super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good!! **** off giving me lung cancer with passive smoking
Old 24 April 2003, 03:50 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Do you live in a city per chance? Or in the mountains away from the high concentrations of carcinogenic particulates that are inherant from any deisel burning city?

Blame the cars before the cigarettes.
Old 24 April 2003, 03:52 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

No, i just dont agree with arrogant ******* smoking around people who dont.
Really bugs me big time.
Old 24 April 2003, 03:54 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

No argument there, you shouldn't force it on anyone.

But of all places to ban a smoke?!
Old 24 April 2003, 03:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If there is going to be a ban, it's about time. I'm fed up with having to breathe people's fumes whevener I want to go out for a drink; it spoils my evening and I have to wash my hair and all my clothes afterwards to get rid of the smell. How would you like it if I sat next to you in a pub and deliberately farted throughout the whole evening?
Old 24 April 2003, 03:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucky you lot.

I don't blame anyone for possible lung cancer, but it REALLY pisses me off having to wash all my clothes after a night out. And some of them are cashmere, I can't just chuck them in the washing machine. So now I have really nice clothes at home that I can't wear to any social occasion unless I want the dry cleaning bill afterwards.

The Portuguese don't even know what a no-smoking section is. And if there is one (eg in the airport) it sure as hell is ignored.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:04 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

What a stupid idea. Banning smoking in pubs is dumb. OK create non-smoking areas where you are able to, but don't ban it completely. I accept that going into a pub I am going to be surrounded by smokers, if I don't wnat to sit in a smokey atmosphere I go somewhere else, I have that choice, banning things just creates more problems., Look at what happened in New York......
Old 24 April 2003, 04:05 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Same here, i dont drink or smoke. I got to the pub to what footy or rugby on a friday night.

I hate being subjected to peoples smoke going home and smelling of it.

Si
Old 24 April 2003, 04:09 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The main problem lies with the ventilation systems in these places - they are dire. This bill would be better to enforce provision of adequate and efficient ventilation systems as this would cure most of the probs with smoke anyway. Hardly anywhere I go has decent vent. None smoker BTW.......
Old 24 April 2003, 04:12 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
They should have smoking and non-smoking pubs that way everyone can be happy.

I don't smoke but the way I see it if I choose to go into a pub then I know people will be smoking in there. Public transport is a different argument but pubs are for people to relax in and if they want to smoke let them. Non-smokers can always choose to avoid pubs an argument that cannot be applied to trains etc
Old 24 April 2003, 04:13 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

Be interesting to see what happens when the Pub's turnover falls 50% bcos no smokers want to go there...

You can please some of the people some of the time....

M.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:15 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

hmm... well I am a smoker, but I dont think I'm an arrogant w####r si.
A lot are I agree and I think that those who do smoke have an obligation to those who dont. But banning smoking in pubs is IMO not the way to go. Pubs will lose a lot of trade and most pubs (particularly the nice little pubs in the country that people like to visit every now and then) can ill afford to lose any trade. Putting them out of business is not going to help anyone.

Steve
Old 24 April 2003, 04:17 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I packed up around the end of September last year and my partner gave up the end of Jan this year. Neither of us have a problem with others smoking in a pub. It's just one of those things. Admittedly, I now chuck all my clothes in the wash immediately when I get in and have a shower to get the smell out of my hair BUT that's the price you pay for going to a pub. Banning smoking there is a stooooooooopid idea, it'll never work!!
Old 24 April 2003, 04:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

"It's just one of those things." hmm... Not in the States it's not. All bars in California (and a lot of other places) are no smoking. It's wonderful and should be introduced here a.s.a.p. IMO.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Why exactly do you think I should pay any price for going into a pub, over and above the cost of drinks?

I agree with the comments about ventilation; I don't mind people smoking so much when I don't have to suffer the smell myself. Maybe the right compromise is to have legislation requiring anywhere where smoking is permitted, to meet some minimum ventilation and airflow requirement. At least that would allow groups of people where some smoke and others don't to visit pubs together without anyone having to suffer unduly.

Andy.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:32 PM
ChrisB

As a none smoker, pub going person it's a necessary evil to me.

Have a shower before you go out and come home smelling worse than you did pre shower.

There's a pub in Shrewsbury that is purely no smoking - very good it is too.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:35 PM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

i am a non-smoker and don't like stinking of smoke but it is going to be very hard to find a solution...some of my friends smoke so putting them in a seperate room would allienate either me or them....the ventilation point is a good one....why not have some kind of ventilation test done annually and the licensee given a smoking allowed license if the ventilation is good enough.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:45 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

I can't understand peeps being shocked by smoking occurring in a pub. It's like me going to the gym to watch MTV then moaning about all the sweaty people stinking up the place.

They are one of the few public places where smoking is still allowed or even encouraged.
No smoking in cinemas, trains, buses, planes, theatres etc. and quite right too, but no one has to go to the pub.

Most restaurants/bars have a non-smoking area or are completely non-smoking, why not go there for a drink and leave us social outcasts to our own premature deaths

Roy (smoker ->nonsmoker -> part time smoker)

Going out now to find my flameproof suit.

[Edited by wiltshire_boy - 4/24/2003 4:48:51 PM]
Old 24 April 2003, 04:54 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

No-One HAS to smoke. I think all this smoking area stuff is crap. Just ban it, its costing us a bomb(don't give me the tobacco tax crap) in NHS costs. Biggest killer in Western Europe, sooner we make it illegal everywhere except in your own house(or smoke places) the better.

Cheers
Cammy

[Edited by camk - 4/24/2003 4:54:47 PM]
Old 24 April 2003, 04:56 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Not even allowed to smoke on "corners"
Old 24 April 2003, 05:05 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I agree with the wearing of nice clothes thing - there's no point wearing them to the pub. At the end of the night they stink, and have probably been ruined by a *** burn.

Old 24 April 2003, 05:05 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Nice well thought out sweeping statement there!

If I go out with non-smokers then I don't smoke... if I feel the need then I will go outside. I know how much the stuff stinks and I am in the process of cutting it out... five more left in the pack and no cash in my pocket to buy more (Friday could be interesting)

I personally don't like going out in an evening and smelling of smoke and needing to shower. Yes it is odd but I smoke outside, never inside my flat and always have a a few Thin Ice things after one at work.

Personnally I believe this will effect pubs negatively and cause a lot of trouble for door persons that will be the ones in the firing line.
Old 24 April 2003, 05:06 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

If you want to smoke have one and bollox to all the do gooders
If you dont like it stay in Are you all selling your cars because
of pollutionno i thought not
Old 24 April 2003, 05:11 PM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Smokers stink! Of course I am biased as I lost my Dad and a brother to cancer. Not a pretty sight seeing someone projectile vomitting blood from their lungs over the bedroom walls. A scary and painful way to die too.
Old 24 April 2003, 05:22 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Angry

You go to pubs, bars and clubs! You know they will be a smokey environment!

I don't/didn't smoke in non-smoking areas, so in a place where they have the decencey to place ashtrays around, then people will smoke!

It's like people complaining about the smoking carrage on a train!! There are like 9-11 other carrages full of people not smoking, so stop f***ing complaining if the only place you can get a seat is the smoking carrage!! Make your mind up, get a seat and put up, or stand in another carrage and shut up!! (sorry pet hate!!!)

Smoking is pollution, but look at how much damamge your car can do to the environment!!

I wonder which is worse a Scoob, or a group of ten people chain smoking together?
Old 24 April 2003, 06:31 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Andy,
Everything you say is true, however you cannot effectively argue that 2 wrongs make a right and any tie between smoking and cars regarding pollution is hardly tenable in the Pub.
Pubs do not need to be smokey, in the same way they don't need to shut at 2:30 in the afternoon and 10pm at night. Its just a change, drastic for some but its change. I remember when I'd never have believed we'd have seen pubs open on a Sunday or non smoking flights.. .. .. .however its now standard practice. New York have a full ban on Smoking in all establishments. Its coming and nothing will stop it.

Cheers
CK
Old 24 April 2003, 06:46 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, it will be places like Witherspoons who should be an example! They have a smoking and non-smoking bit! (And no crap music, no television, etc!)
Old 24 April 2003, 06:55 PM
Luke
BANNED

And smokers should be made to carry little waistband containers to throw their but ends into....instead of the floor. What a bloody mess they cause.. Raise the price to £10.00 a packet and make the losers smoke at home.
Old 24 April 2003, 07:21 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Luke,

U are about as subtle as a house brick. Why raise them to £10 a packet? the damn government take enough money from each packet as it is. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Calling smokers losers ? how do u get that then exactly?

Quick Reply: What! No smoking in pubs?!