Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Small/Lightweight Sleeping Bag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2001, 07:35 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, odd request I kow but can anyone offer me some advice on sleeping bags???!! Please...

I'm heading off to Australia in 6 weeks time ( ) to backpack my away around for a few months or so; and need to find a bag which is ideally as light, and small as possible. Obviously being Australia I'm only really after a 1 season bag but it *has* to be compact. I've been looking at some of the Vango Ultralite bags but to be honest I think "Ultralite" is a bit of a joke!! Also seen "Outdoors'" own brand bags but to be honest would rather stick with a manufacturer I *know* I can trust. So...based on that, do any of you "outdoor" types have any suggestions??!!

Thankyou in advance.....

Kelvin
Old 29 August 2001, 08:39 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Not sure on brands. BUT make sure you can easily stuff it in the bag again. I've a light weight sleeping bag and no joke it takes 20 mins to stuff it in the bag again because it's such a tight fit.

It'll become a REAL pain to do that every morning really quickly.
Old 29 August 2001, 09:26 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

Small & light = down! Try Mountain Equipment Dewline. Recommended.

Paul

Old 30 August 2001, 10:46 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Kelvin,
You tried Oswald Bailey at the bottom of Poole Hill? just up from M&S near where C&A were. I got a very small sleeping bag from there, about £50 though but it does roll up small, can't remember the make though...
Rich.
Old 30 August 2001, 02:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Down is far smaller and lighter, but is utter hell and can take days to dry out if it gets wet. Synthetic bulkier but bearable if wet.

After you've made the decision on the filling, then choose the bag!

Decent outdoor suppliers - without looking, Field and Trek, and Cotswold Camping - have comparison tables btwn the makes and models (Vango, Karrimor, own brands etc). Suggest you get a catalogue?

(Got a Karrimor 2+ down bag, 14 yrs old, love it but never use it now!)

BJH
Old 30 August 2001, 06:59 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Rich - haven't looked in Oswald Bailey's yet - completely forgot it was there to tell the truth! So will head down there tomorrow after work to have a look at what's available.

Kelvin
Old 30 August 2001, 08:03 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

I find it hard to believe people are still scared of getting down bags wet. When was the last time you slept in a puddle...can't remember? If you can, did you do it in a heavy wet man made bag...was it much fun? Ever wondered what bags mountaineers use?

Most modern down bags have a water resistant outer e.g. Drilite outer, which stops any problems from condensation, etc. So as long as you show reasonable care i.e. don't sleep in a puddle (who would??) you have no worries with a down bag

Paul
Old 31 August 2001, 09:04 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get a compression stuff sack. They are large enough to let you get the bag in quickly but then the compression straps allow you to crush it to about half the usual storage size.

I've found that Field and Trek are excellent for all camping and expedition gear we camped in Iceland with F&T gear. I've got a Ladakh (?) 4 seasons down bag and it stuffs down to no size at all, so a 1-2 seasons bag should be no problem. Also, get a sleeping bag liner too. These keep your bag clean longer (which adds to performance), adds 1 extra season if needed on a cold night and if very warm you can sleep in the liner instead. They also roll up very small.

Sean
Old 02 September 2001, 06:27 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, after a few e-mails I've finally ordered a bag from Cotswolds - opted for a Robens bag which is absolutely tiny - comes in at about the size of a milk bottle and weighs 700 gramms!!! Down filled so will get back to all you sceptics on the wet front

Thanks for all of the advice,

Kelvin