I got made redundant - where do I stand ! help

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 01:33 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Hi All,

Well I just got made redundant. I finish today and get paid till the end of the month.

Ive been with the company since September 2001 so 18 months ish.

Ive not been offered any more money or anything? should I have? where do I stand.

Any help appreciated!

Andy
Old 22 January 2003, 01:37 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC you need to have worked there for 2 years before you are entitled to any pay outs.

I may be wrong though.
Old 22 January 2003, 01:37 PM
ChrisB

From the horses mouth:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/redundancy/payments-pl808.htm

and

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/index.htm
Old 22 January 2003, 01:39 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

AFAIK you are stitched, The only thing is they aren't allowed to reemploy someone to fill you position for I think 6 months.
Old 22 January 2003, 01:43 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Was in the same position a few years back.
No comeback I'm afraid as long as the above applies.

Sorry to hear that mate.
What line of work you in ?
Old 22 January 2003, 01:51 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

In the words of REM:

"Stand in the place where you live"
Only joking mate.

Sorry to hear it. Keep us posted on when you find another job. Don't forget they have to pay you any holiday pay you are owed and I suggest a weeks sick as well.

Try Here
Old 22 January 2003, 01:57 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

I just took 6 days hols, so if anything I owe them, so Ill shut up about it - I quit today - get paid till the end of the month which is as good/bad as it gets I guess - and theyve said I dont need to turn up anymore.

So any support type jobs going? Can send cv to people.

[Edited by ADP - 1/22/2003 1:58:30 PM]
Old 22 January 2003, 02:13 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

cheers all, will be a "temp" b4 you know it, oh great I cant wait to pack boxes on shelves again.......... :<
Old 22 January 2003, 02:20 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Best job sites on the web are

> www.jobsite.co.uk
> www.jobserve.com
> www.planetrecruit.com
> www.cwjobs.co.uk

I assume by "support" you mean PC/ Helpdesk/ IT ?

If so, register with plenty of agencies and try contracting as well as perm.

Computer People
Computer Futures
Careercare
Elan IT
Best International

are some of the larger agencies.

[Edited by Devil's Refugee - 1/22/2003 2:29:46 PM]
Old 23 January 2003, 09:31 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Best of luck finding something Andy.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be made redundant in 3 or 4 weeks time. I've been with the company for 6 and a half years but they're only paying statutory minimum - i.e. bugger all.

I am on 3 months notice - if I'm made redundant do they have to pay me my 3 month notice plus redundancy pay or can they tell me just to clear off? Anyone know?

Thanks

Marc

No track days booked for 2003 and Scoob up for sale next week
Old 23 January 2003, 01:09 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

Yeah, good luck Andy! Let us know how you get on.
Old 23 January 2003, 02:41 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a notice period and they want you out in a few days, they will have breached their contract.

As a result, they are most likely to give you a breach of contract settlement as part of your redundancy. This is much better than just being given 3 months notice but not having to work, as you get a redundancy pay out tax free.

If you suspect you might get made redundant, run you bank balance to a minimum. Pay off any outstanding debts and credit cards etc. If you're left with money after the payout the Job centre/DSS look at your savings in isolation from your debts. Paying anythig more than minimum payment is seen to be "depleting funds" and they don't like that.

Beware also that a payout is seen as payment in lieu of notice, and you won't get any benefit until it's run out. However, if you have no money anyway (say for instance you had a large overdraft before payout...) then you will be eligable for a certain amount means tested benefit. Being allowed some benefit may be important when it comes to claiming on mortgage protection, depending on your insurance company.

I worked for my last company for 22 months, so got no stat redundancy pay, but they did give me some, plus the breach of contract payment, and cashed my holidays. If you're being made redundant this year, and you still have 25 days holiday, then you get all of it, it's not given to you on a pro-rata basis. You will be taxed on this payment however just like a normal wage.

paul
Old 23 January 2003, 02:47 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

If you think they are screwing you over then take legal advice
Oi Bravo, that's your fooking answer to everything!!!

I'm gonna open a solicitors next door to you.

I'll make a killing!!

LOL

BB

ADP, when r u back in essex?? i feel a couple of beers on the agenda!!

best wishes

BB

[Edited by beemerboy - 1/23/2003 2:49:26 PM]
Old 23 January 2003, 02:49 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Group buy on solicitors in Bravo's area anyone....
Old 23 January 2003, 02:51 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

yep, along with knocking shops, ps2 game shops, off licenses, gun shops and ugly bird discos!!!

hahah

BB
Old 23 January 2003, 02:55 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Better chuck in a penicillin supplier as well....
Old 23 January 2003, 04:50 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

What was your notice period and how large is your company and how many employees are being made redundant. Your entitled to a minimum of your notice(time you'd have had needed to work on if you decided to leave). Dependent on the size of firm and numbers of redundancies concerned there are statutory notice periods with which employees must be notified 90 days.

Regards
Cammy
Old 23 January 2003, 06:01 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just to clear up a few points

If it is a redundancy in the normal course of trade (as opposed to an insolvency) you should be entitled to:

Redundancy if more than 2 years service and over 20 years of age. Basis is one week for every year worked to a maximum of 12 years (but there is an age/service multiplier)

Payment in lieu of notice which depends upon your own contract terms.

(Obviously) all outstanding wages/salary/expenses paid.

Balance of accrued holiday pay due (not sure where Paul gets his whole year less taken entitlement from )

Everything except an actual redundancy payment is taxable.

D
Old 23 January 2003, 06:58 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

...Good Luck Andy mate... Bummer of a situation - still, look on it as a kick up the **** to move to Essex(not that we're trying to get rid of you ) ...maybe it's come at the right time?

Glass is half full 'n all that

Jen
Old 24 January 2003, 12:35 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diablo,

I meant that if you're made redunant in month 1 of the year, the company CANNOT give you just 1/12 of your holidays. Even if you work just 1 day of the new year, you would still be entitled to get 20 days holiday pay (or however many days holiday you get in the whole year).

Trying to get your notice period paid as part of your settlement is better as your reduncay package isn't subject to income tax, so you'll get the gross figure. I don't imagine a company would do it any other way, as they would otherwise have to pay employers NI on the gross amount they paid you.

Paul

Old 24 January 2003, 11:21 AM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Andy,

I realise this doesn't change your situation but hope it helps make you feel better...

Our factory is closing at the begining of April, and we have been in consultation for the past 8 months!! The company in the past has paid all employees 1 month for every year they have worked, plus 3 months notice as a lump sum and told to leave.
This was even the case when they paid off the bottom 5% performers to get rid of them.

This time however, they have decided to still pay us 1 month for every year but they are going to make us work our notice period!!! This means that I am going to lose out on £5K. It means that the package they gave the poor performers (who were made up to a minimum of three years service regardless) with one years service walked out with more than I will for 5 years service.

Really Sh1tty place to work right now.

Oh and could you all please boycot a certain brand of mobile phones with a big "M" on them!!!

Dougie
Old 24 January 2003, 12:16 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

D8UGF,

That sounds exactly like what happened at my last company.

They paid off all the poor timekeepers by giving them 1 month for every year + 2 months wages. They then asked for voluntary redundancies. I decided to take it so i signed on the dotted line and expected the same. The company then said i had to work the 2 months notice period. I walked out that day and called in sick. Never set foot in the place again.

Feel free to boycott any PC built by Fullartons from now on.... Oh .. wait .. that's right ... IBM ditched them 2 weeks ago so they don't have the contract anymore and just shut the entire factory Hahahahaha Serves the f****rs right. Just a pity about the 1000 or so folk they've made unemployed.
Old 24 January 2003, 12:25 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Basically Ive been given bugger all notice ie I leave today. However, I have just had 7 days holiday, and had probably used more than 25 days last year. They are paying me up until the end of the month. So as I see it Im getting a months pay for 8 or 9 days work. Thats not too bad, and frankly I dont want to go in now anyway (80 miles a day - costlyin a scoob).

To complicate things, I never signed a contract..........Although I beleive I would be legally bound by it. So as I say, Im prepared to walk away, take my pay and expenses and say bye bye.

I am however worried about getting my pay slip/letter of redundancy / P45 etc. The last people who were made redundant had a real struggle. However, these were people who had pissed the company off - Ive never had a cross word at all so hoping that playing it cool will be the trick. We will see, I am however VERY well connected legally and if I needed to could crush them to bits, but I dont want it to come to that.

As for Essex guys, erm not sure when Ill be residing back. Have about 2 weeks cash in hand jobs down here for a bit, but then will be over. It seems should be easier to get work once Im living back where I want to work (can go round local agencies, papers etc)

bfn

Andy

Old 24 January 2003, 01:31 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread! I was given 1months notice a couple of weeks ago. I took out a loan to pay for a bit of the scoob. I also took payment protection on it. In order to claim the payments i must go to Jobcentre to sign up etc. I now have the money in my account from the sale of the scoob. Will i still be able to claim payment protection??? Is there a way out???

Gez

[Edited by Gez - 1/24/2003 1:38:52 PM]
Old 24 January 2003, 05:35 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

I dont know if this is too late but if they are giving you your salary and want you to leave that payment is TAX FREE! if you work your notice period then you would be taxed.

Mother-in-Law is a HR Director and she drums these things in to me!

If you offer to go then they will pay you at the end of the month and you will be taxed. The key is to be asked to leave, you can then ask for your final payment with no income tax.