Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

More possible changes to number plate laws

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2003, 11:34 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVLA site with potential changes to number plates - including electronic tagging & tracking!

<url>http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consult/vrm_security/vrm_security.htm</url>

Oh crap, forgotten how to do clicky! Thought it was < url > without spaces? but that didn't work either!

[Edited by spider - 8/12/2003 11:35:06 AM]

[Edited by spider - 8/12/2003 11:39:50 AM]
Old 12 August 2003, 11:40 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Spider,

Changer the ( ) to [ ] for the link to work
Old 12 August 2003, 11:41 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Clicky
Old 12 August 2003, 12:43 PM
newbie_scoobie
Scooby Regular

Some good ideas I think...cost to implement - astronomical (esp with tagging plates etc..).
Maybe all not practical, but all logical and sound proposals.
But....
Why not impose stiffer sentences for our 'light-fingered' community members to act as a deterrent, instead of going for tecnocratic solutions.
Think the DVLA are missing the point here. Surely it is up to the police to 'police' properly and detect/prevent this sort of thing happening.
Social change seems to be the best way forward, and this can't be lead by the DVLA.
When TWOC'ers realise that their ***** will be cut off, and 'cut and shut merchants' realise they will be hanged in public squares and driven over by the death traps they have supplied, maybe things will change. Buggering about with number plates doesn't solve the real issues that bother us all on a daily basis.

Just MH2pW

Col
Old 12 August 2003, 01:45 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Nimbus, ST - ta muchly!

Col, agree with you that the approach is aimed incorrectly.

I didn't realise that number plate theft was 'any car, any plate' like it seems to suggest. If I was trying to clone a car, I'd get a plate off the same make and colour of car if poss. I guess not all crims think that far ahead though.

Bet there'd be a huge civil liberties stink with trackable plates - more cries of Big Bro and responses of 'nothing to fear if you've done nowt wrong'

Like the idea of cobbler removal for TWOCers though!

Steve
Old 12 August 2003, 03:08 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

always makes you laugh doesn't it?

they charge a huge premium or auction the numbers that DO look like words or names.. but then woe betide you should you actually want to represent the plate like it!! .. crazy!

as we are obviously a nation of funky plate lovers.. why not just operate a system like the ozzies, the swedes or some US states where you can just pick your own non offensive word and have that?.. be loads easier to remember eh?

ah well.. for now I will just have to rely on "strategic" number plate screws and naughty spacing!

all the best

trouser
Old 12 August 2003, 06:07 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

You'd get pulled in 2 seconds down Southend with your plate, Paul...!

I've seen people pulled for a plate that had a slightly different font for the lettering. All spaced and sized correctly, just looked nicer and had a flashy backgroud and could be read easily - if not easier than standard.

Shocking - as was said above, obviously a high priority... They nick us for our plates while our houses are burgled... CLASS!
Old 08 December 2003, 02:21 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

3.7 USE OF HYPHENS ON NUMBER PLATES
(i) The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 specify the typeface, the size, colouring and the British Standard that number plates must conform to. It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words in such a way that makes it difficult to read the registration number. It is also an offence for number plate suppliers to sell plates for use on a vehicle that show registration numbers that have been misrepresented in this way.

(ii) In order to further discourage this practice, it is suggested that a hyphen or hyphens could be placed in the registration number. An example is shown below, but alternative suggestions are welcome.

DG03-PJY

Because crime rates are so low- this clearly must be a high priority for the govt....mis spacing is such a terrible offence.

:rolleyes [/sarcasm]

[Edited by Freak - 8/12/2003 2:24:14 PM]