Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

wrapping kids in cotton wool

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 05:38 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is sad -- but it's litigation culture. Imagine: little Oliver or Tarquin gets a snowball in the eye. Parents spot quick buck opportunity and sue school for negligence of duty of care etc etc ...

I remember in a school "science" lesson, age 11 or so, the teacher showed us mercury (liquid metal, coo ....) and asked us to pass it round to each other from hand to hand so we could feel its weight etc. Can you imagine what would happen if a teacher did that now? The whole school would be closed as a biohazard ...
Old 08 January 2003, 05:38 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Nah, schools are silly these days. Im pretty sure my kid doesn't have a blackboard in his classroom anymore. Its a chalkboard.

I've told him its blackboard. Its a board, and its black....

I've yet to talk to anybody who has a problem with this.

Not allowed to play Conkers anymore either....

Dinner Ladies are now Dinner People...... (yes really)

Its mad.
Old 08 January 2003, 05:40 PM
ChrisB

Haven't some schools stopped 'Sports Day' being competative as well?

Life's all about competition...
Old 08 January 2003, 05:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Go outside and whap a full-pelt snowball off his face yourself....that'll toughen him up

I know what you mean though, its a sad state of affairs! But, you have to look at where the schools, etc are coming from. Lets say all the teachers stand back and enjoy watching the kids horsing around and having fun! Then a snowball with a bit of ice or a stone takes a kids eye out. What do thats kids parents do:

1. Nurse their sick child back to health, thank their lucky stars he/she is alive and get on with life.

2. Sue the school and go to the papers

Welcome to the new millenium mate
Old 08 January 2003, 05:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Damn you Brickboy...ya beat me to it
Old 08 January 2003, 05:51 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jeez.... I remember getting the slipper for being a **** at school - bet they do community service instead nowadays!

Mak. (About to roll his lad in a huge snowball!)
Old 08 January 2003, 05:52 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Damn
When I read the thread Title I thought it was a new fashion statement or fetish
Alas
Old 08 January 2003, 06:01 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Dinner Ladies are now Daytime Assistants in our local schools
Old 08 January 2003, 06:06 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

It is a really shame nowadays

Kids cant play like we used to,i cant even let my 8 year old lad go out on his bike on his own incase some weirdo does anything!!!
When i was 8,i was off with my mates on our bikes making dens and stuff.

Not Now,thats Society for you.
Old 08 January 2003, 07:06 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Haven't some schools stopped 'Sports Day' being competative as well?

yep,sporst day is utter bollox.team events that take 30 mins to get the bored kids into order and 20 secs to do some sort of combination with rings,buckets and sponges that no bugger can understand.

madness........when i was a lad we got caned for pouring acid onto Ashley Garsides head.Them were the days.
Old 08 January 2003, 07:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

We grew up and got tough playing in old quaries, building sites etc, making go-karts, crashing them into ditches and rivers, exploring old mines, making treee houses,making underground dens,loadsa other stuff.

Now kids get to ten years old and start carrying knives around, roming the streets, and acting like little gangstas
So true and so very sad I sort of feel into the transitional generation between the above two and I get so jelous of the story's that my parents tell of their youth....sounds way more interesting than mine
Old 08 January 2003, 09:12 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

carl

try the new all songing electric nit zapper,its fun to use even if you dont have nits.It fries the buggers and sings when it does it.

i use to play in quarries that had dumped cars just inches from the surface of the water.Now,kids can't smash their own faces in with ice *****.

what is the world coming to
Old 08 January 2003, 09:29 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Smile

When I was kid we used to eat dirt etc just like in the madness song- we also had regular beatings, proper school bullies and the opportunity to sniff as much glue as we wanted.

Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it.

Old 08 January 2003, 09:39 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I used to go around the village with the dustman once a week when I was little. Then depending how many of us there were, we all used to jump in the cab, and go for a 20mile run to the landfill site.....

Can't imagine that goes on these days..... I bet kids don't even help the dustmen anymore

I have fond memories of doing that, might be odd, but when your 5-9 years old, it was fun.

Do they stand around and watch people dig up the road these days? Can't say I notice that anymore (I used to do it).
Old 08 January 2003, 09:56 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

When I was kid we used to eat dirt etc just like in the madness song- we also had regular beatings, proper school bullies and the opportunity to sniff as much glue as we wanted.

Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it.

lol!

in a strange sadistic way,it does!

I eat dirt as well,but that will be banned also no doubt
Old 08 January 2003, 10:12 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

You'll be pleased to hear that on the way home today I saw a bunch of kids engaged in a pitched battle on a park green. Two Snow walls and a fearsome amount of fire being exchanged
The worst thing was controlling my urge to join in!!!
astraboy.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

I eat dirt as well,but that will be banned also no doubt
What, Still?
Old 08 January 2003, 11:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

**** that Astra.....I'd have wadded right into the middle of that bad boy
Old 08 January 2003, 11:14 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

what a bunch of moaners.

if you ran a school you'd ban snowballs as well.....why on earth let kids make hard packed lumps of ice and lob them at each other...the point is what? at best you have kids in wet clothes who are then uncomfatable for the rest of the day and at worst you have kids hurt....who wants that?

what would make you happy? slap them about and send them up chimneys?

just because some change is bad it doesnt mean everything from 20 years ago was perfect.

T
Old 08 January 2003, 11:16 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Talking

so Tiggs, you never went out in the snow and got soaking wet? yeah, right!

I'm really looking forward to the snow so I can go out to play, get wet and have fun!

AJ
Old 08 January 2003, 11:21 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

what would make you happy? slap them about and send them up chimneys?

if my chimney was blocked it would make me very happy.

Old 08 January 2003, 11:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lots of stuff have changed including the office environment and in particular the 'local authority office environment' I was talking to the senior planner today (steve - a great laugh) and he was telling me about his senior planner when he was cutting his teeth (many years ago). This guy used to let his mail pile up for a few months and then with a big sweep would push it all into the bin and say, 'phew, knackered after doing my mail...who fancies a cuppa'!

We couldn't do this even if we wanted to cause the public phone up and demand to know what happened to their usually irrelevant letter. Also, all incomming mail is tagged, scanned, given a number, checked and must be electronically discharged as well

Another time this jerry guy bought a second hand power drill during his lunch and then drilled through the office well to, 'check it worked'! What a guy Nothing that a well placed callender didn't hide I couldn't imagine the uproar if I did something like that these days. Hell you get a written warning these days if you install worms on the computer to play during your lunch hour :rolleys: In fact, now you can't install exe. files on the computer at all!! Getting on SN is a chore but I've found a way

We're all a little too responsible these days (take the do-gooder SN society for example ) and what does it acheive??? We're all over-worked, over-stessed, in constant fear or terrorists, war, fuel surge, muggers, rapists, neds!!! Tisk, Tisk, Tisk! We all need to chill out in life, have more fun and have self-reponsiblity! That means if your neighbour bumps you in the leg whilst reversing out their driveway you don't sue them but rather realise you should have got out the fricken way
Old 08 January 2003, 11:25 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

ps Tiggs

<serious non-p1sstaking mode>

kids are way over protected and programme by parents these days.They should be allowed to live rather than forced into training for a huge salary in the city from the age of 4.Yeah,having wet pants and snowball fights is part of it,although its a good point.
Old 08 January 2003, 11:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

how many of you "let em have it tough" people have your own kids???

my kids come home from school and play in the snow then- tonight they played on the drive by themselves- in our quiet close this is a low risk venture though some would say "ohhhh, watch out for serial killers", im more concerned that when AT school they are able to do their work without distraction- if that means banning snowballs to keep them dry then so be it- belive me i appreciate that kids need to learn lifes lessons (we changed school last year because the sports day was a "ohh, no losers we all win" joke) but getting them wet when they should be working is not a lesson they need.

T

ps- how many of you went out a lunch time and got soaked then went back into work dripping wet?
Old 08 January 2003, 11:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dba,
from your first post:
"he's not bothered,they made snowmen,but i'm gutted"

would he have been bothered if he'd got soaked then had to sit at his desk the rest of the day? would you have felt that he'd learnt something usefull?

when a Head master sits down and has a conversation that prob starts like this "ok, last year the kids got wet, the school got wet, work suffered, we had 4 minor injuries and 5 parent complaints...." i dont think he's doing it to ensure he turns out a bunch of whimps primed to dominate world commerce.

T
Old 08 January 2003, 11:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ever get the feeling Tiggs is a headteacher He speaks in an authoritive tone too
Old 08 January 2003, 11:49 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

I've got kids and I think that you can't wrap them up in Cotton wool. The eldest has her own Pony and has fallen off a few times. Falling of is part of the game, and if you want to play, you have to live with tht risk. Don't deliberately put them in danger, but don't want to stifle their fun either. Weren't you a kid once ?.
Old 08 January 2003, 11:54 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

tbh Tiggs,considering its the first time in his life,and perhaps,who knows perhaps the last,and certainly just one day for petes sake,i wouldn't have been bothered at all.I don't push his education so hard that one afternoon is gonna bother me.

and there is a little bit of literary licence in these threads! I don't deliberately aim for a "you have to have it hard laddy" style of parenting,but neither do i think a few wet socks would hurt anyone.

the last thing on my mind would have been to have bollocked the Headmaster for letting my kid play in the snow,would never even cross my mind.There are enough parents already at that school that monitor their children that closely to be that bothered,i don't need to.In fact,i find the whole concept of worrying about one lost afternoons learning mildly sad.

btw,i also let him out in a cul-de-sac and have a snowball fight,and great fun it ws too!

but perhaps you are right,on balance at that school they would have certainly got many complaints about wet clothes so i can understand them not wanting the wrath of overly hacked off parents descending the following day,but i still stand by the *general* comment that kids are wrapped up in so much cotton wool these days they are missing out on an important part of growing up.

having fun!
Old 08 January 2003, 11:57 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

read my previous post,I agree,sort of.

Quick Reply: wrapping kids in cotton wool