Internet fraud on eBay (allegedly) !!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2002, 11:25 PM
ThePosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi,

Recently put my old phone up for auction on eBay. All went well and the phone was sold by "Buy now" on Friday night. The buyer paid via Paypal on Friday night and I sent the phone on Saturday morning. Job done.....

Came home from work today to find a message saying there is a pending reversal on the payment for being fraudulent. After digging into it it looks like Paypal insurance only covers stuff shipped in the US so I may well be £210 out of pocket.

Anyone had a similar thing happen to them or have any advice?

Cheers,

Posh.
Old 16 December 2002, 11:48 PM
SL2
Scooby Regular

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=288779

Looks like paypal are not good to deal with.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:03 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

The guy will have loaded your account with a compromised credit car..... and once the scam was uncovered the money was reclaimed.

You need to get in touch with your local police.

I deal with these things day in and day out at work.

Give me a bell in office hours.... 0845 6060606 x22255 and I'll do what I can to point you in the right direction.

(oh - and if you do decide to phone, ask for PC Steve Hirst)
Old 17 December 2002, 08:34 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was on a course at Cisco a few weeks back. The instructor, an american guy was telling us about his experience with PayPal and EBay. I have to say it was very similar.

He put up a parachute and other bits for sale - around $5000 worth of kit. Several bids were made and eventually this guy won the bid and asked that the stuff be shipped to his nephew in Russia (at this stage, I would have been a little suspicious..). Guy pays via PayPal, the instructor received his money, so he ships the goods via FedEx using their global tracking service.

A day or so after the package has shipped, PayPal reverse the credit to his account stating possible fraudulent activity. The instructor tries to stop the package with FedEx who say they can't (what's the point of a global tracking service then?) and he loses $5000 worth of gear.

Our instructor did a lot of checking with PayPal and came to the same conclusion - you are only insured for goods upto about $300. Basically if you read their T&Cs, just by using their service they have no liability! So it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. It also suggests that PayPal are being less then efficient in doing basic credit card checks to see if a card has been reported stolen.

Use with great care would be my advice.

Chris
Old 17 December 2002, 08:54 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"Paypal = no comeback" is pretty much the situation if you're a seller.

If the buyer decides to dispute the transaction (chargeback), you take the hit. You're left trying to make civil proceedings against the person who ripped you off. You might get the police interested in criminal fraud charges, but I doubt it.

Paypal don't want to give two hoots about this.
Old 17 December 2002, 09:00 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Also, slightly related: see this...
Old 17 December 2002, 09:41 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I've had it done to me by someone in Indionesia (suprise suprise), paid by billpoint and then retracted the payment, tho I didnt send anything out because in my auction terms I stated that I would ship on cleared funds, ie once the funds had hit my bank, its the only way to protect yourself against the amount of fraudsters out there
Old 17 December 2002, 09:49 AM
lardypants
Scooby Regular

or to be totally safe as i do when seling phones on there, state no international shipping and no online payment accepted, cheque / postal order etc only, the only way to be safe mate, ive sold a fair few phones and on everyone i get mail from indonisian ***** asking to purchase now online etc etc, i just tell them to *** off as i dont accept stolen card numbers
Old 17 December 2002, 10:18 AM
ThePosh
Scooby Regular

Cheers BuRR, I'll give you a call today.

The buyer was based in Sheffield. I have since found out there are 13 people affected - a total of £2,854.

See here:

http://cgi3.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewBidItems&userid= fcomputersuk&completed=1&all=0&rows=25 (sorry don't know how to get the link to work).

The phone is still insured though - anyone know if I might be able to claim theft?
Old 17 December 2002, 10:23 AM
ChrisB

clicky http://cgi3.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayIS...&all=0&rows=25

Defo give BuRR a call ASAP...
Old 17 December 2002, 10:27 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Check with legal people, first call citizens advice bureau, but my guess is that you still have legal title to the goods as you have not received any consideration for them...
Old 17 December 2002, 10:30 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Maybe so, but I think getting his items back will be easier said than done.

I'm at work until 4pm.
Old 17 December 2002, 10:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

To avoid legal issues this is all IMHO!

Weren't Paypal/Ebay "allegedly" hacked last week? My girlfriend works for another online transactions company and told me this last week.

Simon.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:13 PM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

I don't think ebay were hacked as such, but there have been two attempts recently to get credit info from ebay customers. Copycat sites were setup and emails sent to ebay customers asking them to re-enter all their financial details etc. One site was ebayupdates.com the other was ebay_depo.tripod.com.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep it was the use of the word hacked which confused me. It looks like someone setup a domain called change-ebay.com or similar using a stolen credit card. Then emailed customers asking for their account details etc. TBH if people are that stupid then they deserve what happens. Would u give your wallet to a stranger who walks up to you in the street?

Simon.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:29 PM
lardypants
Scooby Regular

surely it must be easy to cath the ******??? he registered on ebay cant they locate trace an i.p?

secondly he must of been suplying ebay and the auction sellers an delivery address? surely catch him there? obviously its prob not his home address unless he she is a thick tvvat...lol
im just wondering how the hell they get away with it? ebay is stringent with registrations, i had to suply my credit card details just to register.
Old 17 December 2002, 03:13 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I think it will be much easier to trace the address the phone was delivered to