Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it time to leave the UK behind ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 08:23 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

What with the current economic climate, sh*te jobs, over work/ under pay company ethos, influx of "asylum" seekers taking the pi$$, a lapdog for a PM who's a wannabe President of Europe, is there any one else who has the burning desire to leave this country behind and find a better life elsewhere ?

Documentaries like No Going Back certainly show that it just takes a bit of guts, some money and graft to make a decision to change the way you live your life forever.

I'm not saying you can't do that here, but the quality of life in general just seems to be so different across the water. More natural and easier going.

Is this a case of the call of the greener grass getting stronger or am I not alone in thinking this sinking feeling ?
Old 22 January 2003, 08:25 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Youre not alone. Been considering it myself.
Might go to Kosovo and start selling fake passports whilst fighting with other immigrants and the locals
Old 22 January 2003, 08:38 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

when u say across the water do you mean the states???? I was there for some months last year and while I found a lot to like I couldnt live there- they are so Paranoid! Everyone is afraid- afraid of what their "neighbor" might do with his assault rifle (I was there for the sniping in DC), scared of gas attacks and just plain jumpy! No way could I live there (e.coast)- the W.coast was a bit more chilled out in fact San Francisco was very chilled out- but still loads of guns and murder! USA is the gun murder capital of the world!
Always fancied Oz myself but don't fancy the whinging pom comments-New Zealand it is!!!
Old 22 January 2003, 08:43 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Hard to say, I lived in Denmark for five years, enjoyed it and look back on it fondly but believe me, things like politics, tax etc start to grate on you just as badly after the initial honeymoon period.

I suppose the only answer is try it and see if it suits you. I fancy Canada myself as the next place to try ...

Old 22 January 2003, 08:46 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

I didnt think of Canada- your right thats the place to go I reckon all the advatages of America without the paranioa and gun crime- good thinking!
Old 22 January 2003, 08:49 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Not the States, went there for my honeymoon and the entire nation shouldn't be allowed to breed any further !

Oz, NZ, Europe (France, Spain, Italy...), Canada (?) was more along the lines I was thinking. Somewhere I could lead a peaceful existence, without the drudgery of being crammed into battery-hen companies to produce work which no-one reads or appreciates.
Really need a change of life. I don't feel like I'm going anywhere or have anything with meaning (apart from the wife and impending sprog!)

I don't want to look back and think "what if?" on my hospice bed while I pi$$ myself to death

*sigh*

Must be the mood I'm in right now.
Old 22 January 2003, 08:52 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Don't bother with France mate- the natives speak some weird language and despite repeated attempts by myself to civilise them they persist in talking nonsense!

Also the red tape and taxation levels here are worse than the UK!!!!nice food n wine though.

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2003, 08:54 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mmmm.....red wine and olive oil.....that's the life for me!
Old 22 January 2003, 09:18 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

It's usually the case that the grass seems greener elsewhere. Try it and see! You'll get a new range of things to complain about, and keep some old favourites There is no promised land, and I guess if there was is wouldn't last long due to all of the folks trying to move there. I'm on my fourth "other" country now, time will tell if I'll stay for good (I think I will, I like it here very much) but one thing I do know is it would take a major change for me to move back to the UK. And becoming an immigrant in another country lets you see things from a whole new perspective
Old 22 January 2003, 09:25 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Oz is VERY tempting. Lived in Sydney for 10mths and it was fantastic.

Mossman
PS COuld not agree more re how you feel at the mo!
Old 22 January 2003, 09:35 AM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

I'd love to move away from this sh!tty country, but I have a lovely wife and 2 kids that I adore soooo much. If I knew what I know now, I'd gone along time ago.

Canada, OZ or NZ would be nice

Regards

Kev..
Old 22 January 2003, 09:36 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Mossman - did you live where your Username suggests ?

If yes - you lucky b@st@rd
Old 22 January 2003, 09:46 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

ScoobyKev,

It's exactly why I would love to take the plunge, because of the family.
I have a nipper on the way, and tbh I don't see much of a future for our kids here.
You're never too old to change the way you live.
I'm going to seriously research into what options and where are available, how to get across, residency issues and possible way to make a living.
Watching those on No Going Back is inspiring.
I'd certainly swap my semi for a life on the olive groves, sunshine, scenery and healthy living for the same money.
Old 22 January 2003, 10:05 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Always fancied Oz myself but don't fancy the whinging pom comments-New Zealand it is!!!
wot? not more whinging poms heading this way?

Q. How do you know it's a plane-load of pommie immigrants just arrived?

A. 'cos the whining continues after the engines have stopped.

- I think every country's got its vices - what's going for NZ is its great outdoor life (hunting, fishing, ski-ing, whatever,), the only thing holding you back is yourself (no class system) and it's a great place to bring up kids - and own a subaru.

- the downside - not in the travel books; EARTHQUAKES - lots of them, but mainly just shakes and tremors; random violence - there are't any no-go areas or slums, but this is a violent society; gangs - the real mcCoy on motorbikes, Hell's Angels, Satan Slaves, Black Power, etc - not as active as they used to be as they've sussed that publicity is bad for the drug business they control over here (biggest local industry is growing marijuana).

Bet u didn't read that in the tourist guides.

Come on over sometime
Old 22 January 2003, 10:11 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NZ it is then. Always wanted to be a Satan's Slave, randomly beating the cr@p out of people and growing my own marijuana
Old 22 January 2003, 10:13 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Smile

Hey Phil - If it all gets too much for you we could do a swap
Old 22 January 2003, 11:49 AM
Zedhead
Scooby Regular

Move up North, it rocks up here
Old 22 January 2003, 12:23 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Move out the big cities and you'll see a much better life..btw its not always greener on the otherside ie abroad

Anyway why should we move out cos of home problems,get yourfinger out and complain and if we ALL do it something might get done..Less whining more winning
Old 22 January 2003, 01:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Definitely time to go. My girlfriend (who's Canadian) and I (who was born in Canada) are planning to move to Canada in August.

The standard of living we will have in Toronto will be so much higher than here it's incredible.

Canada has most of the benefits of the US and UK with few of the downsides. I'm sure I'll get wound up by stuff when I'm there, but at least it will be different stuff.

Oh, we'll also get the new 2.5l STi

Old 22 January 2003, 02:04 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

Forget scandinavia. Youll be pissing your pants in darkness most of the time.

Saw on a program that Canada is indeed the place to retire to. You watch northern exposure?

OZ is too extreme and would do your head-in. Going like the US.

Find yourself a nice island paradise to retire to and set up a bar or watersports centre.

Dont go to Blackpool. Armpit of the universe (or peterborough ornewark or spalding or bognor!).
Old 22 January 2003, 06:02 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

DR - if you do look into it report back on here m8 as it would be very useful info
Old 22 January 2003, 06:08 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

5. more years.