Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

02 XDA

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 10:00 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..anyone got one of these little puppies and can give me advice on whether they're any good? Especially interested in their ability to surf the net.. whats the running costs like?
Cheers in advance
R
Old 24 April 2003, 10:17 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I dont actually own one, but i used one for a week last year, and had no problems with it, as for web browsing, the only thing to remember is that it doesn't support popup windows (or at least I couldn't see the option anywhere)

I cant comment on the cost as I didn't have to pay the bill, but the fact that it is on GPRS you will pay for the data you transfer. If you started to look at threads in Members Gallery on here on it you would be running up the data transfer pretty quickly!
Old 24 April 2003, 10:24 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

***** out of the equation then??
Old 24 April 2003, 10:48 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Currently have about 50 of 'em with plans for 1000 within the year

I have a personal one which is what I currently use for my mobile modding

1st things 1st - CR@P PHONE

It is not what you want as a phone - connections are flaky, quality poor at times, speaker-phone isn't, I've yet to find a hands-free that allows the mic to work properly and basically just disappointing. I'm led to believe that its more Microsoft than the phone that is the problem there.

As a PDA, its on a par with an iPaq no doubt. It lacks BlueTooth, so a bit of connectivity, has an SD slot but only a few piggy-back options for expansion. USB/serial conector is differnt to an iPaq.

I'm just awaiting a GPS receiver so that I can run TomTom & Trafcam. I use it to browse SN when out and about (stuck in trafic jams or waiting for the wife to finish shopping ) I can VPN into the office & remote control Servers & PCs via Terminal Services or VNC & finally check emails etc.

We'll be using them for our bespoke courier package, together with a cell-tracking solution that we've invented & for that, they're ideal.

As to running costs? £1 per 1mb & a 20 min browse of SN can use 340K IIRC - need a PDA non-graphical version Simon!

If you need more help, give us a call

Old 25 April 2003, 09:38 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Puff, the GPS receiver is now available and can be used as an sat nav autoroute. If you need info give me a shout.

Just to add I've just got a Nokia 6100 and the speaker phone is excellent. Just sits on the passenger seat or dashboard and I can yap away.

[Edited by Scooby-Doo - 4/25/2003 9:39:52 AM]
Old 25 April 2003, 10:48 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Scooby-Doo

I know I can use iPaq stuff but needs an attachment, but YHM anyway.