Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hillingdon council, and their noise abatement orders.

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 04:52 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I got given a noise abatement order whilst at Stockley park last week. I werent too worried cos the bloke from the council who was giving them out told me to rev my car to 4000 and said "The exhaust's okay" So I just needed to change my dump valve and K&N cone for the standard kit. I took a day off work and changed them back over, then went to Uxbridge and parked in the loading bay. The two people I was talking to on the phone were Mr. Gregson and Mr. Youngs from the noise team. Unfortuantly I dont know which was which, so I'll refer to them from here on in as Maglite and Fatboy.
Maglite and fatboy came out and said asked to see the order, I showed it to them. I Then showed them the airbox and recircualting dumpvalve, both of which were standard. They then started looking at my exhaust. I explained, that although it was a magnex, it was an exact replica of the original with all the boxes and even the split around the propshaft which is peculiar to Cosworths.
They then say that because it doesent have the manufacturers stamps then its modified and the ban will stay. I ask them why, Maglite says "Its a performance exhaust" I explain that it might be made by magnex but its not a performance exhaust. If it was performance it would be straight through, with it pasing under the prop, rather than around it. They dont care. Fatboy says that it might make more noise than the ford one and for that reason the ban stays in place. I ask if they banned anyone with kwikfit exhausts that night. Doesent go down too well. I ask where I can get it tested to find out if its too loud. They say at the nearest vehicle testing place in Hayes. However they inform me it will cost serious money and if it fails I will get a vehicle rectification notice and I will have to sort it out. I ask if they can test it for me. They refuse. I explain that I'm feeling affonted because my movements are being infringed when I have done nothing wrong. Fatboy and maglite share shrugs. I query why he said "yeah thats okay" to my exhaust and was refusing it now. Fatboy replies with " I meant yeah thats okay to get a notice." [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Sensing this is getting nowhere I go to the boot and get out the cone filter and bailey dump valve. I figure I might as well get all the modifed stuff back on there seeing as my car is the work of satan. As I start getting the jubilee clips off Fatboy gets on his phone. I hear him say "Can you get some security down here right away"
Hearing that I throw the stuff in the boot, slam the bonnet and turn around in the loading bay. Maglite and fatboy back off sharpish. I toy with the idea of doing a donut in the loading bay but think better of it. I head for the barrier which raises just as I get there. While I'm passing through even fatter boy security guard comes flying down the stairs to get me. But too late. I'm gone.
Words cannot explain how furious I am. my movements have been infringed by two non-answerable council workers on their say so. I have no way of finding out if my car is too loud without risking getting another fine. I was treated like **** by two people who are a law unto themselves, then thrown out when I went to do my own thing. My only recourse is going through the magistrates courts which I intend to do. However I cannot beleive I was treated that way.
Hillingdon council, you are, to a man, a waste of skin and vital organs.
astraboy.
Old 17 January 2003, 05:11 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a friggin joke. At least if the rozzers do you, they generally know the score, everyone plays by the rules, and it gets resovled more or less.

This is a prime example of what happens when you give just any old bloke a bit of power, God for the day, or so they think.

I suspect that the onus is on you to prove, or get proved the exhaust is okay, at your own cost. But, for the sake of being able to yield the might sword of dobber (righteousness etc etc), it could be worth it.

Paul
Old 17 January 2003, 05:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

OMIGOD! Someone's seriously p*ssed off Astreaboy.
How long before he really gets his own back???
Alcazar
Old 17 January 2003, 05:16 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Fooking ell Astraboy[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

How the **** do they know what they are talking about, are they professional vehicle examiners I expect not just some ******with nothing else better to do [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] if the are ask to see their Qualifications or their ministry of transport certificate or something I would be Fooking fuming about some desk jockey telling what I can and cant have on my car.

What is the UK coming to[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Good job they don’t give out tickets for flybys

Huxley

Old 17 January 2003, 05:35 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

I would start by speaking to Magnex and see if they have any paperwork or legal docs, they must, describing their product and how it meets with various regulations. Only a thought!

Dumb and Dumber sound like they ARE a waste of good skin
Old 17 January 2003, 06:01 PM
rally colin
Scooby Regular

If you get stuck I maybe be able to sort a noise meter that is calibrated.
Old 17 January 2003, 06:03 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

the law is very clear when it comes to aftermarket silencers. You are allowed to fit non OEM exhausts on the car, you are not allowed to modify an exhaust once it leaves the factory.

There is no law to prevent you from installing a non OEM system, you do not, under the law have to replace the system with a factory spec system. They are wrong to say you have to have factory stamps on your system or to say anything negative towards you having a performance exhaust.

have a read http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=143974
Old 17 January 2003, 08:24 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem though Jon, they've seen its non standard and as such "in their opinion" its a noise nuisence. Therefore thay can issue a banning order.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
I've emailed Magnex for clarification, but I wonder how well the following arguement would stand up in court.
EG, the exhaust is a direct replacement, whether it comes from Magnex or kwik fit, a direct replcaement is a direct replacement. If it was a performance exhaust it would be straight through, but it is not and comes with the boxes and the prop split.
Hmmm, I feel a letter to the Mag. is in order.
astraboy.
P.S. The astra is unbanned....
Old 17 January 2003, 08:26 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Also a big FU(K you!!!! To fat boy for the following crimes:
a/ entering my car without my permission.
b/ rpeatedly revving my engine without my permission
c/ Closing my door using is big fat sweaty useless ****!!!
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 17 January 2003, 08:45 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

What were you doing in Stockley Park? Was this some sort of cruise (or use of the roundabouts as a mini-racetrack ) or were you there on business?

This is going to be a right PITA if I have to go to Stockley Park on business
Old 17 January 2003, 09:20 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

People do race around there, but I usually pak up and chat to my mates.
astraboy.
Old 17 January 2003, 09:44 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

Astraboy, is it not up to them to prove it is noisier than standard (innocent until proven guilty and all that)?

Do you have the exact wording of this noise ruling? I'm confident that not everthing on your 2 testers cars will be standard manufacturers parts, tyres for instance - if a different make you could claim that they produce more noise... If you can provide a copy I'm confident I could find enough loop holes to make sure they will let you off.
Not that I'm suggesting someone could get a calibrated noise meter and stand 25 feet from their cars when they turn up for work with their radios on or anything you understand
Old 17 January 2003, 10:10 PM
Luke
BANNED

Tell the fat Pikeys( Its become a real swear word now!!) to fiuck off.
Old 18 January 2003, 10:43 AM
bigJoe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I know it’s too late now, but what are the legalities of this type of testing?

Can you not refuse to comply with the request?

Or you could say I never rev my car past 3000 (to save the engine), I won’t rev it to 4

Surly if they can’t test you they can’t issue these bolux orders

And how do they test a car with no tacho – “just rev it ‘till I tell you to stop mate”?

To$$ers!
Old 18 January 2003, 04:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<Astraboy, is it not up to them to prove it is noisier than standard (innocent until proven guilty and all that)?>
Well apparantly its all down to their discretion. if they think its too loud then they can issue an abbatement order. If not then they dont.
Oh and if they are going to test the car, they will have to seize it first. They seize it and test it. If its okay then I can have it back (provided I pay the 250squid impounding fee) If it fails the car gets taken permanantly.
Thats the reason I'm going through the magistrates court to get it overturned.
astraboy.
Old 18 January 2003, 04:35 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I really don't know how they can do that, if it is proved that your car is not too loud then surely you can sue them? it should not be possible for them to charge you for what is their mistake.

I'd like to know how they would test it, and what they would compare it against? Did Ford ever released db noise levels of a Cossie at 4,000rpm and if so it what sort of environment were the tests carried out, and what was the factory tollerance? were these test also carried out on cars with ?????? miles to see what effect mileage had on the output levels?
Unless all these point (and more that I can't think of at teh moment) there is no way* they can prove your car is louder than it would be with a standard exhaust.

* Unless they are running the test by noise testing your car as it is, then in exactly the same environemt with a standard exhaust fitted. Even then they would have to take into account the factory allowed variation for output into account.

Keep us posted m8 as this sounds ridiculous to me.