Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance Accident Disclosure Rule

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2002, 11:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I tell it as it is .............................. if you dont like it join the ostrich colony

You are suggesting that when I make a comment I talk cr4p?? Nah, tell it how it is - sod this PC garbage.

BTW if you drive round in a car with high beam on then you are just the pratt you have displayed - says a lot really

Pete

ps - Whats is GALD tidings??

[Edited by pslewis - 12/5/2002 11:10:26 PM]
Old 05 December 2002, 08:41 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have to divulge your insurance details to a third party insurance company when requested?

I only ask this to as I want to keep my 10 yrs no-claims record clean. If I do have to cough up for a kick-scratch I made on someones elses car (who tried to maliciously ram me off my bike) I would rather pay it myself.

He's not getting a penny, but it would be good to know about the ins angle...

Cheers
Old 05 December 2002, 09:04 PM
naughtybutnice
Scooby Regular

Diesel, if it was your fault and you have admitted it, then dont claim, pay the couple of hundred and DON'T inform your insurance company, if you can afford to pay the costs of repairs privately, then a third party dont have to know ****, get in touch with the claiment and get a seperate quote for yourself, then, if there is not a huge difference in quotation price, send a cheque to the claimants choice of garage, dont send a payment to the claimant, and request a vat receipt.
hpoe ive helped
martin
Old 05 December 2002, 09:36 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

If it gets to that Mart, I will, but do I have to tell the enquiring third party Co of my details though? Legally obliged and all that?

Cheers for your help!
Old 05 December 2002, 10:06 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I don't believe insurance companies really care, if you pay for a repair out of your own pocket. What they're interested in, is accidents that cause a loss to the insurance industry as a whole, ie. accidents in which an insurance company actually pays for the damage.

I've put a couple of dings in people's cars while parking - in both cases I paid for the damage, told my insurance company, and they informed me that they simply didn't care. I don't bother mentioning it any more.

HTH

Andy.

A.
Old 05 December 2002, 10:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

This happenned to me recently.I had a bump which was my fault,very minor damage to theirs.I gave them my name and address but refused to hand over my insurance details until we both got estimates and i had time to think about it.

Whether its legal or not i dont know.In the end what can they do?
Eventually we both went through the insurance company.
Old 05 December 2002, 10:25 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Could be wrong but I thought it was a legal requirement to divulge insurance company details in the event of an accident.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2002, 10:42 PM
Luke
BANNED

Diesel

"Have you had any accidents in the last 3 years ??? they ask
NOT have you made any claims. What happens if the other party has sent your details to his insurance company?????

Luke
Old 05 December 2002, 10:47 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

So does that mean that you think all insurance companies cross reference all the people that have made claims or are mentioned on submitted accident reports with all the other insurance companies? i know we are under constant observation but the b*stards aren't that clever; yet.
Old 05 December 2002, 10:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you need to disclose details or you will have a visit from the police as they will assume you are uninsured.

When you kick someones car be prepared for the outcome - if you motorcyclists WILL insist on driving around with HIGH beam on blinding people its hardly surprising you get nearly knocked off as you have temp blinded the car drivers!!

It will registered as a 'Fault' claim and you will be loaded on your next premium

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 11:01 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Pete - when you say "your worst nightmare" you aren't joking are you? Do you ever bear *gald* tidings?

BTW I drive my car with high beam on all the time too

Charlie.
Old 06 December 2002, 06:57 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Surely if you kick someone elses car its nothing to do with your insurance company? Is it not up to the victim to either get the police to charge you with criminal damage or for their insurance company to pursue you for the damage?

Chris
Old 06 December 2002, 10:06 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

what about accidents that weren't your fault? Do you have to divuldge those to insurance companies?
Old 06 December 2002, 10:17 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

It's a legal requirement to disclose insurance details at the scene of an accident.

If someone hit me and refused to give me their insurance details, but gave their address, I'd be on the phone to the Police as quick as. It's not unknown for people to give fake names and addresses...

Den
Old 06 December 2002, 10:39 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

There's no way this loony is getting a penny from me - about as likely as PS gettin a Xmas card from any of us!

It just concerns me that these ins companies sort things out to suit themselves and often not the insured - they could easily settle this behind my back for e.g.

Interestingly nutter has the same ins co as me... I guess I'll let them know its them then!
Old 06 December 2002, 11:29 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

what about accidents that weren't your fault
I think this is where some problems lie. I bet the other driver thinks it wasn't their fault either. It's down to the ins/solicitors/police to determine whose fault it is even if it is obvious (in which case it'll be cut & dry anyway).
I think this is why ins companies now say 'never admit liability' even if it is clearly your fault as it may invalidate your claim (see lastest small print on ins documents). Daft at times but ins companies are run by lawyers I reckon!
Old 06 December 2002, 06:49 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Dirty_Den

"It's a legal requirement to disclose insurance details at the scene of an accident."

According to the highway code (new edition 1999)...

260. If you are involved in an accident whcih causes damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or propoerty, you must

- stop
- give your own, and the vehicle owners name and address, and registration number of the vehicle, to anyone having reasonable grounds for requiring them.
- if you do not give your name and address at the time of the accident, report the accident to the police as soon as reasonably practible, and in any case with 24 hours Law RTA 1988 sect 170

Insurance details are only required if another person is injured (and again, this can be to the police within 24 hours).

mb
Old 06 December 2002, 07:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I fail to see how insurance companies are going to be involved at all...this is a legal matter IMO. How would your insurance claim form read. "the other driver nearly rammed me off the road so I got angry and kicked his car causing damage" Its not an accident and there is no way you insurance company will pay. Offer to pay out your own pocket and that'll get it all cleared up. Better yet, make him work for it - if he want's the money that bad the police will turn up at your door to discuss it.

Just make sure your cooperative when they do!
Old 06 December 2002, 08:24 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Boomer - I stand corrected. I was led to believe by RAC legal services that it was a legal requirement to disclose insurance details.

Den
Old 06 December 2002, 08:59 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

i had a bump a cpl of years ago when we took each others wing mirrors off when i turned around an when back a cop was behind me so i called him in he brethalysed us both an said we had to exchange address,s he said nothing about insurance comp,s so i didnt < mainly cos my excess was more than a mirror> an i didnt hear any thing more about it.......

Old 06 December 2002, 10:37 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Diesel,

i am in the middle of a similar event myself (for the first time outside company car insurance, and for over 12 years), so here is my story so far...

Two weeks ago i had a minor bump in a car park. Slight scratches to my car, but a dent to the other one.

We swapped details (name, address, phone) amicably, and i offered to pay for the repair directly, rather than involve the insurance companies (as my excess would be more than the damage).

The other car was a company car, and unfortunately i ended up with a standard letter from their company insurers, asking me to forward it on to my insurers (Tesco) - which i did.

Things weren't quite as bad as i anticipated, as i would only lose 15% NCD (i currently have the full 65%), so i was initially going to take the hit - on a par with the cost of the actual damage itself.

Then the other driver called to say that their company would be happy for me to pay for the damage directly, thus i agreed. I called Tesco to check whether this was OK (don't forget, the other insurance company already had my details, and i had forwarded their letter onto Tesco).

Tesco basically said that if i paid for the damage directly, then it would not affect my NCD or my premium (and i asked more than once!).

I was honest to all parties, and so far things have been honest back. Tesco (heck, i sound like an advert for them ) were very helpfull on the phone whenever i called.

Thus, hopefully, next week i will send a cheque off to the other party for the cost of repair, and still maintain a full NCD.

Maybe the world is not quite as bad as it seems,

mb