Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PC help please !

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2001, 10:01 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After having a few problems with my PC which I managed to sort out, evry time I start it up I get that screen which asks whether I want to start in normal mode, safe mode etc etc and gives me 30 seconds to make a choice.
The computer works fine if I choose normal mode, but it's starting to get on my nerves.

Any ideas how to stop this screen being shown?

Also while I'm on, when I close down IE by closing all pages and return to the desktop I can only disconnect by right clicking on the two green screens and selecting "disconnect". Our computer at work has a reminder which comes up automatically when the IE page is closed asking if you want to disconnect. How do I activate this feature?

Hope this makes sense, simple replies appreciated!!
Old 31 August 2001, 04:54 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wassup Guys?? Too difficult for ya??
Old 31 August 2001, 06:56 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Your pc will only usually give you that choice if it didn't shut down correctly the last time. are there any issues with shutting down? You don't just switch it off do you?

what os is it?

Old 01 September 2001, 10:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

You could also try running Norton Utilities - WinDoctor & Disk Doctor (essntial software for a PC if you don't already own it)

You can buy it from PC World/ Staples etc...

That might sort out your startup probs...

IE - can't help there m8...

Dan
Old 03 September 2001, 11:02 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

There is a hidden read only file in your root directory called MSDOS.SYS. Open this you should see a section like this.

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
Network=1

If bootGUI is anything other than 1, reset it to 1. If this isn't the case then you have a process closing incorrectly from Windows, so you need Nortons or a reinstall of offfending program.

For the dial up dialogue box, go to tools, internet options,connections and dail up settings. There is a check box for prompt before disconnecting or something like that. Tick this.

Old 03 September 2001, 02:16 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I'll give them a go.
Old 03 September 2001, 07:51 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I've had more PC problems than I care to remember. My solution is to reinstall windows. I keep a well defined directory structure that has my data all in one place. When I have a problem, I just reinstall Windows and my programs and off I go. I'll probably get blasted by the techies on here but I have it down to 2 or 3 hours and it works for me.

IMHO the time taken to sort the problem in a techenical way is longer than a reinstall. Am I missing the point? Any techies care to comment?

David
Old 03 September 2001, 08:06 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Shark old horse,

What you do is what all IT installations ought to do as a matter of course, but you are lucky you only have to deal with yourself!!

Introduce, expediency, egos, profit, bureaucracy, consultants and contractors of dubious "experience" and, well you get the picture.

Yes it's called the IS department.
Old 03 September 2001, 09:25 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Barry

You sound like a top chap, I'll have to buy you a beer next time I'm 'Ooop t' North'.

We visit Manchester from time to time, my girl comes from there. Anywhere near you?

Sorry PeteT, not trying to nick your thread mate

David
Old 03 September 2001, 10:03 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Shark

Get a CD writer next time you install everything just do a backup of your system, every time it goes pete 30 minutes later all sorted

Si
Old 04 September 2001, 11:11 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shark:
<B>I've had more PC problems than I care to remember. My solution is to reinstall windows. I keep a well defined directory structure that has my data all in one place. When I have a problem, I just reinstall Windows and my programs and off I go. I'll probably get blasted by the techies on here but I have it down to 2 or 3 hours and it works for me.

IMHO the time taken to sort the problem in a techenical way is longer than a reinstall. Am I missing the point? Any techies care to comment?

David[/quote]

As an ex techie I always used ghost or PQDI to make an image of the system. Split your drive into 3 logical drives. Assuming you have a big &gt;10 Gig HDD, make C 2 gigs, make D 6 gigs and make e 2 gigs. Use ghost or PQDI to make an image of C onto E. Any problems and you can do a complete restore in about 10 minutes. Use D for all your non system/application stuff. I used to support a site with 2000 users. We set every PC up this way with hidden E partitions. Everytime someone logged a call we got them to run a batch file which was already on their PC to complete a full restore. This left our time free to deal with proper problems. I only wish that more people would take your attitude. We generally got jibes about not being able to fix anything and being a team of re-installation engineers. We where only concerned about fixing it as quickly as possible