Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help -Consumer Goods - Singapore

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2000, 09:09 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My inlaws are off to Singapore tomorrow. I'm skint so the most I can afford to give them to bring me back a Christmas pressie is £100.
A seiko kinetic would be nice or a digital camera.Is this realistic or even in Singapore is a £100 digital camera not up to the task? Anybody help please?
Why didn't I think of this forum earlier
Old 28 December 2000, 07:58 AM
whizzer
Scooby Regular

Cool

100 quid is around 300 bucks . Bargin like mad and you should get a good deal . Using cash will get even a better deal .

The best place to go I would say would be 'Far east plaza' at Orchard road , lots of electical shops and shop owners who can do some good deals . Another place is Sim lim tower , massive place with wall to wall electrical shops .

However if the thing you buy goes wrong over here in the UK don't expect the manufacturer to repair it under warranty .
Also if yer inlaws buy anything with GST , singapores equivalent VAT tax make sure they get it refunded at the airport , I think it's only 7% or something but it still saves money .

Old 28 December 2000, 10:42 AM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't expect bargains these days when buying from the Far East. I spend the best part of 2 months a year out in the far east on business and have used a lot of my spare time looking for "good deals". What you will generally find with the desirable things we all want is that if you take the UK price, knock off VAT and duty this is the price you'll be looking at if you get a good deal. However, if you're not careful, when coming back into the UK and being an honest person you declare your purchase it can work out more than a normal high street price.

In my experience my recommendation is this (gadgets etc). Do your home work in the UK 1st. If you shop around in the UK you can in some cases buy cheaper, then look at the Far East price, then consider the not so easy to return/guarantee issue.

Or, just treat yourself, it is a present after all, s*d the cost!

Buzz