Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Cancun?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2002, 02:02 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went self-catering, I'm a fussy eater and the thought of spending 2 weeks in a hotel with inedible food makes me cringe.

We ate mainly downtown, much, much cheaper than the Hotel Zone but not very glam.

My friend went this year and hated it, though, so it depends on what you're after, I guess.

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 12/5/2002 2:07:16 PM]
Old 05 December 2002, 06:46 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Thinking of going, any info appreciated.
I want to visit the Aztec cities. Is Chichen Itza far? Is it best to take a tour or just hire a car and drive myself. Is a package hotel the best idea or can you take a flight and sort out the hotel and tour yourself? What's the weather like?
What to look out for/best experience/any good diving?
Old 05 December 2002, 07:07 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

My sister and BF went last year - they did the whole thing as a package (IMHO, the best and easiest way)

They also did the tours rather than hire car....

Had the time of their lives too

Highly recommended.......if you can withstand the long haul over there (about 9hrs ish)

Dan
Old 05 December 2002, 07:55 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Absolutely loved it, though be warned, it ain't cheap once you get there. DO NOT hire a car. We were warned by our rep that the police love nothing more than to stop tourists in hire cars and fleece them for everything they have, and sure enough, we saw plenty pulled over.

Chichen Itza is spectacular, but be warned it's a hot and humid, take plenty of water.

The best holiday I ever had, highly recommend it, and don't forget to swim with Dolphins!
Old 05 December 2002, 08:03 AM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

excellent place, i hired a car and had no problem. jeep wrangler with top down, was a top job...

chitchen itza is a long drive but worth a look. if you like swimming and hire a car check out the cenotes (sp?) they are limestone sink holes/ caves with lakes. crystal clear water (cold though) but loads of fish
Old 05 December 2002, 08:06 AM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Talking

btw don't want to be a smart ar*e but chichen itza is a mayan town, not aztec ;-)

when you arrive there is a cafe with a pizza stand, bet you cant guess what it's called............

yes ITZA PIZZA classic

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2002, 08:59 AM
Luke
BANNED

Bloodyhell..I was told it was a dive... Full of muppets..expensive and not nice.

Just goes to show!!
Old 05 December 2002, 10:37 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys, looks a fave to escape the winter and get some sun.
Old 05 December 2002, 01:59 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Luke,

Well I went in '99 and thought it was disappointing, was originally gonna stay at the moon palace but thought it was too far out. Yes its expensive £2.50 for sol when its 30p in the supermarket. Didnt help the hotel we did go for (so **** cant remember its name) wasnt very good, had a mix of all-inclusive and non-inclusive guests that is a *nightmare*, I love mexican food and beer and thought Id be in heaven, not bad just very disappointed. Did the swimming with dolphins though and that was unmissable.

cheers

Gary
Old 05 December 2002, 03:30 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Went a few weeks back, Place to stay is the Moon Palace resort. The most exclusive resort there. Jacuzzi in the bedroom,private beach.... Book all your excursions from the hotel or shop around la isla shopping centre, this is on the main road where all the rest the hotels are.

places to visit , chichen itza take loads of water, f**kin nearly collasped with heat its a long tour.

Congo Bongo nightclub, apparently jim carrey owns it, f**kin excellent. Do the rep pub crawls,its better and you get served quick.

Jungle tour, speedboat & snorkling.

Swim with dolphins, mindblowing!!!

I could give you a list, it is expensive. Hiring a car would not bother, go on with minibus thing you see more and get extra service. We spent £1000 on the excursions but worth every penny.

If you like bullfighting make sure you book it when you arrive there, it runs every wednesday afternoons only.