Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Employment advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 12:54 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm needing some advice on what to do in my current job.

I'd rather keep company names out of it so this may be a little hard to follow.

I'm employed on a rolling contract by an agency, company A, to do some IT work. Company A have put me on a contract working for company B. Company B provide IT suppport to company C. Company C have decided that they will end their contact for IT support with company B in October.

Got your hear round that?? ... right....good...

Here's my problem....

I was based at company C's location in Edinburgh until 6 months ago. I then moved to a company C's location in Halifax.

I've found out that my work in Halifax may be ending soon but nobody can give me a date. When i was given the opportunity to move down here in the first place i only got 4 days notice (which was fine with me at the time as i wanted the move).

I don't know how much notice they have to give me if i am to change location again and move back to Edinburgh. My contract only says that i am entitled to one months notice should they wish to terminate my employment.

I'm hoping that they have to give me one months notice to move back, at which point i tell them i can't and they will then have to give me one months notice before finishing my contract.

Obviously there is no point in me moving back to Edinburgh to finish the contract as i'll be looking to move back down here when the contract runs out later this year.

Anyone know where i stand????

[Edited by marty_t3 - 1/15/2003 12:55:42 AM]
Old 15 January 2003, 01:29 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bugger of a situation.

You could try speaking to CAB but I don't know how useful they are going to be.

Failing that speak to Agency, company A. They must have a contract somewhere from company B stating t&c's.

Hope you sort something out

Darren
Old 15 January 2003, 07:48 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Your contract is with the agency (company A) so what matters is what's in that contract. Does it specify location? Does it specify notice periods for both parties?

Edinburgh and Halifax? Hmmmmm. That narrows it down a bit...
Old 15 January 2003, 08:14 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Recently merged perchance ?
And the Company B's name doesn't start with X does it ?

Like the above mate, your contract is with the Agency, who supply you as a consultant. Check the wording of the contract you have with them, but I suspect that there could be a clause stating that your services will be required at the direction/ discretion of them and their hiring parties.

You'll get 1 months notice if they wish to terminate, and vice versa, but like you suspect, they will probably turn round and give you f-all notice asking to move back to Edinburgh.

IT Contracting mate, part and parcel.
Old 15 January 2003, 08:15 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

zax,

I understand what your saying about my contract with the agency. My agency 'rep' changed when i moved down here (now based in Leeds rather than Edinburgh) and my Location is now stated as Halifax when i log my time. The contract itself doesn't mention anything about notice periods for changing location. The company handbook does mention one weeks notice for every year worked (1.5 in my case) but this only refers to hourly paid workers (i'm salaried).

To complicate things further, my states that I have to comply with various rules and regulations set down by 'company B'. There is nothing specifically mentioned... just a general statement.

What i'm really looking for is what i'm entitled to by law (as i know the agency will try and screw me over on this one).

edited to add .... merged?? erm ... company C, yes company B doesn't start with X but your on the right lines

[Edited by marty_t3 - 1/15/2003 8:18:38 AM]

[Edited by marty_t3 - 1/15/2003 8:20:24 AM]