Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should Gritters have a speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 02:59 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I know its been done to death but a gritter passed me today on a National speed limit A road. I saw him, pulled right over to the curb and stopped (Much to the disaproval of the white van behind)

The gritter passed be at between 50 and 60mph [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] The grit hit at bonnett and windscreen level and sounded like I'd been shot blasted. I'll have to see what damage has been done when I clean it.

I can't remember gritters going this fast years ago, do they have a recommended speed while speading? If not surely they ought to be limited to something like 20mph.

Lee
Old 03 February 2003, 03:02 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Never, never pull over for a gritter unless you find a side road.............it stops the dents coming from the back and helps to avoid salt corrosion.........
Old 03 February 2003, 03:08 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I could see the grit across the road at windsceen level, if I had continued at 40/50mph I wouldn't have had any paint left on the bonnett and would prossibly be looking at a new screen.

He was going that fast that most of the grit was missing the road.

Does the spreader spin faster as the lorry goes faster?

Lee
Old 03 February 2003, 03:39 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Lee,

I know what you mean. I thought they were only allowed to spray salt on their side of the road, but to cut costs & number of visits up the same road, they spray both.

I pasted one on Friday and it did the same thing; I slowed to a crawl (nothing behind me for miles) and the ****** put grit right across my bonnet. I mean just how f**king high do they need to spray the stuff?

Over the weekend I past a couple more, but this time the grit hardly touched my car. That was through a built-up area, so unless the other truck was fubar'd or they are a bit more cautious spray in towns/villages.

IMHO the drivers should be shot-blasted with their own grit to see how they like it

Stefan
Old 03 February 2003, 03:50 PM
rich uk300
Scooby Regular

yep the gritters are annoying....been caught out numerous times but if they toddled around at 20 mph they would never complete their routes in time
Old 03 February 2003, 04:34 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

I passed one doing about 70 on the A1 on Friday night.
Cleaned my car yesterday and the left hand side has about 15 stone chips now.
Well fecked off.
Do you stay behind or overtake when its doing 70!!!!
I even tucked in behind a Bmer.
Old 03 February 2003, 04:43 PM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

Depending on the gritter!! I know that sounds weird but the BIG Highways Agency gritters cannot grit over a certain speed as the grit spread would be totally in-effective.They are (or should be) fitted with speed limiters that kick in when the drivers engages the gritting gear. If you have the reg, road number, date, and time of day you should report this to the Highways Agency and they will speak to their contractor. Local authorities I'm afraid I can't comment on but I will say that my own fleet of gritters do not grit over 40MPH. And, can I just say that the company I work for does NOT have responsibility for the M11.

If you have suffered any damage you really should talk to the Highways Agency they takes these complaints very seriously.

Rach
Old 03 February 2003, 07:56 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I agree with all comments about gritters. But when you think of the alternative I know what I would rather live with.

T
Old 03 February 2003, 08:33 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But if they only go at 20 mph then all five of them will never cover the UK in a night??

Nick