Moral Dilemma (quite long)

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 10:07 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Just thought i'd post this on here to get some opinions

About September last year me and the wife were driving through Bath along one of the back streets to avoid the city centre. It was a narrowish road but two cars could pass with care despite the row of parked cars on my side of the road.
A car coming towards me was taking up more than his fair share of the road and i had to steer towards the parked cars to avoid him.

(it does get better, honest)

I heard a bang, swore, and carried on to where the road widened out. I was pretty sure that i had hit a wing mirror on one of the parked cars and because it was a sunny day/i was in a good mood/it was our anniversary i went back and had a look. No damage to the scooby but i had knocked the glass out of the wing mirror of a Fiat Cinquecento (sp?) and it had smashed on hitting the ground.

Now, because of the above aformentioned reasons, i left a short note apologising and stating that if they rang my mobile number i would sort out a replacement.

The lady called me the next day, well pleased that i had bothered to stop and gave me the model, year etc. of her motor. I promised to source a new one and give her a call or fit it if i was passing soon.

A week or so later i was in the motor spares shop and picked up a pattern part one for £3.50. It came with doublesided pads to stick over the broken or missing glass. Job done.

I didn't get to Bath for a week or two but as it happens my mate lives within spitting distance of where this car was parked. He even knew which car it was because it was always parked in the same place. I asked him to pop out one day and stick this new mirror on for me whilst i sat back and waited for the praise to come rolling in from the lady.

Didn't hear a thing from the woman for 3-4 months and forgot all about it. Then i get a message from her asking about the mirror. I check with my mate who then 'fesses up to having not stuck it on but just left it under her windscreen wiper one drunken evening.
I convince myself that she's pulling a fast one and wants another one for free so forget about it. All this grief for a £3.50 part!

So,today i had a message from someone who i can only describe as the snottiest, most patronising, condescending git i have ever had to listen to. He was calling "on behalf" of this woman, accused me of smashing her wing mirror off and demanding to know why i had been ignoring her messages (1) and exhorting me to call him back today to explain myself!!!!

I was savage to say the least but had to leave it as i was off out.

It's one of those things that has gone on for so long that i am now loathe to drop it after this arseholes comments today.

So (thanks for reading this far) what do you reckon i should do?

Roy (not such a do-gooder anymore)
Old 16 April 2003, 10:13 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

If you can get another one for £3.50, buy it and send it to her recorded delivery.

Job done.
Old 16 April 2003, 10:34 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Well, annoyingly you admited to damaging her property and have no proof that you repaired it.

As it was only £3.50, I'd probably just send her another mirror.

Steve.
Old 16 April 2003, 11:01 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Mmmm.. methinks you are probably right but it smells like defeat to me.

She has no idea where i live or any details apart from my first name and mobile number.
Old 16 April 2003, 11:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Send a new one.
Defeat or not, you stop getting hassle
Old 17 April 2003, 10:39 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Wink

Give your mate a slap and get him to do it properly this time?

Old 17 April 2003, 10:45 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

Invest £3.50 in the glass and send direct to the stroppy bird.

Then get your mate who owes you one to slash her friends tyres.

The scales of justice are now balanced.

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2003, 10:49 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Aah now that's more like it Medders and Dai!

Wouldn't it be terrible if i sent her the replacement mirror but then her other mirror got broken, tsk.
Old 17 April 2003, 10:59 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

LOL - I meant get him to fit it properly. There is a chance she never really got it by the sound of it

I don't think this is reason to kill her and her family and friends
Old 17 April 2003, 11:08 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

I didn't until yesterday, he was VERY patronising.

Roy, the mild mannered, laid back, worm with a conscience, has turned! Mwuhaha
Old 17 April 2003, 11:19 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

I believe in Ying and Yang ( or is it Zig and Zag ).
Balance in life is all.
You have sinned and have attoned for your sin.
You have been sinned against, now is the time for you to receive contrition in the form of revenge.
The universe is now balanced.
Amen
Old 17 April 2003, 11:40 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Roy

I would ask your MATE to get another one and fit it.
Old 17 April 2003, 11:45 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Agree with Pete C, your mate stuffed it up for you so get him to cough up £3.50. He probably sold it down the pub for £4
Old 17 April 2003, 12:06 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

LOL at Dai. Much better if Zig and Zag were in control of the universal balance of life.

Might just shame my mate into sorting it out.
Old 19 April 2003, 06:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Pete is right Roy-best way out. And ignore the smart **** who wrote to you so rudely without knowing the facts.

Les
Old 19 April 2003, 07:08 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Wiltshire_boy...forget all about it,you made an effort to correct it,something went wrong,dont worry about it.
There's more to life than a broken wing mirror and if she rings up tell her you tried to sort it,but life moves on..

Personally i wouldn't have left a note in the first place.
Old 20 April 2003, 09:37 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

nah m8 this is vendetta time. get astraboy on the job. i am sure he can come up with something very machiavellian.

cheers

big sinky
Old 20 April 2003, 10:30 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Well to be honest if someone broke my glass, I wouldnt be settling for a £3.50 cheap and nasty stick on jobby. Id want the full £20 gen clip in one.

Part of your grief is your "mate" who didnt do want you asked him to. Anybody could have nicked it so why are you instantly on the attack over the victim whose only crime was to park where a dosy tw@t lkike you drives into it!

Get him to cough uip £3.50 then go and get a new one.

You created this mess. Be a man and sort it out, i think if someone was messing my wife (I havent got one mind) about Id step in after a short time to sort it out! SO dont get arsy just cos she felt the need to start being less than amicable!

Old 20 April 2003, 10:42 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

@ rr-ww

say what ya mean fella.....no go on m8 don't hold back

cheers

big sinky
Old 20 April 2003, 11:11 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

<astraboy mode>

Get a new mirror and use a newly found adhesive formula of petrol and a naked flame to attach it to the car

</astraboy mode>
Old 20 April 2003, 11:43 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

somebody call? I live just rounnd the CORNER from bath as well
astraboy.
Old 20 April 2003, 03:35 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

LOL, yeah, didn't really understand what you are trying to say there rr_ww

haven't done a thing about this yet, but will probably just send her another one then wait......and wait.....and wait......

..........oh i might forgive but i never forget (ok, apart from most things, most of the time)
Old 20 April 2003, 04:06 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Looking at it from a neutral point of view....

You smashed her mirror and she hasn't yet had a replacement.An original part would cost more than the £3.50 one from a parts shop and they can look a bit crap anyway.Buy her a new one and keep it out of the hands of insurers where it will cost you a lot more than that.
It's not a case of winning/losing,it's about what's right for the the woman who hasn't done anything wrong.I'd also give your mate a mouthful for dropping you in it.
Old 20 April 2003, 04:49 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Arrow

You created this mess. Be a man and sort it out, i think if someone was messing my wife (I havent got one mind) about Id step in after a short time to sort it out! SO dont get arsy just cos she felt the need to start being less than amicable!
Its a f*cking wing mirror for gods sake,...do nothing and next time she rings tell her to get a life.
Old 20 April 2003, 05:31 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Angry

South Star

Please leave your REAL FULL address on your next post. I'll come round and smash your wing mirror glass.

OK? Seeing as its "only a Fecking mirror glass" eh

You lot are ****ing ridiculous! all the **** about people opening doors onto you precious cars yet if its the other way round its completely the other parties fault. Like I said "Be a man about it" Admit you ****ed up and sort it out!!!!

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 20 April 2003, 06:50 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

'kin ell rr', easy now.

This was only meant to be simple question. As stated above i will more than likely be replacing the mirror.

It was just a general topic on the rights and wrongs of bumping another car then having the decency to leave your details.

I personally lost 2 antennas and had an Anarchy sign scratched into my drivers side window before i got my lockup and i live in a "nice" area of Wiltshire. You can already guess that the perpetrators of those misdemeanours didn't leave any details for me.

My point was that i did have the decency to leave my details and it has now dragged on for 7 months. How much easier it would have been to have just carried on driving and put it out of my mind.

I am positive that no one on here really condones any kind of retribution or deliberate damaging of other peoples property, but who can put hand on heart and say that in all of their years of driving they have not bumped/scratched/broken/scraped or otherwise damaged someone elses car and then taken full responsibility for it?
Old 20 April 2003, 11:33 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

'Only a wing mirror glass'.

I work for a BMW dealer, in parts. We sell a lot of mirror glasses. Some cost £11. Most cost £50. We had a guy come in the other day, smashed wing mirror glass, 'what type of glass does it have on it, sir?', 'don't know' comes the reply. We go look at it for him. Electrochromatic mirrors. 'That'll be £150 please, sir'

Some git had hit his and driven off too.

Sort it out, fella. Could've been a lot worse than £3.50!

Rich
Old 21 April 2003, 11:48 AM
Red Scooby widdow
Scooby Regular

Just send a new replacement via recorded or next day delivery so it HAS to be signed for and attach a curt note explaining that it is the second replacement supplied and that you'd appreciate no more rude calls from thrid parties. Maybe add that You'll think twice in future about owning up to anything like this !
Old 21 April 2003, 06:01 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

If the original was just left under the windscreen wiper whilst your mate was pissed, then there is every chance another pissed person could have nicked it. And besides, you did tell her (in so many words) you would fix it, so she has a right to be upset about it. I know it wasn't directly your fault in the first place, but it was definately not her fault.

My advise is bite the bullet, buy another one and fit it personally (or by someone you can trust!). Its the gentlemanly thing to do, and you'd expect the same to be done for you.
Old 22 April 2003, 12:10 AM
Red Scooby widdow
Scooby Regular

Why the heck can't she fit it herself..... because she's a woman does this preclude her from being able to do this small task ? as for the argument "well you busted it so you should fix it" The guy who sideswiped me in the lanes one day and totally pulverised my mirror, didn't even stop, never mind offer to replace my mirror or even fit it....Sorry but I believe that if you are capeable of driving a car, then you should be capeable of small maintenance jobs..... Not much more you could do for that "lady", she should just get on and stick the new one on and be done with it.