Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heavy lorries make my house shake, can I complain?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2003, 01:31 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any regulations re heavy lorries causing damage to a property as they drive past? Only, my house shakes when the huge cement lorries drive past, I'm just a bit worried about long term damage.
Old 16 May 2003, 01:36 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

does the same past my house mate! let us know if you get anywhere as I'm often woken up in the morning by the bloody great rumble of them tanking past.
astraboy
Old 16 May 2003, 01:44 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Chaz, you can't be serious. Suely if you buy a house next to a main road then you will get traffic noise. The same as if you buy a house under the flight path for Heathrow, you may hear the occasional jet aircraft.

Am I missing the point here?
Old 16 May 2003, 01:56 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Yes you are Pete. I said they make my house shake. The noise isn't a problem. I'm worried that it will shake it to bits.
Old 16 May 2003, 01:58 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

This is one for me - you can complain - in fact, I have two letters on my desk at this very moment from people with exactly the same problem

There's two answers - If your on a "abnormal indivisable road route" then no, we can't do anything about it as these are routes designated by the Highways Agency for large loads.

The other one is if you're on a normal residential route and large vehicles are cutting through to aviod some traffic lights or a junciton etc. i.e. a more suitable route then weight restrictions are possible - however, if the tip or location theyr'e going to/from is on your road you're unlikley to get this put in!

...or working out an alternative route with the companies?

...still, it's worth a try, and yes - people that buy houses on routes they know are busy then complain do make me mad [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 16 May 2003, 02:11 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Sorry Chaz, I jumped in without asking the facts. I take it this has only just started happening then, hence your concern.
Old 16 May 2003, 02:18 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

well this should be interesting, I lived at this house since 81. the industrial estate round the corner used to be tiny, now its massive and have soo many HGVs going in and out its unbeleiveable.
However, I've thought of alternative routes and the only other one is past a school. In other words, I got no chance.
Is there any thing else that can be done when no alternate routes present themselves?
astraboy.
Old 16 May 2003, 02:22 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

it's not exactly the same situation, but a mate of mine had a flat which was very close to a railway line. Subsequently there was a huge increase in freight along the line so obviously more noise. The locals got together and managed to get the railway to pay for everyone to have triple glazing installed. Perhaps you could try something similar to at least combat the noise. As for damage caused by the shaking - I guess this would at least be covered by your homes insurance.

Steve
Old 16 May 2003, 02:33 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I know this goes against the grane so to speak but can you request a 10 -15 mph limit be enforced in your immediate area?

That way the lorries can still use the route but they won't come thundering past
Old 16 May 2003, 02:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

***SCOOBYNETTER REQUESTS SPEED LIMIT SHOCKER***
Old 16 May 2003, 02:43 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 16 May 2003, 02:47 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

The bit of road in question is a dual carridgeway. Turn towards Blackburn off the M6 Junction 31, I live on the A59. The M65 does run along side it though. How heavy can a heavy load get? Can I send a 1000tonne lorry down the road? If it makes my house shake isn't it damaging the road too?
Old 16 May 2003, 03:05 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Jen,
It is only one particular firm that is causing the trouble. Does this make a difference?
Old 16 May 2003, 03:21 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Chaz

Fully laden ready mix trucks are about 24 tonnes, so certainly not the heaviest things on the road. Living next to a dual carriageway and a motorway, I doubt you will have much success.

IIRC the weight limit is 39 tonnes for UK roads, but exceptionally heavy loads are permitted under licence.
Old 16 May 2003, 03:38 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

The M65 motorway is a couple of junctions further down the M6 and is not a problem. What about the damage to the road, surely this must move up and down more than my house!

Noise isn't a problem. My other half thinks I'm sad when I look out the window when I hear a Scoob LOL. I am a one of strange breed that shouts "go on lad" (or lass) when someone really gives it some stick from the roundabout up past the house.
Old 16 May 2003, 04:40 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Chaz, (sorry for the slow reply - no SN access during working hours [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] )

It might well be worth a try, in this instance I'd (as the Council) write/ring the company and request they use the alternative route (if there is one available)...the one I'm dealing with at the moment is us requesting they (large industrial park) send their lorries down the road the "other" way to what they're doing at the moment, hence avioding residential areas Not sure how much luck you'll have with a dual carriageway, but I'd def. say it's worth a try - especially if they weren't using that route before - ask why they've started using it now Note we can only request though, they have as much right to use the highway as anyone else

Re: the speed limit - highly unlikley this would be passed, you have to have a certain lentgh, speeds need to be near the speed you put in (i.e. to put in a 30mph limit speeds need to be max. 36mph 85 percentile) and you have to have the backing from the police...oh, and you can't enforce limits just for lorries!

Nice idea though - we have a road here which is a 40mph limit, however the BP lorries that use the road have a company enforced limit of 30mph (which they stick to!! ) due to the company wanting to keep good relations with the residents, so it might be worth writing to them if the Council does nothing? Just an idea
Old 16 May 2003, 05:04 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Cool, cheers Jen.

Scoobynet to the rescue
Old 16 May 2003, 07:03 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

that sounds nice to me as well, its a thirty limit round my way as well, but they tank along as 40-45!okay for cars but when the heavy haulage boys hit the draincover outside my road... THOOOOOMMMM!!!!
THATS! waht wakes me up in the morning!
astraboy.
Old 16 May 2003, 08:23 PM
Lord Of The Bling...
Scooby Regular

Chaz i have the same problem as you mate i do live on a very busy road, and the traffic sure doesnt get any better.on my day off i`m normally woken up by the sound of hgv rattling my back windows...also as the roads quite long the trafffic at night is much faster, its certainly a pleasure to hear the nova posse loud exhausts (not)
parcel force also run all the vehicles here thorugh the night........is there anything that can be done check to the ammount of vehicles in day/night time...i mean is there a kinda of limit to the number of vehicles using the road?