Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Balck ice= CRASH = MOT ran out , help ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 04:53 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your worst fears maybe realised but I'll leave that to the experts.

Advice, if it's drivable get it MOT'd today or speak to a friendly garage and get a test appointment logged prior to the incident.
Old 09 January 2003, 04:53 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

..umm IIRC you're done over a barrell with your trousers down with no valid MOT..
Old 09 January 2003, 04:54 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

My dad had an old £500 Bedford van, which he forgot to MOT, it was a month out of MOT when he braked to avoid another car which had jammed on the anchors, went onto the other side of the road and took out a brand spanking £30,000 Merc.
My dad's insurance company paid for a new Merc and asked my dad for his details, he then realised that his MOT was out, so sent his old one instead hoping they wouldnt notice. But they sent him out a request for the new MOT as they noticed it.
He sent a letter saying he had forgot to MOT it.
In the end they sent a letter out for my dad saying that as his MOT was expired, the van was worth £350 instead of £500.

My dad was pretty relieved, thought he was going to have to pay for the Merc out of his own pocket.

So..no it doesn't invalidate your insurance AFAIK, but it does lower the value of your vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 09 January 2003, 04:55 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with above. try and get it MOTed. I mate got pulled the other day and his had run out the police gave him a seven day wonder and he got it MOTed the next day. They advised him that this should be ok when he produced his details. How bad is the car?

Paul
Old 09 January 2003, 05:11 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

the car is not driveable and is currently in a repair yard as had to be picked up by recovery vehicle, so even if i could get it to a garage it wouldn't pass an mot in its current state, last MOT ran out in November 2002 ??????
Old 09 January 2003, 05:18 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

just gotta hope then. Was it an expensive car?
Old 09 January 2003, 05:23 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

318 Ti Compact Sport Ltd Edition,25,000mls £10k's worth,
expensive enough , did you see my edit on 1 st post?

Would it be better to say , when i sent the form off to change the reg in October( as i did, with MOT cert) i don't recall having it back so forgot it had run out ??
Old 09 January 2003, 05:25 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

need you to mail me off line might and it is a big might be able to help u but i will not discuss this on a public forum
Old 09 January 2003, 05:26 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

Happened to me! had a crash that wasnt my fault, got a producer checked documents MOT had expired went to police station just said i forgot they told me i would recieve telephone confirmation what was happening from the copper that attended the accident. About a week later got the phone call by which time the car was MOT'd it was quite new back then and went straight through and they told me no further action was to be taken ppphhhheeeeeewwwwwww!
Old 09 January 2003, 05:26 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

No didn't see the edit. It may be worth a try (lets face it nothing lost) You maybe lucky and they don't ask for it I don't think I ever have been asked for mine after and accident
Old 09 January 2003, 05:28 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Ignoring the insurance side of things for a moment (As you never know what an insurance company is going to say) there is the fact that driving without a current MOT is criminal offence and you will be prosecuted for that most likely.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but you best front up to the police as soon as. Call/Go see the copper who gave you the producer and explain what has happened, and tell him he has you bang to rights, he may not report it if you are humble enough. Just don't try to make excuses to justify your mistake, say what you did was plain wrong, you'll take what's coming to you and hope for the best.
Old 09 January 2003, 06:52 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You will probably get done for having no MOT, but I cant really see how an insurance company can invaildate becasue of no MOT.
After all, ( Here in NI anyway ) It clearly states on the MOT certificate
"This certificate relates only to the condition of the vehicle at teh time of testing. It should not be regarded as evidence of the condtion of the vehicle at any time."

So basically the MOT certificate/test you pay for, is completely worthless, and just another way of enforcing a pointless money making scam/law for the government. I dont see how an insurance claim could be invalid due to the above. After all, as long as the car was roadworthy at the time of the crash, then that is more important, and any inspection would be able to tell that.
I have seen new cars ( less than MOT age ) that are clearly dangerous on the roads, yet nothing is ever mentioned about them.
Old 09 January 2003, 07:10 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I'd read the small print in your insurance doucuments, if they realise that the car did'nt have an MOT they may well try and wriggle out of a claim. Also you will probably get fined by the police. For the price of a fine theres probably a way out of this. Then once the car is repaired you'd probably want to MOT it again to check its roadworthyness.
Old 09 January 2003, 07:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that an Insurance Company will honour any 3rd Party Claim - BUT as for a claim for a car owned by the policyholder and not having a current MOT I am not too sure?? They 'may' try and weasel out of any payment? There are MOT's in every pub in the land - buy someone a drink

Good Luck

Pete
Old 09 January 2003, 09:49 PM
normarker2
Scooby Regular

I got done for speeding and got a producer, then realised my MOT was overdue. To cut a long story short, it turns out lack of MOT does not invalidate your insurance in the eyes of the law, courts will condider you to be legally insured but just see what happens if you try to claim on it!
Old 10 January 2003, 09:02 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Something similar happened to a friend; he was papping it, but didn't have any troubles in the end.

Best thing to do is ask a friendly insurance broker for their advice; I daresay Rum* would give you his thoughts...

Don't worry until you know there's something to worry about!
Nick.
Old 10 January 2003, 09:07 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Were you on your way to get the car MOT'd ...
Old 10 January 2003, 09:16 AM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Mine's in for an MOT this morning so figers crossed there's nothing needing doing.

An MOT certificate is only actually valid for one day after all!
Old 10 January 2003, 09:45 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Smile

I believe that if the police PNC your car, they can see whether it is MOT'd or not. They can certainly see whether it's taxed as my MR2 has about 7 PNC checks on it, all with TEST written on them as they used my car as the test number plate whenever the PNC PC went down and then came back up...

Old 10 January 2003, 11:08 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Someone ran into my other half and wrote his car off. He had no MOT and got a producer. He took the old MOT in and the police said it was a none endorsable offence and he would get a fine. That was July and he's heard nothing yet. I wouldn't bother telling the insurance company it had no MOT!! As for getting a backdated one, can't be done. It's all computerised now and links into the Ministry main computer (I think!) I would just bite the bullet and take your documents (old MOT included) to the police and see what they say. No MOT is much less serious than no insurance or driving license! Good luck
Old 10 January 2003, 11:49 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the relpies and help!!!!

Once again this BBS proves very useful from people who because of the common ground (scooby's)you feel you can trust !!
Old 10 January 2003, 12:25 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

The car's a BMW worth 10K. So I guess you're not the sort of guy to deliberately drive round in an un MOT'd un insured and untaxed car.

One would hope that if you went to the police and explained it was a genuine oversight they wouldn't prosecute. There are still some decent coppers out there.

Dave
Old 10 January 2003, 10:10 PM
Scooby Regular

By the way people, although slightly off topic. Are you also aware, that if someone steals your car, and crashes into someone, that the injured party will be claiming of your insurance, even though you, the insured were not driving the car...
This happened a friend not too long ago, and the car that was hit was a police car. It seems very likely too, that it was in actual fact the police car that rammed the stolen car, although, for the purposes of the police officers to ge a claim, the stolen car obviously rammed into them.
So, you worry about an MOT certificate nullifying your insuramnce, yet some wee **** can steal your car, crash it and injure someone, and it all comes out of your pocket and insurance....

Dont we love the Britsh Justice/Legal system NOT

Old 10 January 2003, 10:11 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

What if the car is uninsured?
Old 11 January 2003, 04:38 PM
RB5 Neil
Scooby Regular

take the producer into the police station and tell them that you were on your way to a mot station then and thats why you were driving
Old 12 January 2003, 02:56 AM
Scooby Regular

If it was uninsured, then they would be claiming of the Motor Insurance Bureau.
If it is insured, then you are stitched up, even though the incident had nothing to do with you.
Old 12 January 2003, 11:00 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Surely that only applies if your car is insured for any driver. If your policy is named drivers only then a thieving **** ain't insured and no claim on your policy.
Old 12 January 2003, 11:39 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

surely if your car was stolen and crashed you be claiming anyway?????? Regardless of the fact another car was involved?

Old 12 January 2003, 12:24 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Obviously you would claim for your own losses, don't see how your insurance pays for damage to other cars caused by uninsured thief driving your car.
Old 01 September 2003, 04:39 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know what happens if you have a crash and damage your car, police help you out etc, and give you producer and then you notice MOT is out of date.
Single car accident on black ice this am , no-one injured ?

Does that mean you have no insurance cos you have no MOT ??

And dont panic, wasn't the RB5 !! BM instead !!!!

the car is not driveable and is currently in a repair yard as had to be picked up by recovery vehicle, so even if i could get it to a garage it wouldn't pass an mot in its current state, last MOT ran out in November 2002 ??????

Wouold it be better to say , when i sent the form off to change the reg in October( as i did, with MOT cert) i don't recall having it back so forgot it had run out ??
Thanks for any useful advice.

[Edited by JimmyRB5PRO - 1/9/2003 5:15:43 PM]