Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shame i cant snowboard in brasil!!!!!!
Old 10 January 2003, 02:17 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

You lucky bu**er! I lived in Whistler for a while a couple of years ago and snowboarded pretty much every day solid for 3 months. Had the time of my life and met some great friends.

Somehow, 1 week in Serre Chevalier this year just ain't gonna be the same.

Enjoy it!
Old 10 January 2003, 03:49 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

May end up in Breckenridge in March - friends there and i can get free lift passes and board hire for a few nights DJing !!

Dave
Old 10 January 2003, 03:54 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Did Breckenridge,Vail and Beaver Creak () a couple of years ago. My best experience yet..particularly Vail. Just takes a while to get used to the altitude..especially when you smoke 20 a day!!!
Old 10 January 2003, 04:19 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Breck is superb at night (to see). The main street looks like something out of the Gremlins film
Old 10 January 2003, 05:38 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

I'd love to do another 'extended' snowboard trip again one day. Just difficult to balance it with work, friends, family, house, etc.! I'd definitely recommend it if you think you can manage it, it's a surefire way to improve your riding!

I don't really have a preference for either mountain in Whistler (both are awesome), although I spent more time on Whistler mountain as opposed to Blackcomb (due to living right next to the Whistler Creekside Gondola). Blackcomb has the snowpark though, which has beginner, intermediate and pro routes through it so there is something for everyone. Cool to just hang out there and watch the pros at work sometimes though!

On Whistler mountain there are some great runs down from the top of the Emerald Express lift heading down towards the Sidewinder run, you can keep popping in and out of the trees finding lots of little hits. Also nice to take the Peak chair up to the top and head for The Saddle. From the top of The Saddle you have the whole of the Glacier Bowl to ride in, you can traverse as far as you like around it before descending (and usually find some untracked powder) alongside the T-Bars.

Harmony & Symphony Bowls (over the other side of Whistler Peak, accessed via the Peak Chair) are the place to head when there is fresh snow as there are HUGE expanses to ride on if you pop off the pisted sections - just make sure you don't get stuck in the bottom of the bowl as it goes rather flat there! The cat-track out of this area can be a bit of a killer though as it seems to go on for miles!

If you fancy a bit of 'off-piste' then there is a very popular run (amongst the locals) called 'Peak to Creek'. It runs from the bottom of the Bagel Bowl (on Whistler mountain) right down the the base of the Dave Murray downhill in Whistler Creekside (you can actually see the cleared runs on the piste map, even though they are outside the ski area). They have actually cleared the trees here with the intention of opening the run to the public in the future. This is quite awesome to do after fresh snow, followed by a beer in Dusty's!

Anyway, that's just a few things I can remember. Feel free to email me if there's anything else you think you might be useful and I'll try and dredge it up from my rusty memory!

Otherwise, hope you have a great trip!
Andrew
Old 10 January 2003, 09:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope not Whistler, a solitary trip with my wife 3 kids and 7 other assorted family members to Les Gets in France, luckily we have a nanny whilst we are there so we can actually ski, have avoided the French (and English) hols so will be quieter than last year (I hope)

Have never tried snowboarding, I am 32 now so probably to old to don baggy arsed pants, grow my hair long (yes I still have some if you were wondering) and say stuff like 'Sick' and 'Rad', I have a mate who boards and his attitude about skiers gets on my t1ts, big deal, I love it whatever I am on (assuming I try boarding that is) and spend less time sat down.

On my experience a lot of the snowboarders in Europe are a bit wet compared to the hardier US type, they shy away from stuff I will do on ski's, spent a wile in Jackson Hole, a differnet world from European skiing, no Garlic munchers pushing in the queue (wasnt any queue !)
Old 11 January 2003, 09:52 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the tips Andrew...I'll print this off and take it with me. I havent had much powder experience yet so that could be rather amusing. The only other question i have is wheres the cheapest place to get lift pasess from?any ideas? We heard that the store 711 does them about $10 a day cheaper but wondered about whats available in whistler itself.

J4CKO....never to late to learn ,I had never trying skiing and then took up boarding at 31....painfully!!!! The US guys definitely seem to be the best riders comparing Austria,Italy. It just a shame about the naff language they use.
Old 13 January 2003, 10:17 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Powder's fun, it's what snowboards were originally designed for apparantly. Just keep your weight back and enjoy the ride!

As far as I knew passes were the same price everywhere. I did hear of touts selling "discount" day passes at the gondola base in Whistler Village. Might be worth asking on one of the snowboarding forums? (Try Snowboarding UK.)

Never to late to give it a try J4CKO! I think the long hair and unusual language isn't necessary, although I can highly recommend baggy pants. Ignore the "anti-ski" sentiments from the ignorant minority. For most of us it doesn't matter how you slide down the mountain as long as you are enjoying yourself.

[Edited by Andrew Dixon - 1/13/2003 10:23:50 AM]
Old 13 January 2003, 12:34 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andrew.

4 hours to go at work, 4 days until whistler...woohooo!!!
Old 01 October 2003, 09:31 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi Folks,

Just about to go off on my annual snowboarding pilgrimage to Whistler and wondered if any resident scoobynetters will be there in January ? Fancy a high altitude chinwag and a pint or 2 of mulled wine at lunchtime with some like minded petrolheads?

Cheers
Rich

[Edited by Richardw - 1/10/2003 7:10:46 PM]
Old 01 October 2003, 02:52 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

I think your the lucky one...3 months of it! That sounds like heaven...the wife and me did consider jacking it all in and travelling round Europe for 4 months as we though this would be the only way to get any good at it. I will never probably get that much time to board in my lifetime based on the state of knees and back already

I intend to explore both mountains as much as possible but what runs, bowls, glaciers would you recommend for an intermediate boarder with about 5 weeks experience? ( speed obviously not a problem being a scoobie owner )

Cheers
Rich

[Edited by Richardw - 1/10/2003 3:47:14 PM]