Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scooby V Ferrari !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 11:29 AM
Carl Harvey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently followed a yellow 355 from Stamford to Rockingham. There was quite a lot of trafic about so it was mainly passing manouvres and the odd stretch of twisty clear road.

Speeds didn't get "too" high but I did have to keep throttling off as I was getting too close to him.

I'm not saying he wouldn't of left me standing on a straight run, but he was fractionally slower on this type of road.

But then it's not all about speed !!!

Forgot to say I have unmodded Sti 8.

[Edited by Carl Harvey - 6/3/2003 11:30:10 AM]
Old 31 May 2003, 04:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I peruse this board with sceptesism and take most things on it with a pinch of salt, but I have a new found belief which need clearing up. I have read about people in scoobs racing ferraris and telling how they p1ssed all over it and just laugh but yesterday I had a play with a ferrari on the autobahn and was really dissapointed. now anybody who knows me knows that my car is a fairly standard MY00 GT I have a scoobysport DP and a PE backbox and that is about as far as it goes to increase performance, however the car is incredibly noisy, but going through a tunnel on the A81 (the german contingent now where I mean) my car was inaudible over the noise this ferrari was making, I had no intention of going for it with the ferrari but I wanted to humiliate the BMW that was trying it on, so I cought up easily with the 2 cars in front and the road cleared so the ferrari put it's foot down and made even more noise so was definately up for it however I had to back off because the ferrari inspite of the noise did not vanish into the distance quick enough and I did not fancy running into the back of it, this was on a hot dry road and we were accelerating from just over 100 so it was not even a standing start, I have no idea what this ferrari was but it was low red, wide and noisy and newer than a 308 gts. Now I know your all going to say well he was not trying or he was not yet out of first gear but believe me he was and he was loosing, so I for one will read your "I went up against a ferrari" stories with a bit more of an open mind in future.
Old 31 May 2003, 05:02 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

yeah, he may not pull away like a train (say a F355 - 375bhp) but he will go on to 180mph, you wont...therefore it won't take long for him to pull away (and he may have just dropped it a cog rather than 2).
Old 31 May 2003, 05:07 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Midget, that I am not disputing but I was just supprised he did not take off alot quicker than he did considering we were already doing over a ton.
Old 31 May 2003, 05:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Something like a 328?
Had a blast with one of these and he couldnt keep up

Tony
Old 02 June 2003, 06:41 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
I've driven a Testarossa and Mondial. The Mondial was slower than my 98MY scoob (although higher top speed!). I reckon the RB5 Prodrive would've held its own against the Testarossa too.

The main thing I found with both was the gears are very very long, so if you cruising along and want to put your foot down, you do need to drop it a couple of gears to get the same sort of acceleration as dropping 1 gear in the scoob!

The gated gearboxes are also really cumbersome and slow to change gear, so the temptation is not to drop any gears and leave it in the current gear and make do with humbling only 99% of the other road users!
Old 02 June 2003, 08:53 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day though, he was in a Ferrari and you was in ya Scoob, reguardless of whos car is fastest, i would rather be in the Ferrari!

Old 03 June 2003, 09:46 AM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

BMWwhere

I have a '91 Testarossa...I can safely say any Scooby Imprezza will 'have it' 0 to 60 but once over 80mph the 'red head' is devastatingly quick. I seriously believe only a seriously modded Scoob would hold it's own and as per a previous post it's geared to do in excess of 180mph so given the room the Ferrari will pull away

The 328's are no expecially powerful and I'd consider it perfectly possible the Ferrari you were following was indeed trying
Old 03 June 2003, 10:40 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Nat21: I dare say the gated boxes could be better, but when your not used to it, like me, its not so easy!

Zero_to60: My 98MY was no way as quick 0-60 as the Testarossa I drove (well it certainly didn't feel it when I drive it immediately after!), but the RB5 PPP would probably have had it! I don't think anyone would argue that once the scooby's power starts to drop off just about any (recentish) Ferrari will leave any Scoob with standard gear ratios!
Old 03 June 2003, 11:29 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Even if you could keep up, I'd rather have a Ferrari parked in my drive than a Subaru!
Old 03 June 2003, 11:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Nevetas - youve hit the nail on the head. If I had a Ferrari Id be content driving around at 60mph and leaving all the racing to the muppets trying it on. Although could keep the scoob for a weekday car

Simon.