm end stop on the vent pipe obove the header tank and also shut the 15mm mains supply off to the header tank other wise the system will not be sealed and it will find the easiest way out,not shift the obstruction and may fill your header tank up faster than the overflow can cope.

Finally refill,bleed all rads and all should be well, if so put some cleaner in the header tank,drain the system slightly so it pulls it out the tank into the system,leave in for a week then flush and refill with rust inhibitor.

Dont forget to take the end cap off the vent.

This does work as i did it last week,hope it all makes sense

Paul

Old 25 November 2002, 07:39 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Paul,

will give a try this weekend, cant afford to mess with it in the week as the other half will go balistic if theres no heat!

Old 25 November 2002, 07:48 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Other halfs on the phone going to give a go, just closed all the other rads, and turned on the pump to 3 and the rad getting hot!!!

What do i need to do it keep it running with the rest of the rads Paul ?

Old 25 November 2002, 08:09 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

As someone else said the system needs balancing.
the rads nearest the boiler only need opening a quater turn on the lockshield end.Small rads are the same.You need to push the water further away as water always takes the easiest route ie,the route near to the boiler.also your pump my be on its way out and is not pumping the water around the system as it use to.

sometimes we do get badly installed systems which cause sludge(primatic cylinder setups)/the tops of the rads get hot but stone cold in the middle,because the rads are full of sludge.
in this case we install a indirect cylinder and a seperate f+e tank,so that the hot water/heating water is seperate.

give balancing a go,try closing all other rads and leave the problem one open.if it heats up,then its ok.

a nice project for the weekend

Duncan,Corgi reg installer
Old 25 November 2002, 08:11 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

cheers duncan, what setting should the pump be on ?

Old 25 November 2002, 08:38 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

thanks to all, Bl**dy RAD working now!!!!

only if i knew this 11 months ago !!!!

Old 25 November 2002, 08:47 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

for a average system,7-10 rads,normal system type we usually put it on 1 or 2(if its a red/pink pump(grunfos)
sometimes if you put it on three it causes problems in the system by pumping over into the f+e tank.This rots systems in no timedue to fresh water entering the system.

try it on 1 for a few hours and make sure everything heats up quickly and all rads are getting warm.if its fine at that the leave it.
if not try it on number 2 and see how you go on

Combi boilers always have there pumps set at number 3,this is so the boiler can get rid of the heat quickly and so it doenst cause the boiler to overheat(incase anyone asks!)

glad to be of help to you

Duncan