Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tandem or not ......?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2003, 11:44 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Scenario, mate is doing his training to be able to skydive anywhere, he has a few more jumps to do. 2moro he is off to take a step more in finishing it. Weather permitting in Northampton, i will be going with him. I have the chance (first for me) to do a Tandem for £200 notes, i am fairly keen, obviously a few nerves.

Anyone done a tandem skydive and thought it was the muts nuts ? plus £200 notes, a fair price do you think ? thoughts !!

Trying to get a scooby grin on my face in preperation. !! LMAO
Old 15 May 2003, 12:00 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Do it, you'll always wonder what it would have been like if you dont. I'd love to do a skydive, tandem or solo.
Old 15 May 2003, 12:08 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Andy, do you think £200 is worth it for prob about 30 seconds though.? i cant see it lasting more than this, unless of course the shoot dont open and i plummet to earth, then it will be quicker and it will be in all my families memories until they depart this wonderful world !! LMAO ho hum.

I am grinning a bit already TBH, i reckon i will do it. Just need to get pyhcd (spolling)
Old 15 May 2003, 12:49 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
£200.00 seems like a lot of cash. But, it'll last more than 30 seconds, your legs will be wobbling and your adrenaline will be up for hours.
Old 15 May 2003, 01:02 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Let me tell you about mine

I always wanted to do a Parachute jump, and I am scared of heights, and I had never been in a plane before in my life, let alone this plane, which was a transit van with wings, and no seats !!

it cost me about 360 quid (the amount I had to raise for Charity), I put about 120 quid in myself

I did a Tandem Jump, from 13,000 feet, freefalling for about a minute, and then Under Canopy for a good few minutes, what a rush coming out of the plane, and then doing 'Air Donuts' and then diving travelling in excess of 100mph vertical speed, as well as plummeting towards the earth at 120mph

Then once the 'chute opens, sheer tranquility, peace & silence like you couldnt imagine, and the views are amongst the best I have ever seen

I cannot go on a plane these days without wanting to jump out

and all those rides at Alton Towers are complete pants and are boring now

If you do, do it (and I suggest you do, or you will regret it) whatever you do, get it videoed, this cannot be stressed enough (costs about 50 quid)

any way here is a pic, the lunatic with a camera took of me
By the way Ididnt have a parachute, just two clips holding me on to the instructor

Steve
Old 15 May 2003, 11:53 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

*Sonic* well i am sold.

Unfortunately, weather wasnt good enough to jump, so i havent gone, maybe next time, he has a few jumps to do yet, so plenty of time to go along. boo hoo hoo.
Old 15 May 2003, 12:10 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I'm with sonic - I did a tandem in australia a few years ago and it was absolutely fantastic. An immense ecperience. I was in New Zealand a couple of months later and signed up straight away to do another one - but the weather was a bit grim so I gave up my place to those that had never done it, and we had to move on before I could do it again.

Bought one for my girlfriend for her birthday a couple of years ago and she absolutely loved it.

Like sonic says, make sure you get photos and a video if you can afford it - its worth it to relive it.

As sonic says, the calmness and peacefulness when the 'chute opens is fantastic.

It is really worth trying to get it on a nice day as the views will be amazing, although in this country it is such a lottery....

Do it!!

Trending Topics

Old 16 May 2003, 01:19 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Ipski, you have got to do it I have heard a few stories from friends about how good it is and I have often thought about doing it myself.

By the way, this is Hotpants' bro!!!
Old 16 May 2003, 02:22 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

I work on the theory "never leave a serviceable aircraft"
Old 16 May 2003, 04:28 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Sonic,
How come you got a shower cap instead of a helmet? What a helmet gonna do at 120mph into the ground anyway?
Old 16 May 2003, 05:06 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Looks like the instructor is crying cos you just kicked him in the kn@kers with you left leg. LOL
Old 16 May 2003, 05:23 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

hey SirFozzalot

well when dave takes me along next time, i will be havin it, you will have to join us !!
Old 16 May 2003, 07:06 PM
Scot123
Scooby Regular

Do it, you won't be disappointed.

Got my international 'A' license a year and a half ago, now have 140 jumps to my name. It is quite frankly the best thing I've EVER done. Nothing else comes even close. Can't get over the feeling of freedom being 'out' in the sky with nothing aound you in any diection for 2 miles. It certainly gives you a different perspective on life once you get away from out 2 dimensional exsistance.

ps www.dropzone.com if you still have any nagging doubts, they have a good forum

Currently 'trying'to freefly but my ultimate goal is to fly a wingsuit (not till I have about 500 jumps though). Missed alot of the good weather this year due to working constant night shift, getting really pissed of not being able to jump. Grrrr.

[Edited by Scot123 - 5/16/2003 7:08:42 PM]