Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2000, 02:26 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking about getting a new camera, and was considering "going digital". Judging by the number of Scoob-related pictures being posted on various sites, there must be a fair amount of digital experience out there. Any suggestions as to what to go for?

(Just don't recommend anything made by Canon.........!)

Pete
Old 04 August 2000, 02:55 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

...er...actually i <B>love</B> my Canon Powershot S20, it rocks. Portable, sturdy, great pic Q, fast and light sensitive (for a digital camera), and a recharging battery is included (as is charger).

Great stuff!
Old 04 August 2000, 03:18 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

I bought a Canon Sureshot Z??? as a 2nd camera to slip in a rucksack when we're out walking. It usually only ever gets used when we go on holiday. I'd only put 3 films through it before it started playing up - kept on switching itself off (a great feature when you are trying to take a shot!).
Unfortunately, when we got back from holiday, I found it was out of guarantee by about two weeks! Not a happy bunny!

Despite explaining how little the camera had been used, Canon billed me for £70 for a new switch, which they then, as a gesture of goodwill (!), reduced to £50 when I said that it wasn't worth it to me, and that they could keep the damn camera.

Guess what.....we've just come back from a walking holiday in the Brecon Beacons, and it's doing the same thing again!

Apart from writing them a very snotty letter, I'm not going to waste any more time on it - it would just be throwing good money after bad.

So that's why I won't touch Canon's.

Old 04 August 2000, 08:22 PM
ChrisB

Hi Pete,

I like the Canon's but I'll shut up and just give you some helpful links for review sites.

Old 05 August 2000, 02:51 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Pete,

If you are after a cheap digital camera to play with - Scan are selling one for £35 + VAT - see
Old 05 August 2000, 06:34 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

I use 2 digital cameras, one for low quality and one for high quality. If its 640x480 then its *just* good enough for web stuff, you can pickup cheap megapixel cameras for about £130 which take pictures that are good for web and also just about usable when printed out. I like using digi cams as you can just delete the pictures you dont want, and my low res camera will take 199 shots which means I can keep using it all day without worrying.

It all depends how much you want to pay. Your best bet is to go for a digital camera with an LCD screen, but make sure you dont have to use the LCD screen to take pictures. My low res camera will always have the LCD screen on and it eats 4 batteries in about 300 shots. My high res one allows me to use the viewfinder most of the time and use the LCD when I really have to.

If you plan on taking action shots the low end digi cams will be slow to take a picture, and even slower between pictures.

Take a look at
Old 07 August 2000, 10:16 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the information guys.

One more question - what is the minimum resolution required for good quality standard-sized prints?

Pete
Old 07 August 2000, 11:36 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PeteC - Do a search on "digital cameras" in this forum. I asked the same question in late June and got a lot of helpful replies .

I ended up buying an Olympus 2020 Zoom and have been very happy with it. 2.3 megapixels, totally adjustable if you want it to be. Has an LCD screen but you can switch it off and take pictures without it. LCD screens do use batteries though. I'd recommend that you get some rechargeables and a charger (some may give you this as parto f the package).