Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pond Ideas Please

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 10:01 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We have moved house recently and want to build a pond to house our mixed shoal of around 60/70 Koi, Ghosties, Shubunkins, Orfe, Tench etc which came with us and are currently housed in a large filtered holding tank which I built. We built the pond at our previous house so know the basics but I need ideas for a new shape and style. Ideally some piccies posted (or please send to me directly) so I can nick some ideas. Broad need is for irregular shaped lined pond with liner hidden, paving over-hanging edge. About 5 metres x 3 metres (1.2m deep) with shallow shelf for marginal plants in baskets. Will probably use submersible with overground gravity filter system (which I have). The garden is basically a flat lawn with close-boarded fencing surround.
Anyone built/designed something similar and what are pitfalls? Do I use spoil for rockery and waterfall or will this just look too obvious? How do I hide filter box? If it's an irregular shape what sort of paving should I use (not much of a do-it-yourselfer, more a ****-it-up-yourselfer). Thanks for any input folks. David
Old 17 June 2003, 10:50 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

I have just laid the base for a pond, the odd shaped jobbie on the left will be a brick built pond, probly about 1 metre high from the slab.

the large area at the back is a raised patio, the small area between the pond and the patio will be dug out,levelled and concreted to form a chamber for the pump/UV etc, a dwarf wall will be built along the enge of the patio to form this chamber, I'll then construct some kind if hinge open lid for the chamber, this will also double as seating for sumer p1ss ups

Like you I fancy the idea of an undergravel unit, I will probly create something from plastic pipe, with a common rail ( near to chamber) and the runners going the length of the pond from the rail. Along the length of the runners ( probly 4 off )I will drill holes that increase in size as they near the end of the runer to try and keep the suction equal along the length, the ends of he runners will be capped off, the pump will connect to the common rail in the middle, this will then be piped off to the chabber where the pump will be sat along with the UV.

I will then create some kind of filter medium over the top of the plastic pipework, starting with larger stones, then decreasing them in size as it goes higher, I may need to put in some stainless/plastic mesh prior to the final layer of gravel to stop the fish burrowing too much.
I prefer the idea of undergravel filtration, as it always worked best in my tropical tank, I imagine the same principles apply with ponds.

All the above will sit on top of a liner, as for shelves etc, rather than try and form a liner around odd shapes within the pond, I will probably just sit the plants in pots on layers of stone built up on top of the gravel bed.

here you go:

As it develops I'll post some pics.

[Edited by mj - 6/17/2003 11:12:58 AM]
Old 17 June 2003, 10:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks mj, a good start but piccie didn't open? Can u mail me direct with it (david@broquet.co.uk) if not too much trouble. D
Old 17 June 2003, 11:13 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

can you see that?
Old 17 June 2003, 11:35 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, loud and clear - thanks. Is that Alan Titchmarsh lurking in bushes?