Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice required on car tax offence...

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 08:35 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sisters boyfriend just came home very upset.
He's got a ticket for failure to display his tax disc.
The car was parked in a public place and a ticket was on it when he returned to it.
He had the tax disc at home (bought 31/12/02) and forgot to fit it.
The police told him that he will face a £200 fine and 3 penalty points, but I have my doubts as I thought that:-
a) Failure to display a tax disc was a fixed penalty £60 fine
b) Failure to display a tax disc is a non-pointable offence

I've searched the governments web sites and as far as I can tell I am correct in the above assumptions.
Anyone out there got experience of this offence or any 'boys in blue' who know the facts care to comment?

I think the coppers in the station were ending their shift, so they just told him the first thing that came into their heads and slammed the phone down.

Old 07 January 2003, 08:46 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

I think you will find they are hitting on this big time now.
He will be lucky if he only gets £200 fine and 3 points
Old 07 January 2003, 09:15 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Try asking on www.scooby.burratha.com .I think that is the correct address, its on here somewhere if not. Usually good advice from Plod on here.

Think you may be on a sticky one here, very disappointing when you have record of paying though as everyone gets distracted now and again, even the police.

Its the old story of targeting motorists

Old 07 January 2003, 09:19 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

I know the £200 bit is true (sorry ) as I replaced my tax disk today and noticed on the bottom of the renewal thingy that it was a £200 fine (remembered as I thought it was a bit steep!)

http://scooby.burratha.com clicky for you! Very useful website, and I'm not just saying that as I spend alot of time there

Good luck...

Jen
Old 07 January 2003, 09:21 PM
Pauleds
Scooby Regular

It's utter rubbish.The offence is dealt with by the DVLA by the issue of a form called a CLE 2/6.The officers should not and could not have issued an endorsable ticket.These can only be issued in the prescence of the driver and are only applicable to endorsable road traffic offences.
If your mate has tax then when the form arrives at DVLA sent by the Police and DVLA check that he is taxed then no further action.
FACTS.I'm a Traffic Bobby.
Paul.
Old 07 January 2003, 09:52 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the feedback, but a particular thanks for the excellent info from Pauleds.
I just passed the info on to my sisters boyfriend and he's a much happier chappy.

Many thanks
Old 08 January 2003, 01:57 AM
knuckledragger
Scooby Regular

Pauleds words ring true with me. No points fullstop. And when the form arrives at DVLA, they check to see that a VEL has been issued with no further action. BTW it's a CLE 2/8 now (combined for goods vehicles), yawn...
Old 08 January 2003, 07:42 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Excellent news So if I look like I'm going to get a ticket I'll just leg it then it won't be in my prescence (winky, I'm not serious ) - excellent advice as ever from Pauleds

Let us know how he gets on
Old 08 January 2003, 05:21 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sheepsplitter,

I got done with this about 6mths ago. Took disc off to clean car and popped out leaving it lying in the house.

Local plod spotted me on a roundabout, followed me for 5mins, then pulled me over.

They said they would report me to the DVLA for not displaying the tax and I was asked to show my insurance documents and driving license within 7 days to the nearest cop shop.

DVLA sent me a letter explaining it was an offence, but they weren't going to prosecute as their records showed I paid the road tax.

The cops were OK about things after checking the car wasn't nicked and my reason seemed genuine (nice shiny car helped). What would have really pi$$ed them off is not having insurance or an MOT, which is usually a indication with no tax disc.

Stefan
Old 08 January 2003, 05:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh and another thing,

The cops said that some people put off renewing their road tax (say for 3 mths) and if they get caught, the DVLA will fine them. They said is usually just the amount of unpaid tax + a small percentage.

Stefan
Old 01 July 2003, 08:52 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I thought the offence of purely not displaying the disc was the same as not having one at all? (Probably to prevent having one disc for several cars.)

However, sounds a bit harsh, maybe worth appealing if he can prove when the tax was paid for?

[Edited by DaveD - 1/7/2003 8:55:21 PM]