Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need some tourist help.

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2001, 08:18 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ben

just come back from Perugia in the north, great palce to visit, real old italy, good food, fantastic scenery and pretty cheap, great roads to drive on as well, although sadly didnt have the scoob with me this time.

Greg
Old 03 July 2001, 12:36 PM
Gille in the USA
Scooby Newbie

Hi everyone, the_gille here from the i-Club board in the US. I am posting because I am going on a bus tour of Italy with my parents soon. I was wondering if anyone knew of some cool places to go while Im there. Im also planing on visiting the Ferrari factory. I know that I wont get past the front gates, but Ive been told that there is a great museum. Any ideas are welcome, and thanks for any info you give me.
Ben
Old 03 July 2001, 01:30 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Have you heard of a place called Rome?

Pompeii? Venice? Pisa? Florence?

How old are you Ben? Italy is a beautiful place, though it has it's industry and shambles just like anywhere else.

The North is quite a bit different to the South,North more industrial and "busy", the South more agricultural and "traditional", a bit like the UK in reverse!

Personally, I love the place.
Old 03 July 2001, 02:01 PM
Gille in the USA
Scooby Newbie

Yes, I think I may have heard of a couple of those places. Those places are already on the schedule though. Im thinking of things a little off of the tourist trail. Im mostly going to be in central and southern Italy, if I remember correctly. Im 22 so, a cool bar or something that some one my age might enjoy. Thanks.
Ben
Old 04 July 2001, 02:05 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

You must go to Rome. It is simply amazing. One minute you're walking around what appears to be an ordinary city and the next you stumble upon something like the Coloseum (sp).

Also went to Sorrento when we were there. It rained most of the time and I couldn't work out why everyone loves it so much. However, everyone says it is great and it should be good weather at this time of year (we went at Easter).

Oh, and go to Pompeii and Herculaneum (sp) and the volcano, which I have just forgotten the name of...you know the one.

I would agree that you must catch a game while you're out there, but the Italian season has finished, although you may be able to go and watch a team train (although this may be too early).

Certainly my favourite holiday and it was with the school.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 04 July 2001, 12:58 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

My only italian experiances have been snowboarding in the alps, but from reports i've had from friends, get yourself to a football match, with one of the big italian teams. Make time for a morning or evening of people watching as well, most towns will have a square where the locals will promenade of an evening, or in the morings, just find a nice cafe, sit sipping beer and watch the world go by
northern Italy is the industrial bit and southern the farming part , in general, trying to make a car in southern italy brought us the stunning Alfa Sud, widely believed to be made out of compressed spagetti, most didn't last past their first rain shower.
have fun, and what with the strength of the dollar and the weakness of the Euro, you'll be laughing.
Old 05 July 2001, 06:27 AM
Gille in the USA
Scooby Newbie

Thanks everyone! The tour begins and ends in Rome so Im sure Ill see plenty of it. Thanks again.
Ben
Old 05 July 2001, 09:37 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Evans, boy!!

Stand still when I'm talking to you.

It is called Vesuvius!

Yep, been to Sorrento, beautiful. Hard to imagine thousands of British and US troops coming ashore when you see it now (Salerno that is).

What I found stunning (I was 14 at the time)was the sheer size of Vesuvius. It was on the opposite side of the Bay of Naples from our hotel and I thought "it" was a mountain range, until it dawned on me it was a huge (and I mean HUGE) volcano that dominated the skyline whever you were.

Oh yeah Capri, very nice, deliberately traffic free and quaint.

The other thing I remember about that holiday was the 17 year old and her 15 year old sister from Essex. Best pair I'd ever seen in bikinis up to that point. Oh dear, hormonal awakening!!

You can see some of Italy on the map of that name if you play Counter Strike with us on a Tuesday evening!! That'll get you in the mood.