Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

EmpireDirect delivery - NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2002, 10:21 AM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I ordered a couple of things from this lot almost 3 weeks ago and still no sign of a delivery from them, despite the confirmation email stating that it should only take 3 - 5 days.
I've ordered a Kenwood micro hi-fi and Sony portable CD/radio - not exactly stuff that I would expect to require special ordering.

I called them last weekend and was told that it would be delivered on Thursday. Guess what? No delivery.

Has anyone else placed any orders with them in the last few weeks and has your stuff turned up?

I'm now wondering if I'm going to get these things before Christmas. Since both of them are Christmas presents for other people, this could prove a little embarassing.

Cheers

Andrew

Old 15 December 2002, 10:35 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

I ordered from them earlier in the year and had no problems.

I think a few places have under estimated the demand this Xmas.

However, you should keep calling them, until you get your stuff.

- Jon
Old 15 December 2002, 10:53 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Can't say I was overly impressed with them, ordered speakers from them a few years ago, turned up with damaged boxes and spikes missing (could have been carrier) phoned up and asked for a replacement set of spikes, never turned up

On a related note I've had the same problem with dabs, I ordered an SD memory card at the start of November, and I still have not seen it. First they sent it to a wrong address, goodness knows what has happened to it this time, and they are less than great at replying to e-mails. A bit strange as I've never had any problems with them before, so can only guess it is the Christmas rush causing problems.
Old 15 December 2002, 12:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im looking to buy a digital camera and have decided against buying one online due to all the delays everyone is expereincing. Thinks its gonna be wise to shell out £20 more for the peace of mind that I can a) buy and pick it up the same day b) take it back same day if any probs etc.

Online ordering is great but come Xmas time its best to steer clear IMHO. Play are a prime example.

Simon.
Old 15 December 2002, 01:46 PM
SL2
Scooby Regular

I ordered a digital camcorder from them and it came the next day.
Old 15 December 2002, 02:36 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Sony dolby digital system ordered last week came 4 days later, no probs.
Allan
Old 15 December 2002, 02:58 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)
I ordered an Ixus V3 last week and it came it 2 days.

Last year I bought a washing machine through them and cancelled it because they delivered the wrong one and could I not be bothered for them to sort it out.

Phil

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2002, 03:13 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Empire Direct - biggest bunch of to$$ers going in my experience.

Everythings sweet if your delivery arrives and the item works. But when the item is faulty and you need some customer service - you can forget it.

Ordered a Sony Wega in October, returned it 1-week later due to a fault. I was promised a replacement when they came to collect the faulty unit. No replacement. After 4-weeks waiting for a new unit, I cancelled my order and now a further 5-weeks after cancelling the order, I'm still waiting for my money back.

Legal proceedings are in progress through my credit card company.

Empire Direct = no customer service.
Old 15 December 2002, 11:22 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

I odered a Microwave from them two weeks ago. They said it would arrive within 5 days, after 5 days I telephoned every day until it arrived on day 9. I think it helped that I spoke to the same person each time. Got them to refund the delivery charge also.

Kiwi
Old 15 December 2002, 11:52 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I am after a new fridge, and a quick web-search came up with Empire Direct as the cheapest - that was until i noticed their delivery charge which was FORTY QUID!!!

Most other Internet companies (e.g. the Co-op) deliver for £11.99, so i reckon that ED are taking the pi55 [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] - low headline price but "hidden" extras (the delivery charge was not on the main product info page)

Thus i won't be able to experience how good or bad ED's service is, because i can actually buy the fridge cheaper from one of my local shops (as they deliver for free!).

mb
Old 16 December 2002, 11:18 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

ED - hopeless. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Ordered TV and Vid last December, and it finally arrived in February

Had to spend Xmas watching a 14" TV [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Never got anything from them - not even an apology. The video is now playing up, but I cant e arsed to go through them for a new one - will just get it fixed.

Idiots
Old 16 December 2002, 12:31 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Had a friend who struggled to receive the hoover he ordered. He ended up contacting Which Web Trader who were mentioned on the site. They said they had recently revoked their award and EmpireDirect had to refresh their website to reflect this.
Old 16 December 2002, 12:42 PM
rallyb0y02
Scooby Regular

well, a good company overall then??!!
Old 16 December 2002, 12:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

lol dont think I will be using them. A lot of non happy customers judging by this thread.
Old 16 December 2002, 01:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

John Lewis is worth a visit apparently
Old 16 December 2002, 01:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Had loads of problems with them too, won't go into detail, but suffice to say won't be using them again.
Old 16 December 2002, 01:33 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ED are not the cheapest either- there is always a little shop with its own web site that can found doing stuff for less- with these places you can phone BEFORE you order and ENSURE that it is in stock and will be sent that day.

T
Old 16 December 2002, 02:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

John Lewis is the Poodles!! Match the prices TOO!!

Pete
Old 16 December 2002, 02:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Agree - JLewis everytime.. or other local dealers who care. I used to buy stuff over the "innernet" all the time, but is such a bland way of shopping and after sales service felt like the same as been stranded in Bedford..

I bought a 32" Panasonic TV from a local shop, ok was £100 more than the best 'net price - but it came with a free person to unpack, set up and tidy the old packing away afterwards.

other + is that you are supporting your local community shops, not some bunch of scumbags on an industrial estate..
Old 16 December 2002, 02:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

+ the fact its easier to get support when it goes wrong.
Old 16 December 2002, 02:46 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

I'm not a scumbag
www.bestpricetv.com

Old 16 December 2002, 02:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I'm not a scumbag
ok - give me £1000
Old 16 December 2002, 02:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i bought my JVC camcorder for LOADS cheaper online from some "scum" in a London Industrial Estate www.dodgygear.co.uk or something!

anyway- it arrived with minor fault- one call to JVC and i was authorised to pop down my local JVC dealer and pick up the new part neeed!

would never buy from scum in a local shop- they can go under for all i care...long live the net!
Old 16 December 2002, 05:42 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

I experienced both excellent & unbelievably poor service on the same order with ED!

Ordered DVD player on the Sunday & it arrived via Parcelforce on the Wednesday

The 32" Sony TV, however, took 3 weeks & a cancelled delivery to arrive. In the interim I spent over 2 hours on the phone to ED (all bar about 5 minutes waiting in a call queue), before it eventually transpired that - allegedly - all the problems lay with the carrier. What really p@ssed me off was that no-one from ED could be bothered to call or e-mail me to let me know what was happening.

Would I use them again?? Only if the item was small enough to be delivered by Parcelforce!

Hugh

Did anyone else see the recent bit on the news that seemed to suggest that the ED boss had been donating large sums of money to an Islamic organisation now being exposed as a front for more sinister things??
Old 16 December 2002, 09:22 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

what would scooby do
OK but you give me a TV

Old 16 December 2002, 10:15 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Got an email back from them giving me a phone number to contact - sounds a bit ominous but tomorrow will tell.

Looking at some of the other responses it appears they may not be all they are cracked up to be.

Andrew
Old 18 December 2002, 09:21 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Well, having tried to get through to them on Monday, I found one of the numbers they gave me was for the wrong department - they put me on hold and forgot about me and then the other number just cut off after another 5 minutes of holding.

Eventually they called me back this pm to tell me the hi-fi (which I ordered over 3 weeks ago on 26th November) is now discontinued and out of stock. What sort of system do they use that it takes them this long to work this out?

I ended up going for an alternative with a promise of delivery on Monday - so we shall see what happens. I don't have time to go to the shops myself now so I had little choice but to go ahead. However, I have to admit I am not hopeful. What a sorry saga - they are not going on my browser favourites list for the future.

Andrew
Old 19 December 2002, 12:24 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Red face

OH GOD! just ordered an in car Kenwood MP3 player today BEFORE i have read this thread now i am worrying they promised it me it would be delivered by monday the only reason i chose them was because it was the cheapest price i could find for the model anywhere on the net at shops and in mags! i will have to wait and see what happens....
Old 22 December 2002, 10:28 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Well, the stuff turned up on Friday and Saturday - still took almost 4 weeks. Also, I think the stuff might have been shipped direct from the manufacturer, so they're just glorified brokers that add a margin for not doing very much - nice work if you can get it!
The final nail in the coffin might be when we plug the stuff in and find it doesn't work! However, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to get involved in any returns. Given their delivery track record, I dread their ability to handle anything more complicated.
Needless to say, I can't see myself using them again.
Old 23 December 2002, 02:39 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm well please with the service they told me my mp3 player would be delivered monday and it came friday, saved me £100 on halfords price to.