Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Model train woes

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2002, 01:42 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girliefriend's dad managed to knock a pint of Fosters over the track of her nephew's traintrack. The train bombed thru the puddle and then ground to a halt. We expected it to be ok once it had dried but no joy.

Due to the way the inside of the train is laid out I dont think it will have got onto the coils of the motor, but following the contacts up from the wheels along the wires, it goes thru a ceramic resister (i think its a resister as only 2 legs).

Is it likely that this is the culprit? We dont have a multimeter available to us to check it out. Far better for it to be a 30p resistor than the whole motor etc.

Any thoughts?

Andy
Old 28 December 2002, 01:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

You'll almost certainly find that your problem is with the pickups. They're probably not conducting any more, or clogged up with sugary gunge.
If you can get into the loco, try wiping all the pickups/contacts/wheel surfaces etc with a cotton bud moistened with CLEAN water, then one moistened with meths etc. Be VERY careful if you have to use lighter fluid or nail polish remover, as both can attack the model's plastic base/bodyshell/PAINTWORK!!!
The little resistor you spoke of is almost certainly a capacitor and is there to stop the loco motor from affecting TV/radio reception. It's unlikely to be affecting the performance of the loco.
If all else fails, take it back to the dealer, or a good model shop, believe me, they're used to this sort of thing!
Cheers, Alcazar
Old 28 December 2002, 01:55 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply mate. I just spoke to her and her dads already taken it to the model shop.

Cheers

Andy