Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling a car back to the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2003, 10:35 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Right, continuing on my 'nobody wants to buy my car, boo hoo' topics, I think my only option is to try & sell it back to the dealership

Has anyone done this before? How easy is it, and do they only really pay out the trade price? or is it down to how well you haggle?

Just wondering if there's anything I should say or do, that would make them take it back easily, cause it appears to be my only option, and I really need to get rid of it

Quite a pathetic question isn't it?
Old 16 June 2003, 10:45 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i did it

i phoned around a number of dealerships seeing if they were interested.

i got my tax back.

they paid no bad money for it...
Old 16 June 2003, 10:47 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When did you do that?

I'm just asking, cause the market is pathetic, so I was thinking that dealers might not be interested in buying

But cheers, I'll get phoning around tommorow. It has to be worth a shot
Old 16 June 2003, 11:25 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i did it about 2 months ago...
i agree.. the market is dead...
i thought... take the loss and get it sold...

Old 16 June 2003, 11:27 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i think that dealers are shifting classic scoobs easy enough
Old 17 June 2003, 07:33 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I sold a 6month old bugeye back to a dealer..cost me 30% depreciation, bought an Audi instead as I hated the bugeye. I recently tried selling my 2 month old STI8PPP back..they bid £21k...so 22% loss in 2 months....I've decided to keep the car a while longer.
I really have to be more carefull about what I buy in future
Chuck
Old 17 June 2003, 10:05 AM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

depreciation is always a killer on new cars.. as soon as you drive off the forecourt you can feel your wallet skip a beat... You need to keep your cars longer...
Old 18 June 2003, 09:13 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Locally I've found the resale values on the MY01,02 took a serious knock (esp. the WRX) when the MY03 was launched. Classic shape have also dropped back some.
Old 18 June 2003, 09:35 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

What about selling it at auction?
Old 18 June 2003, 09:48 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auction should be your last resort unless you're desperate to get some cash. I've been too a few auctions in Glasgow/Edinburgh and cars go for peanuts as they're snapped up by Trade.

Have you tried dropping your asking price by £500 to see if that will kickstart things. I tried to sell my old Golf GTi about 4 years agao and it took me months. I looked up Parkers (and all the other so-called expert) price for a 2nd-hand GTi. 1995M, 36K, FSH, two-owners, absolutely immaculate, yada, yada, yada. Anway, they all reckoned £6K for A1 and since mine had very low milage I asked for £5995. Anyway, eventually sold her for £4,700 to a guy from Newcastle. I had absolutely **** all response and as soon as I stuck it up for £4,895 I had at least a half-dozen serious interests.

The market maybe dead, but any car will sell if the price is low enough.

I'd try the Dealer as it's an easy option if they give you a decent price. If it's financed, they'll have to work out the costs for clearing the outstanding finance, so check if there are any early settlement fees, transfer of ownership fees, etc.. If you own it outright, then it's much more straightforward and they maybe much happier to take it off your hands.

Stefan
Old 18 June 2003, 10:17 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Back in the 'good old days' (1998) I sold my Impreza back to Bell & Colvill, and they gave me a good price for it.

I spoke to a Jag dealer about the possibility of them buying my X-Type from me - they were happy to do it, but the price was pretty crap (about 2-3k below list). It's a last resort, but at least it's there.

[Edited by MarkO - 6/18/2003 10:20:22 AM]
Old 18 June 2003, 10:31 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Crush! what are you getting next?
Old 18 June 2003, 10:36 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sold my MY00 in March last year back to a dealer and it was a bit more hassle than I thought it would be.

Bought the car brand new from Bell & Colvill and phoned all of the local dealers to see how much they would offer me for it. They all said they would phone me back with a price but not a single one of them even had the courtesy to phone me back, even to say no thanks. The only dealer I could find who was interested was in East Sussex about 65 miles away. Bear in mind this was an immaculate standard car with 17K on the clock so I dread to think how hard it is to get rid of cars that are a bit tatty or have had mods.

Took it down to them, they had a quick look at it, started the engine for 10 seconds and offered me £12,500 for it. After about 10 minutes of negotiation I had managed to get them up to £12,650 but that was it. As they were the only dealer interested in buying it I let them have it. I even had to give them £500 to take it off my hands as I still owed more than that on the finance.

They settled the finance on my behalf but I would never let a dealer do that again. A week after I sold it I phoned IM finance to see if it had been cleared and they said they hadn't received a thing. Phoned them every few days and nothing, even thought the dealer swore they had paid it. Went down to the dealer and they gave me a letter signed by the manager saying they had paid it. A week later still nothing and as you can imagine by this point I was starting to sweat a bit as I had given them the car and £500 and still had over 13K of finance in my name. The day before the next payment was due they had finally settled the finance.

Anyway they had it on the forecort for £16,495... They told me that because it didn't have aircon they would have to put it in just to get anyone to look at the car. Surprisingly enough they didn't bother and sold it within 6 weeks.

Still I was very glad to get shot of it!
Old 18 June 2003, 10:47 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

They settled the finance on my behalf but I would never let a dealer do that again. A week after I sold it I phoned IM finance to see if it had been cleared and they said they hadn't received a thing. Phoned them every few days and nothing, even thought the dealer swore they had paid it.
B&C have a bad record for this. I cancelled the DD a couple of months after selling my Scoob back to them, having been told they'd clear the finance. 3 weeks later a telegram from IM Finance telling me that because I'd defaulted for 3 months running, and hadn't contacted them, I had to clear the whole finance within 7 days or have the car repossessed!

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy, and went ballistic at B&C. IM Finance were very understanding, but I was extremely angry at the potential damage my credit rating could have taken. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

However, Bobby Bell sorted it out and arranged for me to get a free set of S02s, 2 cases of wine, and a bouquet of flowers for my wife (who almost had a heart attack, 'cos she was the one who received the telegram) to make up for it.

Got a letter a couple of weeks later from the DVLA notifiying me that my car was being re-registered and asking if I'd sold it. Turned out B&C hadn't sent off the V5 docs either.
Old 18 June 2003, 10:56 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

MarkO,

After reading that I am pretty glad that B&C didn't want to buy the car from me as I don't think I could have stood the stress! I think the only reason the dealer I sold mine to settled the finance within the month was because I kept hassling them every couple of days asking them why it hadn't been settled.

Have to say I am not that surprised about B&C though, After they overcharged me £50 on the 7500 mile service (refunded when I filled in their service questionaire telling them what I thought of them) and put some nice big scratches on the car while washing it I wouldn't even consider buying a car from them again. I got the impression that they only wanted to sell Elises and that subaru's were a bit of a nuisence really even though they probably bought in most of the revenue.
Old 18 June 2003, 08:41 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Well, I went to a dealer which sounded interested today. I got there, and they told me to **** off, and it was only worth 3,800 to them

I have a few more to try, so it looks like I'll have to take what I get, cause I'm **** out of luck with everything lately

Drac Hopefully a Pug 205 1.6 GTi But if I get a **** price for the ford, I might not be able to afford one
Old 18 June 2003, 09:18 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Do they do 205's in peppermint? you may be out of luck there.

What about a golf mk2 gti? (16v or 8v, both great) or a 205 1.9

Whatever you get, budget the cost of the respray in you 'own' tried and trusted colour
Old 18 June 2003, 09:22 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

My thoughts exactly

Although it could be that damn colour that's caused all the bad luck

But I've had a Golf before, so I don't want another. 1.9 will cost to much to Insure & Fill up. The 1.6 seems to be just right, so we'll see how things go
Old 18 June 2003, 09:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Crush,
When I had my Mondy ST24 I sold it back to the same dealer I got it from. Let's say it would have been more pleasant to rip myself a new hole. Lost a total ton of money and the sales chap had for some bizzare reason turned from the nice chap he was when i purchased the car, to a complete arsehole, funny that.

I do know how you feel, I really do, selling the hearse was not an easy task, and took longer than I expected, but it's done now.
Old 18 June 2003, 09:33 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Can you offer it to the dealer to sell on your behalf?

I was offered an abysmal price for my car recently but dealer then said "I can give you £3k more if I sell it for you and only pay out once its sold". He sold it within a week and gave me the full amount 10 days from when I dropped it on his forecourt.

Only works if you are prepared to wait AND you trust the dealer!

Other option is big advert in local paper stating that it will go to the best offer received by a certain time?
Old 18 June 2003, 09:58 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Crapaud, I really want rid of it quickly, so I think as Markus said, I'm gonna have to cut my losses and accept a pathetic amount for it

It'll be another lesson learnt. However, If I still had the Impreza, I'd be even worse off now So it isn't all bad i guess
Old 18 June 2003, 10:37 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

Park it next to a Subaru dealers with a great big for sale sign in the front with the price 1500 notes below what they're selling an equivalent model for... Should get some interest..
Old 18 June 2003, 11:24 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Markus

Unfortunetly as soon as you buy a new car you loose 17.5% VAT plus dealer margin and back end bonuses which equate to near on 30% sometimes

I used to work in and help run some Dealerships up to last year and the Sales side of things can struggle compared to how it used to be (before the so called price reductions). With price increases in Parts and Servicing they now retain the profit overall.

If they cant give you the money you need returned it might be worth asking if they will do a sale or return on your behalf. Just a thought....

Nath
Old 19 June 2003, 10:35 AM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

How much you looking for it and have you put it in autotrader if its cheap enough I will buy it then sell it in top marques or the autotrader for a few pounds profit.