Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If speed camera fines were ended,......

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 04:52 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

If speed camera fines were ended,so you got points but no fine,would you then support speed cameras?
Old 10 February 2003, 05:44 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No because they still don't tackle the increasing problem of poor driving/dangerous driving, for that you need the plod to be in their car's out patrolling catching people in the act.

The revenue's raised by speed cameras I don't really have a problem with, its their over-use, coupled with a reduction in proper policing of our roads I can't abide, speeding is but one factor in an accident, poor driving is the root cause and needs to be attended to.

But with speed cameras replacing proper policing the roads are only getting worse, I for one can't be the only person who has noticed a considerable decline in driving standards over the last 5 years.
Old 10 February 2003, 05:48 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Speed cameras are there for a reason. For your safety. You will only hurt yourself if you attempt to get rid of it..
Old 10 February 2003, 07:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I disagree. Excess speed for the conditions is merely one symptom of bad driving. A speed which is faster than a posted limit may sometimes be appropriate and sometimes not, depending on the time of day, driver skill, car capability, visibility, weather and so on.

Treating the problem of bad driving with speed cameras is like treating appendicitis with painkillers - it reduces one of the symptoms, but does absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Bad driving is harder to quantify and measure, though, so our government takes the easy way out and measures what it can.

Measure what is important. Don't try to make important what you can measure.
Old 10 February 2003, 07:19 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

You can all hate me even more.... but I would personally recommend a sliding scale proportionate to the amount the stated speed limit is exceeded by.

ie.

0-5 mph over - warning
5-12 - fine only
12-16 - 2 points
16-20 - 3 points

etc etc
Old 10 February 2003, 07:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i would double them overnight- get loads of ppl banned and free up the roads- i have never been caught since i had a motorbike and was 17....and i rode like a **** so deserved it. i feel no threat from cameras and if i was unlucky enough to get caught once i would make sure it wasnt twice, let alone 3 or 4 times.
Old 10 February 2003, 07:42 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I see nothing wrong in them per se. However I do take issue with the location of said devices.

Put them outside schools, local shops, round pedestrian crossings and at proven and communicated accident blackspots. Paint them florescent orange, not dirty yellow.

Don't hide them behind signs / trees / bushes. ( Surrey CC are particularly fond of doing this )

Publish the criteria for putting each one in and give the public the ability to appeal against their sitings. If they cannot demonstrably prove to reduce accidents then there is something else wrong, so take them out and sort that out instead.

But what do I know, I only have to use these roads.

Steve
Old 11 February 2003, 12:23 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

i like what buRR is saying BUT i think this is a bit harsh!!!...

0-5 mph over - warning

"0" over = warning make that 1-5

anyway, 5 over is no biggy, unless in strict 30 zone (outside school etc).
Old 11 February 2003, 12:24 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'm being realistic - based on current ACPO guidlines.
Old 11 February 2003, 05:23 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Speed Camaras are for Revenue Generation !!

If safety was a real issue why.....
is there not a 20mph speed limit past schools
a speed camara ouside all schools
accident blackspots (eg fast A road)not labelled as such.

And why....
are cameras hidden behind road signs
painted dull colours
the scourge of any driver, old fart or petrol head.

What is the main cause is bad driving.
Speed is nicely ambiguous and a highly emotive word.
Most accidents come down to *mis-judgement* of which speed is only a part.
Old 11 February 2003, 11:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

I agree that the "Speed kills" mantra is overused.
I've seen two accidents in the last week, neither had anything to do with speed, both were at about 10mph, and one was due to not looking in the mirror before manoevring(sp?), while the other was due to not watching the car ahead which started out of a junction, bottled it, and the car behind it ran up it's boot!
Alcazar
Old 11 February 2003, 12:10 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm not bothered about the fine, it's the points that I don't like.

Despite that, I sort of agree with BuRR, because if there were no points then well off people could speed with impunity.

Some extra things I would ask for is to make the time of day relevant. 3.30am may allow greater leeway than 3.30pm for instance. I would also think being weather dependant would help - heavy rain reducing the limit for getting points for instance.
Old 11 February 2003, 01:34 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Even better: heavy rain reduces the limit, dry weather increases it - then, when conditions allow, motorists can make good, safe progress without breaking the law.

It's not the cameras and points that I have a problem with, it's the nature of the law that they're there to enforce. The safe speed for a given stretch of road is NOT invariant.
Old 11 February 2003, 01:59 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Andy_C

That sort of sliding scale limit would be ludicrous. It would force drivers to actually THINK about their driving. This would automatically reduce accidents, thereby causing the government to think of a new name for their 'Accident Prevention' Cameras.

Stop being so silly.
Old 11 February 2003, 02:13 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

How about:
"A rose for an offender Indian traffic officials are trying a different approach to stop speeding - giving offenders roses instead of fines.

"We have decided not to treat traffic rule violators as offenders but as citizens ignorant of traffic rules.

"And to drive home the point, we have evolved this method - giving roses as a goodwill gesture," Ahmedabad deputy police commissioner KK Ojha told Press Trust of India.

There are no statistics on whether the strategy, called "no sticks, only carrots" is working, but motorists, not surprisingly, like it. "This is probably the first time such a campaign by the city police is having a positive impact on the public," said one driver. "
Old 11 February 2003, 02:24 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Have you ever seen Indian Traffic?

Makes the West End, Milan, and Paris look like Camberwick Green
Old 02 November 2003, 11:26 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

German laws allow up to 21KMPH over limit in towns with sliding fines, then scaling points till 40KMPH over your banned for a month or more depending. Its all written down and known so no ability for judges to be lenient or tough, same rules across the board. If you get points within 2 years of previous points then they all tot up, you need to be point free for 2 full years to get rid. If you pick up enough points in the window you lose your licence for a year, need to sit a physcological test and resit your driving test. Also 3 strikes and your out on your Driving test I believe.

[Edited by camk - 2/11/2003 11:34:12 AM]