Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Chineham, Basingstoke - Any info/views on this area?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2003, 12:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided to rent for a few months whilst looking for a house as dont really want to buy in an area I dont know much about. Have been around a few places. Working in Reading, basically on j11 of the m4 so need to be north basingstoke for commute.

Been around Chineham and it seems a very nice area with some good amenities.

Anyone got any views good or bad on this part of Basingstoke?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 12 August 2003, 01:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Come on you Basingstoke lot - stop hiding

Simon.
Old 12 August 2003, 01:52 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Don't know the area myself, but one of my old bosses lived there in the late 90s and reckoned it was a good family place.

One thing I've noticed is that there's a damn great new building site going up on the A33 to Reading outside Chineham - might be worth a look, but I don't know build times.

Other thing is that if you're travelling up the A33 to Reading as a commuter you'll want a bike - traffic's supposed to be ****e in the mornings & evenings.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 12 August 2003, 02:35 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What do you want to know about the area (as a Basingstokian).
For the most past Chineham is like the posh-neck area of basingstoke (along with Hatch Warren)
Old 12 August 2003, 04:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im not sure which site you mean - there is one on a roundabout as you head north up the A33 from Chineham which looks like it will take a while. There is also a new one next to Tescos which already has people living there. Lovely houses but the cheapest is a 2 bed flat at £160,000 with only 1 parking space and no garden.

As for the commute. Its only 11 miles to work in Reading and most of the time I will need to be in work for 7am or 1pm so not a problem for me. If I need to be in for 9am I will jump on the mountain bike.

Was just wondering if there was anything obviously wrong with the area.

Simon.
Old 12 August 2003, 04:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yeah spotted the train line but its far enough away from most houses. It does look a nice area but thought Id ask for some local advice in case there was something glaringly wrong with it like an underground top security prison (ok Ive been watching too much 24).

Simon.
Old 12 August 2003, 05:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a good area - but BRAMLEY or Sherfield-on-Loddon is better in my opinion (and nearer to Reading!!) A33 is mad as hell rush-hour wise!!

Bramley is on train link to Reading - a better bet??

Pete
Old 12 August 2003, 05:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yeah been to Sherfield-on-Loddon. Very nice sitting at the pub (was it the White Hart?) next to the Cricket Green. Bramley is just a bit further west isnt it? Both nice areas but checking with estate agents there isnt much that comes up to buy let alone rent.

Drove to what I thought was Bramley went down a turning of the main road to an Army Training Camp - is that the right place? Nice tidy housing areas although looked a little cramped with not much parking space and quite a few cars.

Would of thought Bramley would be a similar commute time to Chineham.

Not working by the stadium - I will literally be on the M4 at junction 11. Think its called the Reading International Business Park.

I am 26 and the missus is 22 so am thinking Chineham is a bit better for our age range and interests.

Where do you live Pete? Does this mean I might be within a stones throw of the infamous pslewis?

Simon.
Old 12 August 2003, 10:47 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

The only fecking thing that is not so good is the to$$er that sits in his White van anywhere on the A33 between Reading and Basingjoke and Bramley area etc taking pictures of you [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Low life [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Apart from that it's a nice area Bramley's your best bet nice and quite

Huxley on Huxley Chicks PC

Old 12 August 2003, 11:11 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I bought a flat in Chineham a couple of years ago. Sale fell through though.

I used to live in Hook which is about 5 miles away and Chineham is the only part of Basingstoke I would have moved to.

It is quiet but very close to Popley (which incidently is called Popley 1, Popley 2 etc. I mean the very fact a place is called name/number puts me off )

Overall it's a good place, not many pubs though, it is expensive as it's very close to Basingstoke and Reading but far enough away to not be classed as part of Basingstoke which is a good thing. Basingstoke is going through something of a facelift. New town centre is prety good and they are building a lot of new flats.

Hatch warren is just a massive housing estate a few inches from the M3

Hope it helps.
Old 13 August 2003, 07:39 AM
Luke
BANNED

Brother lives there.... Sherfield park.It was a "Charles Church" development if I remember. Houses are nice. Good school in the middle.

But rumours of Naughty boys visiting with drugs and leaving with your TV getting worse... The little bunch of shops is a "Hang out"for the local NOva squad.

[Edited by Luke - 8/13/2003 8:11:01 PM]
Old 13 August 2003, 08:12 AM
Andy486
Scooby Regular

My sister lives on one of the new estates at the edge of Basingstoke and it seems nice enough. Mate used to work as a copper in the town centre and said it was quite rough. That was a while back though and there's a nice new shiny shopping centre now.
Old 13 August 2003, 12:54 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I live in oakridge, which used to be a large druggy/p*key/louts/hooligan hangout area, but since the renovations thats going on started and the flats are being pulled down the area is getting better.
Now all they need to do is sort out that fecking big tower block (which is an old peoples home - what a brilliant idea!! ). I lived in my council house all my life and 2 years ago took the bold step to buy it. with the discount I got a 4 bedroom semi w f/r gardens for £67K - latest estimate puts it at £130k+
Popley is bad m'kay.
Old 08 December 2003, 04:32 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Ok, not a bad area, there's a Tesco and chineham shopping centre there.
Nightowl Pharmacy and a few M&W style shops spread around + the Chineham Arms pub nearly walking distance from anywhere in chineham. Plus there's a community centre and a good dential practice there.
Very quite area, no real major roads (only the reading road, but there's no houses really by that road) but there is a train line (but I doubt your house will be near that), lots of trees.
Direct bus to basingstoke town centre.
My mate lives there and overall the condition of the houses are very good.

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 8/12/2003 4:33:35 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 05:00 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Chineham is a fairly recent estate, I think it's only about 20 years old and used to be a small village on the, then, outskirts of basingstoke.
As I said, it does have a tendancy to be a very 'posh' area, though not as posh as the Hatch Warren estate and it does seem to be very quiet. By all means ask around, just be prepared for a car/bus journey if going to town shopping (PS. I recommend parking by the Bounty cricket club and Art centre at the top of town, 2-4 hours fee parking and only 3-4 mins walking distance of the town)
Do you work on the trading estate around the stadium in reading? If thats a nice easy journey by car (as long as it's before 8:30 that is)

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 8/12/2003 5:01:24 PM]