Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Golf club dress code....FFS:(...

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 01:13 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Four of us went golfing a couple of days ago at the local golf course.
Firstly i was asked to leave after 3 holes because i never had spiked shoes,..i had a pair of Nikes on.Then my mate and i were told we could we could not play because neither of us had collars on.All four of us were smartly dressed btw,no jeans.
In the end i had to buy a pair of golf shoes and they let us off for the collars,only after some discussion

Afterwards we went for a drink in the clubhouse.We were refused again,....two of us were'nt wearing a collared shirt

Bloddy ridiculous if you ask me,....i cant believe people like that still exist[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]...
Old 06 March 2003, 01:15 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

serves you right for playing golf in the first place
Old 06 March 2003, 01:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Golf is okay....it all the snobbery that surrounds it i hate.
Old 06 March 2003, 01:22 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

TBH I've been refused access to a golf club bar myself. Someone invited me for a drink and it never occured to me that I'd have to visit Saville Row beforehand.
Old 06 March 2003, 01:22 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

As far as i recall,i dont ever remember VM playing golf...

Old 06 March 2003, 01:23 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

It is a joke. Infact IIRC, a woman was fired from the R&A (royal & ancient golf association thing) because she refused to wear a skirt. There was a large uprising over it, and gained much press coverage.

Even the governing body of the sport are stuck up enough to dictate what people must wear to play.

It's pathetic if you ask me
Old 06 March 2003, 01:25 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It's pathetic if you ask me
I agree.
Old 06 March 2003, 01:29 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Red face

At my mates golf club all the cars have to be parked facing the same way so that the car park looks tidy!!
Old 06 March 2003, 01:35 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Know how GOLF got its name?

"Gents Only, Ladies Forbidden"

Useless piece of information for you all....
Old 06 March 2003, 01:38 PM
Bill Poster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Quite right too!

One has to keep up standards you know.
Old 06 March 2003, 02:44 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, I can't say I like the stuffy attitude you receive in certain courses, but I think that a minimum level of dress code is only right.

Not much to ask for to play with a collar and spikes. The spikes may even improve your game!

You're always going to get some established, elderly members who will always frown upon younger players, whatever they wear and however they behave. Just ignore the ignorant, pompous fools.

Old 06 March 2003, 02:59 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Talking

here here dazzler. would you wear a T-shirt if you were dining at a decent restaurant?

pair of spikes and a polo shirt not too much to ask.

trainers? rrrriight. i take it you don't play regularly then ...

Old 06 March 2003, 03:32 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Think that's bad.....

Linford Christie - arrived recently at our local golf course and asked for a round of golf.

The club secretary immediately appeared and said "I'm sorry Sir, your are not allowed to play golf here, but there's a municipal course just 10 minutes down the road"

Linford Christie then says "Have you any idea who I am, I'm Linford Christie?"

Club Secretary - "Well in that case Sir, it's only 5 minutes down the road"

Totally agree that there is far too much of this crap at golf courses but like Kosy, I'm quite lucky that mine appears to be pretty relaxed. Only real dress code is no denim

Old 06 March 2003, 03:44 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Local course to me the guy who paid millions for it can't even play without being invited by members.......

He would have jumped a queue of 600 people whom have been waiting for many years........"and that's just not on old boy"

Women have only within recent years been able to play at weekends...

You can only invite non members twice into the club house....

Though Polo necks are allowed
Old 06 March 2003, 04:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well, I can't say I like the stuffy attitude you receive in certain courses, but I think that a minimum level of dress code is only right.
To try and conform i left my jeans at home and wore trousers.As for a polo shirt,i dont own any.Whats wrong with a smart(ish) t-shirt?
My mate had a smart roll neck shirt on,it was pretty cold,still he wasn't allowed in the clubhouse...no collar....

You can still be smart without wearing a collar,....and be scruffy wearing one.
Old 06 March 2003, 04:02 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Snobbery should be banned

But horses for courses

If thats the rules

If you were slung out of a track day because your arms wern't covered would you be as pissed off?

Yes the rules are outdated and draconian but these clubs seem to still have long waiting lists to join
Old 06 March 2003, 04:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

It's a load of old cr*p to be honest. Used to play a lot a few years ago (down to a proper 18 handicap, which isn't too bad) and I used to belong to a private club - the whole thing came across as very stuffy and old fashioned. Having played in Scotland and especially Ireland it was a breath of fresh air.

The one thing I would agree with though is wearing spikes. Not only will it help you with your stance and grip, it is also better for the greens. The greens at this time of year will normally be heavily spiked to let any water drain away. If you wear trainers, this tends to close up the top layer of grass and mud which blocks the spike holes and the water will not drain off (that's what our greenkeeper used to say anyway).

Chris
Old 06 March 2003, 04:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Fair point on the spikes..i now have a pair.
Old 06 March 2003, 04:25 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the attitude of some of the people you get at courses. Recently told off for wearing a dark pair of jeans on a driving range! It was only a 9 hole course as well.

I know what you mean about being smart without having to stick to the letter of law for these clubs, but if you don't have some level of dress etiquette then what's to stop people playing a round in the summer, bear chested ?

Old 06 March 2003, 04:28 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Wink

"bear chested"

wot, you mean like sean connery?
Old 06 March 2003, 04:34 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oops. Bare!

Well, it'd be great to get out there in a Grizzly outfit and scare some of them half to death
Old 06 March 2003, 04:38 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I found this earlier......

Read an article in Svensk Golf (Swedish Golf). The writer had visited Australia and Melbourne. While there he played some golf. At the first club he was stopped because he did not wear white socks. So he bought some and was allowed to play. At the second club he was stopped with the rule that he must wear white socks. Knee high white socks, so he bought some and was allowed to play. At the third club, Huntingdale GCC, he was yet again stopped for not wearing knee white socks, . being very frustrated he showed his knee high white socks. " I wear knee high white socks" he said. The replay came. " You must wear knee high white socks with the club's logo on!"

Talk about stupid rules and an communistic one that too. Restricting players to one kind of socks, obviously only sold at the clubshop, is not a thing for this century. I hope rules like that get banned, they tend to make golf a sport for rich and arrogant people. If the powers of golf want to make it a people's sport they must get rid of stupid barriers like sock rules.
Old 06 March 2003, 04:50 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Snobbery should be banned
Why?? Look its like a food chain. The lowest is the asylum seekers and homeless, then goes up to the lower class and so on.

I mean, if they ban snobbery, then the asylum seekers would be able to run free and stuff. Someone has to keep the "Morlocks" in place. Know your place peasant..

*runs and hides*
Old 06 March 2003, 05:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

my first job after leaving school was an apprentice alarm engineer based in Sunningdale, e used to do work in all the top golf clubs in berkshire, surrey and hampshire. It was great turning up in our white sign written van and parking right outside the pro shop or club house with our jeans and trainers or dirty overalls on, we used to wander round like we owned the place and at lunch times nip into the 19th hole for a swift (usually free) beer still wearing what we worked in and if we were there late when all the snobs started turning up in there plus 4s and wacky golf clobber it was most amusing swanning round the bar.
Old 06 March 2003, 05:20 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

WRT Spikes...a lot of clubs ban them in the summer....plastic spikes are preferred. I remember Lee Trevino having a major rant about this...the major issue being that spike marks can not be flattened on a green (unlike pitch marks)

The general dress-code philosophy is still pretty stuffy in most places in England...golf is still considered an elitist sport. However, even with more progresive clubs, the question is where to draw the line....ie how to stop ripped jeans, and offensive sloganed t-shirts etc. no-one complains about nightclubs enforcing a no trainers/denims dress code, so what, really, is the problem with another form of club doing it. As long as it is publicised (and to be honest I have never come across a private club that doesnt enforce very similar rules, and I play club competitions around the South East frequently), then it shouldnt really be a problem
Old 06 March 2003, 05:22 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I've played a course where this has happened....

The 19th has a patio whick looks down onto the 18th green. Very picturesque.
The a large group of Ladies had just finished golfing and were enjoying a drink on the patio.

Anyway, two guys come up the 18th, and end up on the green. 1st Guy sinks his put, 2nd guy misses and 1st guy wins the match.

Totally pissed of with this the loser guy start cursing and swearing at the top of his voice. Snaps his puter in two, lobs it in the lake and storms off still cursing.

Turns out one of the ladies was actually part of the ladies comittee and reports this guy for foul and abusive language. The report goes on to say how it happened in front of a number of lady members and lady visitors.

This goes to the club comittee (male) and the following is the outcome.

A notice was posted on the entrance to the Patio.

"Women are no longer allowed past this point"

True story and an excellent way to solve most problems
Old 06 March 2003, 05:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think it was the late Lord Nuffield who, when an Oxford undergraduate, was thrown off a local course. A few years later when he had a few bob he returned and bought the club.... David
Old 06 March 2003, 07:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Golf is okay if you are white, male and middle aged, also helps if you are a bit on the Partridgesque side as well, makes me want to puke.
Old 06 March 2003, 08:16 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm sure there are things that that are far more worthy of your hatred than golf and golfers
Old 06 March 2003, 08:31 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Golfs a brilliant game. I've played since I was 8 years old. You get used to the rules - its simply called etiquette. The rules are pretty simple and well displayed - even seasoned pro's like myself get caught out now and again. If your not used to it then I can easily see how it seems odd, but if you want to play then you have to make an attempt at following. Every game has its rules doesnt it?

Quick Reply: Golf club dress code....FFS:(...