Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

O2 XDA opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2003, 10:33 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking at getting one of these, I can't see anything comparable out there, (and there are LOADS of accessories) problem is, they are an O2 exclusive.

I'm currently on Voadafone (and have been for years) and have always had good coverage and very few problems.

I've seen unlocked XDA's on ebay, does anyone know if I could put my voda sim into an XDA and still obtain all the functionality/services of the XDA?

Or should I move across and port my number to O2?

Mike.
Old 14 August 2003, 11:03 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

what are you trying to do with it Mike. IMHO it's too big, hence I have a Sony Ericsson P800 and IPAQ pocketPC, which gives me the best of both worlds IMHO.

regards,

greg
Old 14 August 2003, 11:12 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Mike

www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=202274

I got one in the end - lasted 6 weeks before I sold it. It wasnt what I needed - I had no use for any of the Microsoft applications, although they were very good.

I primarily used it for access to the internet. Standard dial up was comparable with a 56K modem. GPRS was quicker but not as quick as say ADSL.

Problem was the cost! My first months bill was £354

So it went back in the box - shame you never mentioned this two weeks ago because i sold it for 150 quid

Hope this helps

ps can you fit the cage on Wednesday?
Old 14 August 2003, 11:36 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

£354.00 bl00dy hell!

(We can fit the cage Wednesday, please confirm if you want to go ahead).

I had looked at the P800 briefly but thought the XDA 'looked' nicer, had a car kit, Sat nav, hard case Etc.

Main reason was to save me having to carry a PDA (Palm VX) and a phone. I keep a fair amount of information with me (relative to my other business) and was trying to save having to take an A4 folder of paperwork with me everywhere I go.

All that paper based info is already in MS Access files, or Word files, which I suspect (?) should be compatible with software for the XDA? It's often impractical to lug all of that around with me.

I never managed to find a way/programme that would support/open Etc. MS access files to my VX but I know 'F all' about computer type stuff really.

Doubt I would use the internet access part extensively as I'm on ADSL at work and Cable at home so I hope that would (should) keep the bills sensible?

Also doubt I'd use the e.mail side much either for the very same reasons, it's mainly the combined practicality part that appeals?

Mike

Just to add, I spoke a couple of times recently to someone who has one and there was a DREADFUL echo on the phone, very loud and about a second or so behind actually speaking.... very confusing. He blamed this on reflections from the leather carrier that comes with the phone?

[Edited by Mike Tuckwood - 8/14/2003 11:44:27 AM]
Old 14 August 2003, 11:51 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

02 told me the car kit didnt exist

If you're going to use it as a phone alot then DON'T!
Reception is poor, its uncomfortable to use and the speaker phone is next to useless ie you cant use it as a speaker phone when it sits in the cradle because the mic gets covered

Poor design IMHO

Yes I will be up on Wednesday for the rollcage, can you fit the whole lot (feeling lazy)
Old 14 August 2003, 11:58 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

"D'oh!" Looks like I'll have to take a closer look at the P800 then; shame as it looked good on paper.

You're in the calender for Wednesday, We'll fit it all and show you how to remove and re-fit the removable bits.

Mike.
Old 14 August 2003, 12:05 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Muchos gracias Senor
Old 14 August 2003, 12:34 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Main reason was to save me having to carry a PDA (Palm VX) and a phone.

that was why I got the P800. Note you can't edit any word, excel docs on it out of the box. someone has a program out to edit spreadsheets at the moment.

you can also get a 128mb memory card from ebay for around £50.

Regards,

greg
Old 14 August 2003, 12:51 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Note you can't edit any word, excel docs on it out of the box.
That's OK then as I only need to refer to the files I would need to keep in those formats.

The files change regularly at work and would then get downloaded they could be 'read only' as long as I could get at them.

Mike.
Old 14 August 2003, 12:54 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Mike,
I have a Sony-E T610 (camera phone) and a Palm Tungsten T, this is a great combination as they are both small and offer the best of both worlds. IMHO there is not yet a really good combined PDA/phone as there always seems to be a compromise on one side or the other.

WRT the documents the there is a nice application on the Palm platofrm called Documents to Go which will synchronise documents between your PDS and PC 9or multiple PC's if you use more than one - as I do). You can modify the documents (word, excel etc) on the PDA or PC and it automatically updates the other to reflect the changes.

The phone has bluetooth and GPRS etc so can acccess the net or you can do SMS and so on from the PDA.

The Tungsten T is about £220 and the T610 about £200 so you wouldn't end up spending much more than a combined PDA/phone.

Cheers,
Darren.

PS - I have just bought a 256MB SD card off eBay for £50 (inc postage)

[Edited by dteagles - 8/14/2003 12:55:53 PM]