Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

consumer rights for kids?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2003, 05:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

My 16 year old was recently paid for two weeks work he did for us, and bought himself a minidisc player from the proceeds.
After only 8 days, the door doesn't latch properly, the disc doesn't need to be pushed all the way in, (it just drops to the bottom, and the disc no longer ejects, but needs to be tipped out.
He took it back to the shop, and told them he was rejecting it, but they declined to swop it until one of their engineers had looked at it.
Now they say he has caused the problem, although they decline to say how, and they will only repair it, not swop it.
After such a short time, surely this is insufficient?
Are they taking him for a ride as he's young, or are they within their rights?
Alcazar
Old 16 May 2003, 05:27 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

What condition is it in? If it looks like it's been mistreated they may get away with this but otherwise I'd say not. I reckon they would have to be able to prove that the player has been misused.

Goods have to be fit for the purpose for which they were sold and I'd say that a minidisc player which develops the problems described in such a short time does not meet this criterion.

As he's asking for a replacement rather than a refund it should make it easier. I'd get stroppy with them. Go in, be polite but firm, explain the problem, ask to see the manager if you can't get anywhere with the sales staff. Make a nuisance of yourself. It's not good for a shop's reputation to have a customer complaining loud and long in the store. It tends to put other customers off. Sometimes if the store staff get the idea that you're not going to stop bugging them until you are satisfied, they'll sort the problem out just to get rid of you.

If all else fails, threaten to contact Trading Standards, but be prepared to do it. Sometimes shops have stubborn managers who try it on even when they know they are in the wrong.

Good luck.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 5/16/2003 5:28:36 PM]
Old 16 May 2003, 05:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The player is in mint condition, apart from a slight scuff mark on the rear caused by taking it out of/putting it into it's carrying case.
I guess it's trading standards on monday then.:
Alcazar
Old 16 May 2003, 05:36 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

The sale of goods act changed in Febuary of this year and state's that a customer is entitled to a full refund if a product is fault/defective within 6 months of purchase. The customer doesn't even need a receipt now.

If I was you I get the parents to go down and mention sale of goods act blah balh and they will 9 times out of ten give the money back anyway
Old 16 May 2003, 05:39 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

If you get no joy I will get you a copy of the actfrom workso that you can shove it under their nose. They may not be aware of this recent change.But you have always had upto 28days to return goods anyway as long as they are in the original packaging anyway
Old 16 May 2003, 06:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Might try that on monday. thanks STi4
Alcazar
Old 16 May 2003, 07:03 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

I will get my granny to sort em out for you! I get her to take my stuff back, she puts the ***** up everyone, even the bin men
Old 16 May 2003, 07:48 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sti - that relys on them admitting it defective and not mistreated.

Go down to the shop and be loud about the substandard goods and poor treatment of young customers. Once they agree to swap it get them to throw something in as a 'gesture of goodwill' - IE - To stop you standing in the shop shouting about it...... Works every time.
Old 16 May 2003, 08:32 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Tried this approach last week with a faulty cordless drill I bought.

Went into shop when they were busy and just in process of selling similar expensive drill to a new punter. Spotty little oick wanted to serve me but I explained loudly that I wanted to see the manager about my problem with the warranty on my drill as I had been in many times before and got fobbed off but this time I wanted it sorted!

I had already been sent from showroom to workshop and back. I was very wound up and ready for a good arguement.

As soon as the manager was free I started my tirade. The manager camly asked me exactly what model it was. I pointed to one on the shelf. He took a similar one down and said "Sorry, please take this one. Its better than your original model but we've let you down and hopefully this will sort you out".

"Erh, Thank you very much"

I was almost disappointed as I'd wound myself up for a right arguement and he completely took the wind out of my sails. Simple good old fashion customer service. I'll go back there now.
Old 17 May 2003, 09:28 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Had similar problem with a Bosch cordless drill which I used for 2 days installing my new kitchen before it bust. Went in to exchange it and they didn't have any so I insisted on getting a different make with the same discount!!!

I'm also on my 3rd MuVo from Dixons, they change it every 3 weeks.

I think personally they are trying to take advantage of his age. Suggest you go down and be polite but firm, say it's faulty after 8 days and you would like it exchanged please. Don't throw sale of goods at them unless they refuse and then insist on seeing the manager.

Is it a multinational chain or a small independent?

Good luck.

Dave
Old 17 May 2003, 01:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Small independent. I went in this morning, and had a bit of a row with the manager. He eventually agreed to replace the entire mechanim into the existing case, so we don't have to wait until about 6 weeks, but he refused point blank to exchange it.:
Shan't bother with them again.
Alcazar