Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

First time housebuyer. W Mids/Warwickshire

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 08:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug- That's going to be difficult with a 50k budget.

What about Acocks Green?

The thing is Dorridge is beautiful and so are the immediate areas, property prices are 10x plus the budget you have to play with.

[Edited by Spoon - 8/1/2003 8:49:06 PM]
Old 08 January 2003, 11:15 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Thanks Spoon

I realise that the immediate Dorridge area is not really an option (unless anyone knows of any undiscovered "up and coming" areas which may fit the bill ).

I've found terraced places in the Foleshill area of Coventry which fit the overall requirements of transport, garden and price, but I have no idea of what the area is like. (Price is right, but do you actually want to live there?)

I've no idea what Acocks Green is like, so we'll need to investigate. Thanks for the pointer.

Basically, I've found that the national estate agents (Your Move, Halifax, etc.,) don't have anything suitable, so I guess that we need to look at local agents who probably only have one branch and whose geographical area is fairly restricted. (and local newspapers). I'm really looking for suggestions as to the areas in which it's best to look.

All suggestions as to the areas to look at will be more than welcome.

Thanks for your input.

Doug

Edited to remove typos

[Edited by douglasb - 8/1/2003 11:20:30 PM]
Old 08 February 2003, 11:45 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Foleshill is 99% Asian populated and is about 20 miles to Dorridge and a real tough direction to travel in if commuting daily.

I would expect no public transport that way at all, so the journey would be by her/his vehicle only.

Tile Hill is nearer but again the "wrong side" as you immediately fall into countryside after this point and would need to travel about 9 miles.

Your best bet for daily access, unless they don't mind the above is to stick to the areas the Birmingham side of Dorridge.

Finding anywhere relatively near with 50k is going to be tough though.

If you want, e-mail me with pleasure, if I can help I will.

[Edited by Spoon - 8/2/2003 11:46:01 AM]
Old 01 August 2003, 08:41 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Question

Someone I know is looking at buying a house for the first time. The requirements as far as the area goes are that it should be convenient for Dorridge (assume a 10 mile radius). If this is by public transport, that is ideal, but (depending on location) driving is an acceptable second best. Public transport availability to Birmingham would also be good.

Budget is £50K. Only one bedroom is required. A garden is high on the list of priorities, so a one bedroom terrace with garden beats a 3 bed ex-council flat.

Web searches have turned up more of the latter, such as flats in Chelmsley Wood (no thank you).

I guess that driving around the area and visiting local estate agents is the answer, however are there any Scoobynetters with knowledge of property in that area who can advise what areas she should be looking in to find property that meets the requirements? That at least cuts the time and mileage down.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Doug
Old 01 August 2003, 11:53 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
50k is a tight budget

good luck - i know a few people in your situation - it stinks. supply and demand governs the price and we live in an over populated, undersized island.

Old 08 August 2003, 07:52 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I had a meeting at Aston Uni this morning and then needed to be at Brimingham Business Park this afternoon, so I drove out along the Coventry Road. Saw a sign for Acocks Green - 1 mile, so took a detour and stopped at the first Estate Agent I came to.

Her opinion is that lowest price around there is now pushing £80K. Two areas that she suggested might be worth looking at are Kitts Green and Northfield. Any thoughts/descriptions of these?

The other option (which I had already realised might be the answer from Web searches) may be co-ownership. Tends to get a "nicer" area but has the drawback of continuing rent payments even when the mortgage is paid off.

Anyway, I now have the latest Birmingham "Property News" so will take some time to go through that.

Meantime, any thoughts/ideas from anyone will be welcome.

Doug
Old 08 August 2003, 08:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It's the 50k bit Doug.

I have no experience of those 2 areas but I can only guess if Acocks Green homes start at 80k then they are going to compare to Beirut.