APS Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 11:45 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an APS camera and just want some advice on what in particular I should be looking at

I dont really want to spend any more than about £150 but I'm after something compact and with zoom facility, ideally I'd like a date stamp facility aswell. So far I've been looking at either the Canon Ixus 750 which I've seen for £138.90, or the Olympus I Zoom 2000 which is £128.90

Dies anyone have any opinions on these two models? Are there any others that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance, help would be appreciated!!!

Kelvin
Old 20 November 2000, 07:52 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Question

Any takers.........

Kelvin
Old 20 November 2000, 08:51 PM
ChrisB

Hi Kelvin.

A lot of people (me included) are going digital now for the obivious reasons.

I haven't see the new Canon Ixus APS range, but one of the guys at work had one of the really small original Ixus's - very nice camera; easy to use and took good quality pictures.

Sorry I can't offer any more help. Possibly something to find an independant camera shop for - I would guess they could help more than your local Dixons or Curry's.

Chris.
Old 20 November 2000, 09:24 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

How about the Vectris 200 by Minolta £85, Zoom, simple to operate. I bought one 12 months ago when they were a little bit more expensive. No regrets
Old 20 November 2000, 09:52 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the replies guys.

Chris - I did consider the digital route but two things put me off. One was the cost of the cameras - from what I've heard on here about them it's not worth investing in a cheap one and from what I've seen I'd need around £200 for a reasonable one. Secondly, it's primary use is going to be for travelling - I'm heading out to Australia next year for about 12 months and so I'm not going to be able to download the pictures that often , thus I felt it was sensible to go for a film operated one (old fashioned me :P), and APS seemed like a good system.

Thanks anyway though - especially for the info on the Ixus range - much appreciated. Also thankyou CLS, I'll have a look in my local Jessops at the weekend to see what they have in the way of Mintola.

Thankyou again for replying guys

Kelvin
Old 22 November 2000, 11:25 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

APS is a doddle to use, I've got a Nikon and got the parents a Canon IXUS, best feature if you are travelling is that you can swap films over mid roll, so you can use the big 40exp rolls and so use less space

Disadvantage is that quality is lower than 35mm film, but still pretty good, you will get the best quality by not using the panoramic setting , but the "middle" one, this setting uses all of the available film area, the panoramic uses only part of it for a bigger picture.

Over all unless you are seriously into photography APS is the best bet for travelling

hehe love this spell checker, suggested I change 40exp to sexpot LOL
Old 23 November 2000, 09:19 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Kelvin

We have one of the original IXUS. It's a classy piece of kit...

Cue me trying to take a piccy and a lad of about 7 appears in the viewfinder saying "wow cool"...

Well put together not too small not too big, and it takes pretty reasonable snaps.

I'd buy another one. Recommended.

Old 23 November 2000, 10:20 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks again Guys,

Paul - do you happen to know if the mid-roll change facility is available on the IXUS Z50??? - I had a look on the spec sheet the only thing that it says is that you can eject the film at any stage - can you reload them again and continue where you left off??? - would definitely be a useful feature if it does have it

Thanks,

Kelvin
Old 23 November 2000, 11:18 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I too have the original ixus. The new ixus (not sure of exact model - it's the ixus, not l1 or stuff like that) does come with mid-roll change.

One thing I've found is that the quality of APS isn't up to 35mm standard - reason being that the exposed surface is quite a bit smaller.

Still, IXUS is excellent for what I want it for, and I've bought a cheap digital camera (Kodak DC215) for digital work. Picked it up in the states for the bumper price of $180 (staples made a boo-boo...)

APS is simple to use, but quality isn't as good as 35mm, processing more expensive, etc. Still, I'm sticking with it!
Old 23 November 2000, 06:41 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Don't know off hand weather it does or not, but I stingly suspect it does, If you can take the film out mid roll, that generally means you can can plonk it back in and start where you left off.

Old 26 November 2000, 06:18 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks again for the replies guys,

I took a trip down to my local "Jessops" today and had a closer look once more at the two cameras - I think I'm pretty much set on the IXUS Z50. Had a word with the sales assistant there and it turns out that although you can remove the film half-way through you can't insert it again (seems a bit weird and pointless to me that you can remove but not re-insert!! ) - not really a problem though, just would have been nice .

Thanks for all of the input, much appreciated!

Kelvin

[This message has been edited by kelvin (edited 26 November 2000).]