Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Pc????

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2001, 11:30 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guy's, Could some one tell me which is the best pc to have out of these 2...

1, AMD K6 500mhz, 10gb hard drive, 56 meg ram, creative 52x cd?
Has no sound card, graphics card or usb port to plug my scanner in. using at the moment.

2, Intel pentium 3 450mhz, 128meg ram, seems to have 2 hard drives??? 1.95gb each??? has them listed as c and d drives but when i open it up there's only 1 hard disk
This has sound card and graphics card in already and a plug in for usb for my scanner.
Been offered.

Would it be possible to make one pretty good one out of the pair i.e put the 10 gb hard disk into the pentium 3 ad the 52x speed cd without causing to much trouble??

I take it a 10gb hard drive better than 2 1.95 gb hard disks? Has this been somehow seperated??

Sorry if i sound like i don't know what i'm talking about, but all this is getting me a little ??

Cheer's guy's.

[This message has been edited by cryptwalk (edited 26 August 2001).]
Old 26 August 2001, 11:50 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

No problem there Cryptwalk - go for the PIII.

Yes, you can put the 10Gig HD in it and the CD rom.

The reason for the apparent 2 hard drives is that it's been partitioned into 2 x 1.95 HDs (hence C and D drive)

You could add the 10 Gig as "Drive E" if you wanted - thus keeping the 2 x 1.95 drives as is, and having an extra drive.

That's what I've done on my dad's PC....

Makes life very easy too.....

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 26 August 2001, 11:58 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheer's Dan, i think i'll just swap the hard disks over, then i can sell the AMD to get some money back! Think i'll format the seperated hard disk this should take it back to one?? then reload windows on it so it'll work with the AMD ok?

Look's like i'm going to be busy swaping and changing the rest of today! good job i can have 2 running at the same time!!
Old 28 August 2001, 12:28 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

That's your answer, fire it up with a startup floppy disk or WINDOWS CD. Then either load Windows from the CD or try to fdisk the HDD.

Old 28 August 2001, 09:52 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Cryptwalk,

BE CAREFUL. The reason the hard disc is partitioned into 2 x 2Gb partitions may be the version of Windows running on it.

Some versions (I'm not sure which) of Windows can only see partitions of 2Gb or less. Once you are on WinMe or Win2000 you are safe, but I'm not sure about Win98.

Pretty sure that Win 95 and below have this problem.

So, ONLY re-partition it to 4Gb if you are *sure* the Operating System you have will still 'see' the discs, or the machine will be stuffed!

HTH,

Alex
Old 28 August 2001, 10:24 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ermm, too late think i've already done something! Got the p3 working fine with windows me on it and the 10 gig hard drive in this is it now, however the amd now won't boot up from the hard drive that now has the partitioned hard drive in it

I may have to send it out to someone more in the know! I think the problem maybe that the amd had millenium on it and the hard drive had nt on!

Anyone know how to boot into dos so i can format c and start again with the amd?

At least i got one working!
Feel i may be in too deep with the amd though!
Old 28 August 2001, 11:45 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Cryptwalk,

So you've not done anything to either disk, just swapped them over?

If that is so, then both machines should still boot. I was warning against re-partitioning the split disk into one big 4Gb chunk with the wrong Operating System.

The best piece of software for messing in this area is called Partition Magic.

It allows you to boot from a floppy and play around with the setups, though I would advise getting someone who knows what they are doing to help!

Alex
Old 30 August 2001, 03:35 PM
superblackbird
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cryptwalk:
<B>Hi guy's, Could some one tell me which is the best pc to have out of these 2...

1, AMD K6 500mhz, 10gb hard drive, 56 meg ram, creative 52x cd?
Has no sound card, graphics card or usb port to plug my scanner in. using at the moment.

2, Intel pentium 3 450mhz, 128meg ram, seems to have 2 hard drives??? 1.95gb each??? has them listed as c and d drives but when i open it up there's only 1 hard disk
This has sound card and graphics card in already and a plug in for usb for my scanner.
Been offered.

Would it be possible to make one pretty good one out of the pair i.e put the 10 gb hard disk into the pentium 3 ad the 52x speed cd without causing to much trouble??

I take it a 10gb hard drive better than 2 1.95 gb hard disks? Has this been somehow seperated??

Sorry if i sound like i don't know what i'm talking about, but all this is getting me a little ??

Cheer's guy's.

[This message has been edited by cryptwalk (edited 26 August 2001).][/quote]

Mate dont go down the P3 road, there actually slower. Dont be fooled by the INTEL Mhz ratings, they mean NOTHING! Go with the AMD