Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Television audio outputs

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2002, 10:27 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a dolby 5.1 output on my DVD player that I will connect to my AV processor when I get it that will allow me to watch DVDs in surround sound. I'm now looking to buy a new TV and want surround sound when available from normal TV programmes. Will I need a 5.1 output on the TV or will a normal stereo left and right channel do?
I like the look of the Philips 28pw9527 but notice that this does not ahave a digital output whereas a more expensive Philps does - any opinions.

Thanks Brendan
Old 17 December 2002, 11:07 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

IIRC notmal stereo can be decoded into Dolby Surround, but not Dolby digital 5.1.

That means you will get left, Right Centre & mono rears. You won't get stereo rear and specific bass effect - for that you need an optical connection which you will only find on a DVD.

Doesn't matter anyhow as nothing is broadcast in Dolby Digital anyway !

Could be wrong - stands back & waits to be corrected........
Old 17 December 2002, 11:55 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Sky Movies transmit a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack for some of its films but that's it, to my knowledge.
Don't have Sky myself so don't know if you can hook the Skybox up with the right connectors to reproduce that digital sound.
Old 17 December 2002, 11:59 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

As said really. The only 5.1 feed available currently is from Sky on the Sky Plus service. (and the Sky+ box therefore has the output)

I doubt (but who knows) that you'll ever get a 5.1 feed on Terrestial Digital 'cos it would take too much bandwidth. So if the TV hasn't got an Integrated Digital Tuner - you definately dont need one, If it has then at the monent ther are no 5.1 feeds so I doubt there's an iDTV with one and to be honest by the time one is available you may well need a particular set-top box/integrated eqiuvalent to receive it.

So in short , no

Deano