Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2002, 04:02 PM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be buying a radar detector VERY soon, and I'm trying to find which one I should buy. From the outset I'm looking at either a Geodesy Plus or one of these Road Angel units. Have any of you had any experience with these units? Or can you recommend another one. I'll be getting a radar 'Jammer' in the next few weeks too, from the states. Does anyone have any horror stories?!

The fuzz are starting to annoy me with all these cameras and their unmarked V6 Vectras, so this is my counter attack!!! They must like 306 Rallyes or something!!!

Huge thanks in advance.

Huw
Old 31 December 2002, 05:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

must say i have a beltronics and it seems to do the job

cheers

big sinky
Old 31 December 2002, 05:17 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Got a geodesy(aka. morpheous)it hasn't missed a camera yet ,the "plus" model is better thanthe standard geo. go for that one its worth the extra, s5 snooper is also good but havent had the chance to detect a radar trap proper with it yet though . If you do a lot of driving on unfamiliar roads then the geodesy is the one i'd prefer of the two
Old 31 December 2002, 06:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
radar detectors only detect gatso and laser, if you think its gonna pick up an unmarked car with video survielance your in for a big shock and a few points, even when you know where the cameras are you still go thru them slow when your detector says there off just in case
Old 31 December 2002, 06:36 PM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Have a radar detector but rarely use it. Problems with lots of false alerts in cities and will not pick up unmarked cars on motorways.
Remember all the detector will do will give you a brief chance to slow down - at best you may knock 20-30mph of speed.
Radar GPS locators sound a much better bet as you will have warnings before entering detection zone.
Old 31 December 2002, 11:42 PM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

No, I suppouse they wouldn't pick up an unmarked car, I'll stick to the old VHF receiver for locating them!!

I've not heard much about the Bel range, not many people seem to stock them, so I tended to think it may not be that popular.
Was looking at the Snoopers at Halfords today, but looking at what they offer in car alarms I was, er, reluctant to take too much notice of them! I've seen the Geodesy Plus for £399 and the Road Angel for £375, which seems to be the one and only prices for these, no competition at all!

Many thanks for the replies,

Huw

[Edited by huwjones - 12/31/2002 11:45:03 PM]
Old 01 January 2003, 01:47 AM
kwiky
Scooby Regular

go for a gps unit (road angle or origin blue I gps system) they tell you where they are not if it's live
i run a blue eye and a snooper with a clean licence snooper and other radar units will give you a lot of false alarms (just the nature of the unit) and the gps based will make you slow down if it's live or not
snooper have just released a gps and radar unit (can't remember what it's called) but it should be good, alway be aware that gps systems are backed by a database and if this isn't kept upto date then you system will become dated.
enjoy the minefield
oh and a jammer will get you an instant pull off the law as they know you are jamming their signal

[Edited by kwiky - 1/1/2003 1:49:22 AM]
Old 01 January 2003, 02:10 AM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Yeah get a gps all the way and a laser jammer tho u might get into trouble for using that. The road angel is one of the best gps's as it also has an rs232 port so you can connect your laptop/pda and use it as a gps sat nav tool.
Old 01 January 2003, 11:53 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
i have a bell detector but dont know how good the warnings are as every time i have it in the car all the gatsos i go past arent on, i would buy a valentine 1 no one slags those off and they always come top of every review, but keep well away from snoopers.
Old 01 January 2003, 11:56 AM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

Yes, I did hear that the jammers legality was 'dubious'!!! Bloody funny though!! I'll have to hide it well!

The Morpheous Geodesy plus is sold with a modem to update the database, all in it's £350. I saw the new GPS Snooper in halfords Yesterday for £375 excluding modem. The Origin Blue is £399 from www.networxautomotive.com Does anyone else have this one? I really need the best one!

Huw
Old 01 January 2003, 12:09 PM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

The only problem I have with the Valentine One is the £600 price tag! I do want the best, but for a sensible price (£400!).

Huw
Old 01 January 2003, 12:43 PM
ak1
Scooby Newbie

I've got a valentine 1 radar detector + origin blue i gps detecter+le850 laser jammer they all work very well the jammer has saved my **** a few times
ak1
Old 01 January 2003, 01:16 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Very interesting, i've had a jammer fitted for over 6mths now, but never used it 'in anger'.Did the police look confused when you passed them??
Old 01 January 2003, 02:56 PM
fubar
Scooby Regular

There's a new Snooper with GPS AND Radar+Laser Detector technology. Would seem to offer the best of both worlds.
Old 01 January 2003, 03:37 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Snooper S6-R neo
Old 01 January 2003, 04:41 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

And it will cost ya!

A free 6 month subscription is included with your purchase after which a monthly service charge of £4.95 is payable (or £49.50 per annum)
Old 01 January 2003, 05:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Taken from a site. www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

So what next, well I brought with me some of the free stuff sent to me by manufactures of defensive equipment, in this case a Laser Jammer, $480 worth of jammer 400mtrs to 10mtrs cover they say. With a simple two minute installation.

We all wanted to see if it worked. We fitted it to our test car, as per the instructions supplied and off we went, four runs down the road later and I was sure glad I never bought it.

Graham just smiled and said we have not seen anything that works yet. He then went to tell me a story about a driver with a £500 Detector, Radar and Laser. He complained when he was stopped that it never went off, and to make matters worse, when they pointed the Laser gun at it with only a few inches between the units it still never went off.

Old 01 January 2003, 09:05 PM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

Hmm, that Snooper has all the features I need, but opinion seems divided about the make.

You can't be hanging about much, ak1, if you've got all 3!!! That seems to be the best way though, cover your **** as much as possible!! Did the cops give chase when they realised something was amiss? Did they catch onto the fact you were jamming at all?

I'm getting some good reports off some websites about the Bel Euro 550, EVO mag seemed to like the Bels in general too.

Not much closer to choosing the one I want!! They all have their good points and their bad points!!

I appreciate all the replies, getting more sense out of this site than any of the others!!

Huw
Old 01 January 2003, 09:28 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

I like the sound of the bel 550 also

its just a bugger that its no good with lasers
and u got a good chance of getting zapped by one of those.

Still if it stops me getting at least one gatso ticket, it's worth it.

whats the cheepest price you found for one and where from?
Old 01 January 2003, 10:02 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Question

Can any of the detectors/GPS units be wired in, ie, not via the ciggie lighter socket? Just that I'm running a StreetPilot (they're great BTW) from that.

It's a real shame that us owners of GPS units can't buy the databases to save having all these duplicate units! :-(

Mike
Old 01 January 2003, 10:03 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 01 January 2003, 10:08 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Wink

recordproduction.com - yes, can be hardwired. done so with my s5, instructions here:-

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...d&threadid=150

Old 01 January 2003, 10:08 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Bel's do have laser alerts! Had a Beltronic 990 for 3 years now and it has saved my ar$e loads of times. Has the facilty for town driving as well as Highway, so you don't get all the false alerts from automatic doors from shops etc. while driving in town. Also the 360 degree pick-up is a good thing.
Old 01 January 2003, 11:30 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I've got one of the first Snooper S6 Neo's and I have to say it's excellent. It's not cheap but it has the best of both worlds - The GPS and the top of the range Snooper RLD all in one package.

It's RRP is £495 but I got mine for £450 as I was offered an introductory discount - Should be able to wangle it for the £450 though, can give you details if you like.

My mate has the Road Angel which is very good but at £379 it makes the Snooper a better buy it's a much better and more refined unit. The bonus with the Snooper is it has it's own built in Modem so you don't need to have a PC handy to update it, just plug it into the phone line and in about 2 mins you are ready to rock.

The Snooper will tell you exactly what speed you are doing via the GPS (Which is why I know those two ****** who pulled me last weekend for supposedly doing 90mph were lying) and an alarm you can set to warn you when you reach a certain speed.
Old 02 January 2003, 12:08 AM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
I bought a snooper S5r about a month ago after i saw it recomended
at www.ukspeedtrap.co.uk. I paid £295 for it at www.snoopershop.com
So far found it works ok. You do get the odd false alert from surveylance cameras outside some buildings , but not too many.
It certainly picks up which gatsos have cameras in them and
gives you reasonable notice. Useful when in unknown areas.
Can't judge on lasers yet as havent come across one that i know of.

Good luck

Greg.
Old 02 January 2003, 07:59 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

I have a Valentine 1, and yeah its expensive overhere but I got mine for approx £260 while i was in Vegas. Picks up Gatso's and Laser detection units. Lets just say my licence is still clean!

Worth every penny...
Old 02 January 2003, 04:43 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I would avoid buying your jammer from the states as the radar bands used are very different.

I have a Bel Euro 550 which is the same as the Vector 990i sold in the states if you go to www.beltronics.com have a look at the 990i and it will show you the different bands in use in each country.

not much point in buying a jammer that will not jam the ranges used in the UK.

in my opinion you need both a GPS device and a laser / radar detector, and if you want to go nuts a jammer as well. any of these on its own is not enough.

I bought the detector because i tend to do the same routes so know where the cameras are but I need protecting from mobile units.

p.s these unmarked vans by the side of the road anybody know what technology they use ?? radar laser or is it a measured distance. havent seen one for to test my detector against.
Old 02 January 2003, 07:45 PM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

Good point about the american bands being different. Interestingly I stumbled across a jammer made by Snooper in the back of the Tweeks catalogue, and is available as a package with a detector (can't remember which one). There was a good saving compared with buying them seperately.

Bel 550 is usually around £450 I think. I'm sure I saw it for £320 somewhere.... £350 at www.radardirect.co.uk there's a special offer on at the moment I think.

The new Snooper looks like 'the one', it detects fixed and mobile cameras. £500 is a lot, but it's that or buy a GPS unit and a seperate radar detector which could be at least £700!!

The camera vans have laser type cameras, well, ours do anyway. They just point the red dot at the car and pull the trigger to make £60!!

Huw
Old 02 January 2003, 07:48 PM
huwjones
Scooby Newbie

Stu WRX, if you could wangle another of the Snooper S6 Neos for £450 I would appreciate it!! Can't find it in many places on the net, it's £499 where I can!
Old 02 January 2003, 11:22 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Huw

I bought mine from http://www.snooper.co.uk/snooper-s6-r-gatso-and-radar-detector.htm

My contact was a very friendly girl by the name of Carly -

Carly Bickley Sales Administrator Snooper Radars Direct From Intranetics Ltd Grundey Street Stockport SK7 4EU 0161 456 3000 0161 456 5000 cbickley@intranetics.co.uk Snooper - The Leading Driver Safety Systems

If you want one I will email Carly and give her your email if you want.

They did a price match after I was offered it from http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/ by email -

Hi Stu,
S6-R is not yet available, but we are taking orders now and offering 10% discount from the RRP price of £499.95
Our company will be one of the first to get them, when they are available.
Best regards,

Sales.
Direct Car Parts
--------------------------------------------
Web: http://www.directcarparts.co.uk
Email: sales@directcarparts.co.uk
Tel: (0191) 5166426

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors