Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police officer smoking on duty??

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 09:03 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

.....and the local newspaper- then perhaps the chief constable will do his job properly.

In my experience of chief constables (limited to one Paul Whitehouse ex Sussex Police), he would have severely reprimanded the policeman in question for such an act of unprofessionalism.

edited due to finger trouble

[Edited by NACRO - 9/1/2003 9:04:08 AM]
Old 09 March 2003, 09:28 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

slasha

Come back when you have a ******* clue what you are talking about.

I am 33 and have probably seen more of the world and experienced more cultures and diverse situations than you think my friend.

And for your future information the reason I am "Not in the force yet" is because the recruitment process takes about 12 months so I suggest you research some facts before spouting your ill informed comments.

If you think that the police don't give a stuff then again I suggest that you do some research so that you have at least the slightest clue what you are on about before you open your mouth.

The force is seriously understaffed and if you take some time out of you obviously packed day to arrange to go and see your local station then you will see this.

I was out with my local force on a shadow shift on Sunday and there was only 3 available officers to patrol (Excluding custody Sgt, Desk Sgt, etc) for a population of in excess of 40,000 people.

Try thinking about your comment before making them and then you may come accross as slighty less of a fool.

[Edited by Badger Stuffer - 9/3/2003 9:30:33 AM]
Old 09 March 2003, 10:32 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

It seems that nobody has bothered answering Luke's original question.

Yes, police officers are allowed to smoke in uniform and on duty. They are not allowed to smoke in vehicles or in other designated non smoking areas. They are discouraged from smoking in areas where they can be seen by the public, but it is not contrary to regulations.

How do I know?

I asked the desk sergeant at my local nick. Then I asked another copper I bumped into last night while on a photo shoot. Then I asked another one this morning. None of these people were smoking themselves so they had no axe to grind and all gave the same answer.

Hope that helps.

SB

[Edited by Sbradley - 9/3/2003 10:39:24 AM]
Old 09 March 2003, 10:38 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

A few bad apples, give me a break, what other workforce is full of racists, conmen, paedofiles, drug abusers, drink drivers,pimps, thugs etc etc. Can't think of one can you?
Jesus. Any workforce of what, 110,000, that reflects (or is intended to reflect) all areas of society will have the "wrong sort" of people in it. Let's have a look at anything of the same sort of size, shall we?

The church.

The armed forces.

That's before we start looking at those paragons of virtue like big multi-national corporations.

Look at a cross section of criminals - anything you like - and you'll find as wide a range of professions as you can think of.

I respect your right to an opinion but please do the rest of us the courtesy of actually making a reasoned comment rather than spouting drivel.

SB (Getting off high horse.)

PS By the way I am not and have no desire to be a copper, although I have worked with them quite a lot in the past.

Edited to correct the (approximate)number of serving police officers

[Edited by Sbradley - 9/3/2003 10:50:37 AM]
Old 09 March 2003, 11:02 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

Unhappy

All

On the point of weirdo's in the Army, which is the only uniformed service on which I am qualified to speak.
During the selection process there is a high degree of pyschological and pyschometric testing, this weeds out a high number of " weirdo's ". Then in your two stages of basic training some more of the " weirdo's " are identified and failed.
Now this will leave a small residue of "weirdo's" that have slipped through the process. The days when the courts gave criminals the choice of prison or the Army went out of the window with gas street lights and handsome cabs
Now compare this with say a large town that has the same adult population count as the Army. There will be a much higher percentage of "weirdo's" in the town than in the Army.
I know plenty of Light Ale Cavaliers who failed to get into the Army or the other services because the failed psych.
I have a friend at the moment who is going through the police selection process in South Wales and it it as equally as tough and stringent as any of the Armed Services if not more so.
The only place where there is a high percentage of "weirdo's" is in the rank and file of the Security Guards of this nation.
So all who have never taken part in, let alone passed any such testing and god forbid have joined the Armed services or Police please **** off and find out what the hell they are talking about

[Edited by daiscooby - 9/3/2003 11:07:13 AM]
Old 09 March 2003, 10:42 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Luke:
Finchley last week. 2 x officers pull up in van in full uniform. The driver smoking. Gets out and walk into police station still smoking.

Thought this was a no no??? Got a great shot of him standing o the steps of the station!!
Sbradley:
Yes, police officers are allowed to smoke in uniform and on duty. They are not allowed to smoke in vehicles or in other designated non smoking areas. They are discouraged from smoking in areas where they can be seen by the public, but it is not contrary to regulations.

How do I know?

I asked the desk sergeant at my local nick. Then I asked another copper I bumped into last night while on a photo shoot. Then I asked another one this morning. None of these people were smoking themselves so they had no axe to grind and all gave the same answer.

Hope that helps.
SB

thanks. thats roughly what I thought.
Luke you are a strange kind of fella and then some....

[Edited by andrewdelvard - 9/3/2003 10:42:52 PM]
Old 01 September 2003, 08:26 AM
Luke
BANNED

Finchley last week. 2 x officers pull up in van in full uniform. The driver smoking. Gets out and walk into police station still smoking.

Thought this was a no no??? Got a great shot of him standing o the steps of the station!!
Old 01 September 2003, 08:34 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Do you work for The Sun?
Old 01 September 2003, 08:38 AM
Luke
BANNED

Cool

Not in my heart to do that..also could be well stupid. But he might like the photo and want to buy it of me???????(!!)
Old 01 September 2003, 08:51 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Smile

Send it to the chief constable.
Old 01 September 2003, 08:54 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Who (if he is like our chief constable) will do nothing about it

To be fair if a Police man/woman is a smoker I don't see the problem with them lighting up while on duty as long as they are not actually dealing with someone at the time.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:12 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used to smoke in the cars/vans when on nights or if it was quiet. As long as supervision didn't catch you

TONY
Old 01 September 2003, 09:16 AM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Luke, I bet you sit and look out of your front window from behind net curtains with a little notepad and pencil making notes about your neighbours too don't you.......MUPPET !

So what if he smokes outside the police station, and as for taking a photo of him doing it.......GET A LIFE PAL !

and.........

.....put that *** out constable.

L O L.......

Skoosh.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:20 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sets a good example for kids doesn't it.

send a copy of the picture to the station.

Old 01 September 2003, 09:35 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs up

Or better yet run up a bunch of copies and stick them up on lamposts around the area with a few choice comments attached.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:28 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

"Sets a good examples for kids doesnt it?" Wtf - how about every kids whose both parents smoke 20 a day, every day in front of them - get a grip on reality.

Simon.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:41 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you've spotted someone you dont know doing something you dont like and you think you may be able to get him in trouble...is that the point of this?

is this something you do all the time? when shopping do you make sure the till girls dont sneak a chat to their mate on the next till?

as for writting to his boss????? what on earth? why? if you do i hope you get nicked for wasting pen and ink.

T
Old 01 September 2003, 12:12 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Red face

About a year ago i stopped at my local shell station, filled up and payed. apparently just before i got there someone had just done a runner after filling up. so as i was leaving the shop the cops pull in to take down the details, they pulled up on the other side of the same pump to me. Driver gets out - cig in hand takes drags of it as they cross over the fore court and into the shop!

Old 01 September 2003, 12:19 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

In the old days, policemen used to be able to park diagonally across the pavement in their Ford Granadas, light up two Regal king size, have a brief conversation, throw the barely-started **** out of the open window and screech off to their next assignment! And that was considered to be entertainment!!
Old 01 September 2003, 12:26 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Bring back beatings in the cells too!
Old 01 September 2003, 12:29 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "you've spotted someone you dont know doing something you dont like and you think you may be able to get him in trouble...is that the point of this?"

This isn't just someone- it's a police officer or in other words a public servant who should have the highest standards of probity and professionalism. Smoking on duty isn't part of that. As a taxpayer that makes me an interested party, in fact you could say I'm their boss. Personally if it was me I'd go in myself and complain about it.
Old 01 September 2003, 12:32 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't give a ****.
Old 01 September 2003, 12:33 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Question

No, really - Do you think they will GAS what you say about this?

Damian
Old 01 September 2003, 12:35 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Quote: "No, really - Do you think they will GAS what you say about this"

Find out and report it, better yet send some pics to the local paper along with a letter about falling standards etc. Try and pick a slow news day and I'm sure they'd run it, after all the press love to hammer the Police.
Old 01 September 2003, 12:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Question

Is smoking on duty actually prohibited for policemen?
Old 01 September 2003, 12:42 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe the said Police officer had just returned from a particularly traumatic RTA in which he whitness a couple of bodys and also had to supply mouth to mouth to someone. In this case the bloke could be forgiven??????????
On the other hand he just fancied a *** - so!!!!!!
Old 01 September 2003, 12:44 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

On balance I care more about the shade of toilet paper I use.
Old 01 September 2003, 12:45 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

at a petrol station it is!
Old 01 September 2003, 12:46 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nacro - you are an angry man !
Old 01 September 2003, 12:49 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "Maybe the said Police officer had just returned from a particularly traumatic RTA in which he whitness a couple of bodys and also had to supply mouth to mouth to someone. In this case the bloke could be forgiven??????????
On the other hand he just fancied a *** - so!!!!!! "

It doesn't matter what he had been doing, personally I'd take every opportunity to stick one on the police as so many of them just LOVE to do that themselves.

I base this on yrs of experience working with them- they love nothing better than to slam people with the rule book. Then cry like bitches when the same is done to them. Justice is a two way street. I'd say it's public spirited to report the police for this type of matter. Perhaps there are no rules on it for this particular force? If there are then I'm sure that reporting the matter is the responsible thing to do. After all they wouldn't want to be seen getting away with breaking the rules would they?

Quick Reply: Police officer smoking on duty??