Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Laser Eye Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2003, 10:37 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can I ask for opinions on this subject. It's for one of the guys in IT who is thinking of getting it done. He is short-sighted btw.
what are costs like, any problems ect...peoples experiences.

cheers

shunty
Old 23 June 2003, 10:47 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think it's about a grand (or more) per eye. Basically, IIRC they slit your cornea, fold it back, use the laser to burn away part of the retina, and then pop the cornea back.

There was a big hoo-hah a while back because a lot of places (including ones you'd expect to be reputable, like Boots) were screwing up a large percentage of peoples' eyes. A quick Google will bring up some pages about it.

Personally, I'd shy away from it unless you're very short-sighted - and even then I'd be tempted to go for daily contact lenses in preference. I'm sure it'd be brilliant if it worked, but even if the risk factor's only about 10% of it screwing up your eyes permanently, that's far too scary for me.
Old 23 June 2003, 10:55 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

A friend of MrsREV's attended an opthalmologists conference where laser surgery was being discussed. All of the speakers wore glasses...
Old 23 June 2003, 11:06 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

"I think it's about a grand (or more) per eye. Basically, IIRC they slit your cornea, fold it back, use the laser to burn away part of the retina, and then pop the cornea back."

glad it's not me getting it done MarkO

"A friend of MrsREV's attended an opthalmologists conference where laser surgery was being discussed. All of the speakers wore glasses..."

point taken NotoriousRev

I did a search after posting this & found a useful thread from earlier on in the month.

shunty
Old 23 June 2003, 11:35 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Chap at my work had it done at boots - worked perfectly, no problems so far.. had it done nearly a year ago..
Old 23 June 2003, 12:21 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

From what I understand there are 2 types for short sighted people.

LASEK and LASIK

LASEK is cheaper, recommended for lower prescriptions (I think up to 3 dioptres) and involved cutting off a flap of eye, performing the surgery and then balancing the flap back in its hollow. Suction of the eye keeps it in. Recovery time is about 2 weeks before you can drive again.

LASIK is more expensive (around £795 per eye) and involves slicing most of a flap from the eye, peeling it back, performing the surgery and the flap rests back where it was. Because this is still attached to the eye, revovery time is about 2 days.

HTH.
Old 23 June 2003, 12:26 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

DopplepostingZ

[Edited by Mice_Elf - 23/06/2003 18:18:10]
Old 23 June 2003, 12:28 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Damn....TRIPLE post....

[Edited by Mice_Elf - 23/06/2003 18:17:41]
Old 23 June 2003, 05:16 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
run a search on this, there was a big thread a while back with lots of peoples experiences and 1 doctor I seem to remember
Old 23 June 2003, 05:18 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
run a search on this, there was a big thread a while back with lots of peoples experiences and 1 doctor I seem to remember
Old 23 June 2003, 09:33 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My wife and I had it done at Ultralase in Birmingham about 2 years ago - should have done it sooner. there are 2 types - Lasik and PRK. Lasik is the dearer process described above where they do peel back the top layer before they apply the laser. PRK they just burn. I thnk that's the way it worked.
All I can say is that neither of us had any problems then or since.
You can do worse than tell your colleague to go along for a free consultation.
Chris.
Old 23 June 2003, 09:38 PM
rawsy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had my LASIK treatment done at Ultralase in Leeds, over 3 years ago now. Perfect 20/20 vision eyesight, and no problems at all.

Cheers,

G
Old 23 June 2003, 09:42 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I work for an opticians

IMO i think as some have said ONLY get it done if very short sighted -10.00 & above

I am only short sighted @-2.00 so not that bad but i would not get it done just yet as it's still early days and the long term affects are not yet known.

I have been wearing contact lenses that you can SLEEP in for 30 days and they are exellent so i feel no need to have any surgery at this moment in time

You can get plastic lenses(HI-INDEX) that are VERY thin now 1.74 index these are very light and best for ALL high short sighted people.
Old 23 June 2003, 09:45 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

You only get one pair of eyes.
Old 23 June 2003, 09:51 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

As they say on the tin - it carries a risk, the same as with any surgury.

I had my two -3.75 sorted 9 months ago by accuvision

and so did my mate about 3 mths before.

She did all the research, I waited for her to confirm the results - both of us OK (at least the eyes are ).

If you want it (and after 20 years with glasses/contacts I did) then great - if not then great.

Now where can I get a boob job to go with the p*nis enlargement I hads last week ?
Old 23 June 2003, 10:04 PM
alansti7
Scooby Regular

I've been looking into this for a while - the guy I sit next to at work had laser treatment on his eyes about a year ago, and he's got perfect vision now.

Isn't there a newer laser treatment too, where they insert a small contact lense behind the "flap", instead of lasering away behind the flap?

Contact lenses that you can sleep in? Now that's interesting! How do you get on with those?

Old 23 June 2003, 10:52 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

The reason you can't sleep in most lenses is 'cos the eye's lense doesn't have its own oxygen supply, so has to get all it's oxygen from the air and from the blood vessels in the eyelids. Normal lenses don't let enough air through, hence your eyes go funny after long periods of wearing them.

The new 30-day lenses are supposed to allow more oxygen through, making them safe to wear for long periods. Personally, though, I'm not convinced - they're so new there can't have been any long-term clinical studies to show they don't cause any permanent damage. Nice idea though.
Old 23 June 2003, 11:01 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

The Day-Night lenses allow 7 time more oxygen into the eyes this allows you to sleep in them

As i work for the opticians i get my lenses for FREE but they are very good.

If you want to try them for FREE you can go to ANY Specsavers and have a FREE trial and then they will cost about £25 per month
Old 24 June 2003, 09:43 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

I'm short sighted and my father, who is a Consultant, has said he would arrange for me to have it done when it was in his opinion safe and the long term risks understood. Well I am 34 and still wear glasses.......

However there is a new procedure that has been developed at Moorfields Eye Hospital which is apparently looking very promising. I don't knowe the details but understand that the way it is done is very different to the older laser eye surgery and should (theoretically anyway) eliminate the long term risks such as scarring. At the moment you can only apply to have this surgery if your eyes have been mucked up by previous surgery but is going to become more widely available very soon.

Other advantage of this new procedure is the initial result is far better and many people are apparently ending up with 20/20 vision and in some cases beter than 20/20.

So I would say wait a bit longer and see how this new procedure develops.

Regards

Robin
Old 24 June 2003, 09:57 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Robin, is this the surgery that all the sports people are having to improve their low light and night vision ??
Old 24 June 2003, 10:02 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Off the top of my head I don't know.....

I will ask my old man if he knows though.

Robin