Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Putting reel to reel onto a CD?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2003, 03:06 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I transfer some old reel to reel recordings onto a CD or tape.If so how is it done.
Cheers

Chip.

[Edited by Chip - 7/6/2003 3:09:52 PM]
Old 06 July 2003, 03:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
For tape - any Tape recorder which has audio inputs will do the job. Phono or jack plugs, but Phono's are better.

Its just a case of connecting the audio output socket of your reel player to the inputs of the tape recorder. Select the audio source (i.e radio, CD, etc) normally this will be "AUX" and Press play on the reel player and Record on the tape recorder. You may have recording level controls, if so adjust so that the sound ins'nt too quiet or too distorted when you play back the recorded music.

for CD:-

You need either a stand-alone music Cd-writer. Which will have an audio inputs (expensive) recording will be a similar process to the above.

Or you need a computer with a CD-writer, and a decent sound card. Some live music recording software, and the cd-writing software

Then just plug in your reel 2 reel player to the audio input of the computer, set the software to record and store each track of music as seperate file on the hard disc, you can save as MP3 files if your cd-writing software can convert it to raw audio (saves space) but keep the quality setting above 192kbps.

after all the tracks you want are on the hard disk, you just run the cd-writing software and select "create music CD" and you should be able to drag and drop your recorded tracks.

Obviously I'm a bit vaigue here, as it depends on the software you have, but you should get the idea.

I'm quite proud I did'nt make any Reel 2 Reel jokes with "I like to move it" etc.

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/6/2003 3:30:50 PM]