Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is crazy. Anyone else think so?
Old 24 June 2003, 09:00 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
I don't have kids so probably not as qualified to comment. But it never did me any harm when I was younger (honestly ) and I soon learnt not to be cheeky etc!
Old 24 June 2003, 09:01 AM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

my daughter was having a major league tantrum this weekend. Big time. Getting really worked up. When they are like this you can't reason with them, they are not listening

The only way we could calm her down was by giving her a short sharp slap across the back of the leg to 'shock' her out of it

goodness knows what would have happened otherwise. I see old fatty Clare Raynor is behind this. She should mind her own ****ing business, silly cow
Old 24 June 2003, 09:01 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

i think if children learn from the outset that if they do anything wrong then they will be smacked then it encourages then to be good.

Its just the same as modern day society where peoples wallets are attacked or they go to jail for being naughty. The fact is, there is no other way of punishing a child except not feeding it! but thats a stupid idea!!

Banning smacking is ludicrous
Old 24 June 2003, 09:05 AM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

what will be the punishment? this is also a consideration

Would you have nosy Guardian reading social workers round?
Old 24 June 2003, 09:11 AM
Dirk Diggler
Scooby Regular

A short sharp jab followed by a right hook seem to do me no halm.
Old 24 June 2003, 09:12 AM
bubblegum
Scooby Regular

Saw it this morning with my son, who procedes to then say parents cant smack kids anymore. I correct him and say its for child minders etc. A short while later he procedes to pour yoguht all over his siblings toys and then runs and hides. Could this possibly be related somehow? Obvious really isn't it. I wouldn't mind but I have never smacked him and so am confused by his behaviour over this.
You can just imagine what some tearaways will get upto if this is implemented and then the parents will get the blame and have to deal with the consequencies and all the while society will go tut tut bad parents. When in fact it could just be that the child is a bad person and no matter what the parents do, the childs choice to do wrong will still happen only they will now realise that they can do what they want and not be smacked. So child misbehaves and thinks you cant smack me when you punish them by grounding them, they just go out anyway ,you then decide to deprive them of an activity or toy, so what I will just nick it instead they think. The last line of punishment has been removed by the state and so kids start to run the roost. In Swedan IIRC they brought out that parents could not smack kids, after a short while this was soon reversed, I wonder why?
Old 24 June 2003, 09:12 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Spare the rod and spoil the child
Old 24 June 2003, 10:07 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The only reason this is happening is because of a few high profile, rare cases of kids dying or subjected to abuse(victoria climbe etc.) This legislation is not going to stop violent parents as they'll continue to do so as that's the type of people they are. All this legislation will do is criminalise parents all over the country. Parents have a hard enough job as it is without the nanny state that Labour is bringing about. How are parent supposed to discipline a misbehaving or unruly child? Children aren't adults and do not 'listen to reason' but do listen to a little sharp smack. All this legislation will do it create more misbehaving children who have never been disciplined.

The lunatics are running the asylum!

[Edited by Dracoro - 6/24/2003 10:10:51 AM]
Old 24 June 2003, 10:25 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Seems a bit similar to the stupid gun amnesties they keep having, it is only ever going to effect the law abiding members of society isn't it????????
Old 24 June 2003, 10:38 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I was in Tesco's yesterday and they had the usual bunch of parents who take their kids shopping just so they could shout at them.

There was this 1 woman who was shouting her head off at her 2 kids because they were doing what kids do and playing.

She was Fing and Blinding at them for no apparent reason and in the end took a real swing at both of them whilst standing at the till.

Her young lad was jumping up and down in pain, you could see it on his face that the slap he got really stung.

I don't agree with that at all, it boarders on abuse. Saying that I don't think smacking should be banned but there is a fine line between a smack and a beating.

I've brought up 2 kids and have smacked them both but only once or twice.

Treat your children with respect and teach them right from wrong then there should be no need to smack them, once they've learnt their place anyway
Old 24 June 2003, 11:10 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Well said RB170.
As a parent, make your own decision and stand by it.
Personally speaking, I have seen many people "slap" their children. Some I know, some I don't. None of the slaps was ever what I would call a "tap" and all of them were a "last resort" after warnings and raised voices.
Which means, generally, that light tap is a fair deal harder. And if the first slap doesn't work what then?

Ever watched programs about young offenders. Many said they were beaten regularly. Made no difference. Once the sting has gone 10 minutes later its forgotten.

find what your child likes. Really likes. Bad behaviour. Remove their privileges.

Old 24 June 2003, 07:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As ever the punishment should fit what the behaviour deserves. It also depends on the particular child just what is going to teach him right from wrong. It is absolute nonsense to forbid parents from chastising their children. It is up to the parents to decide what is necessary. If the Nanny State exponents don't believe that then they should try to stop those parents from having children! Lets see what kind of a furore that would start!

Its time these idiots were booted into touch, their ideosynchrasies are beginning to damage this country beyond repair.

Les
Old 24 June 2003, 08:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

WHAT? Ban smacking? totally outrageous!

First up, I am NOT a father, however, I was in a long term relationship with a lovely lady who did have children, so I do have some experience.

Smacking never hurt me, ok, so it *might* be responsible for my somewhat hardline view on discipline, ie; I'm not afraid to smack a child. My personal view is this:

Child does wrong, you smack child, child associates the 'wrong act' with pain, thus learns "if I do that again I will feel pain, which I do not like at all, so I won't do it again"

It is VERY subjective though, ie; what you consider 'wrong' sticking fingers in leccy outlet, or burping in public. It's obviously down to the parent to handle these things.

I do agree about the "fine line between a smack and a beating" there is a VERY VERY fine line. When I say smack, I mean with an open hand, and usually to the bottom, or backs of legs, and not too hard, I'm certainly not talking about a massive whack round the head, a smack with a belt or slipper, or a fist.

I think some of the moral decline we see today is due to lack of discipline from parents, and in part I put this down to teenage pregnancy. why? well, "kids" are basically having kids, and they still want to be "kids" ie; go out and have fun, and not look after thier children, they have not fully matured and thus when a child misbehaves it's easier to ignore them, hence the horrible youths we see today, total lack of disipline. Just an old fart's view

Thing is, if you ban smacking, how on earth do you disicpline your child?
Old 24 June 2003, 09:02 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

this all boils down to the ****ing tree huggers again, they have saved the whales the trees and got bored trying to save the earth, they need something else to do. Bloody do-gooders everywhere

nothing wrong with smacking as long as thats what it is, a smack.

kids need to know that a parents threat isnt an empty one, if you say " do that again and i will send you to your room" and they do it again they have to be sent to their room, otherwise why should they stop doing naughty things when you tell them to?
Old 24 June 2003, 09:34 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

When I was a boy I wasn't scared of my parents, I respected them.

That respect was earned from getting a slap when I was a bad boy-and I was bad on many occasions!

I'm 30 now, but my Mum is still a person I'd never swear in front of and I would never smoke in her company (before I quit) because I know she's against it.

It seems that many kids (not all) don't have respect for anyone. That must surely lay heavily on today's parents.

A whack on the **** helped make me the person I am now - I'm good now Honest.

Edited to say that it wasn't just the whacks I received that made me respect my folks!

[Edited by fatherpierre - 6/24/2003 9:39:58 PM]
Old 24 June 2003, 10:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The prodigy said it best, 'Smack my titch up, Smack my titch up'.......
Old 25 June 2003, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't disagree with that Fatherpierre, exactly the same with my parents.

Les
Old 25 June 2003, 01:05 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Rubbish. That's what's wrong, the kids think they can get away with murder.

The local bobby should be able to give you a clip round the ear and drag you by that ear to your parents who can give you a damn good spanking so you learn what's right and wrong.

Feckin bleeding-heart hippie do-(no)-gooders [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Sign the little ******* into the Army cadets at the earliest possible age so they are forced to learn discipline. Maybe we shoudl introduce compulsory national service forthe unwashed...
Old 25 June 2003, 08:15 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

and while we`re at it bring back corporal punishment in schools too.
The cane
The slipper
The back of the hand

My wife`s a teacher & some of the parents tell their kids if they don`t behave they`ll bring them into school for my wife to sort them out. IT`S NOT HER JOB TO DISCIPLINE YOUR CHILD YOU STUPID PERSON, IT`S YOURS.
Remember when you were at school & the Teacher told your parents you`d been bad & you used to get a hiding at home too?