Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tropical fish...

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 09:59 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Tiggs - still an animal lover then? LOL Told you mate, bath the rats weekly with proper rat shampoo.

Yeah the Lake Malawis are beautiful, and yes they are unique cichlids. Currently got Blue Dolphines (something Morii) and figure of 8 puffers, plus tiger barbs in a smaller tank while i get the 300 up and running. The tiger barbs will stay in the small tank. The 300 has corel sand + lots of ocean rock, and will have more ocean rock soon. Running a 404 filter + the jewell internal to keep things well filtered.

I've found nitra-zorb best if aglae becomes a problem, plus some bottom feeders, such as brisle nose catfish (form of plec). Also, Nutrafin's Cycle seems to help stablise things or get things up and running faster.

I've just got rid of the Vision 180 tank, as it was too small for the Blues, plus I wanted to create a specific environment for the Malawis.

Our place is not far off being a zoo... 1 cat, 2 rats, tropical fish and 9 fish in the pond.. Hopefully it will mean I don't get forced into have a kid anytime soon!

Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 9/1/2003 10:04:41 AM]
Old 09 January 2003, 10:31 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

We have a purpose built 4' by 2' by 2' tank with lights on timers (daylight, growlight, moonlight) and a mixture of coral gravel and sand with lots of mopani wood/ rocks. Double heaters, massive external filter (Fluval 400, designed for a tank twice as big) and four air pumps. We've kept fish for years and currently have two other tanks running with more normal fish and a 3 ft tank on standby in the garage.

We have 5 cichlids in there (ranging from a 6 inch hornet cichlid down to a couple of 'normal' malawis), various botias, plecs, shark, south american catfish (who swims all the time and is growing alarmingly!).

Trick is not to have too may cichlids in (ours is at the limit) as they're very territorial and delight in moving stuff round the tank (ours can shift an icecream tub full of sand and gravel in a day). Plenty of hiding places, over filtration and plenty of aeration are key. IMO people change the water too often - we change about 1/3 of our tank every 3 months or so (after leaving new water to stand for a week or so before introducing it slowly with a slow feed pond pump).

No point in introducing smaller 'pretty' fish such as tetras, guppies etc - the cichlids just see them as live food. We rescued the hornet cichlid as he was clearly not being looked after properly in a fish shop - stupidly we didn't research it until we got home. It is one of the few fish you can keep with piranahs and can hold its own. Needless to say he is not only in charge of the tank but 'owns' about a quarter of it where he only allows a small blue cichlid and a striped botia to go anywhere near. Very entertaining.

Gordo

[Edited by Gordo - 9/1/2003 10:33:08 AM]
Old 09 January 2003, 11:39 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

b2z - i suppose it depends on what type of fish they are. some need higher levels of oxygen than others. gas exchange occurs at the surface of the water even with no current or bubbles, and usually this would be enough for the fish to survive 12 hours or so. One time one of the filter hoses came undone and syphoned all except an inch or so of water from one of my tanks. it was like this all day, and the filter of course burnt out. all the fish managed to survive in the remaining inch or so of water. I remember I had a big angel fish at the time, who was having to flap about on his side as there wasn't enough water for him to get upright. i slowly introduced more water and everything got back to nomal. never did find out where those missing 20 gallons went; i was living on the 1st floor at the time

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 9/1/2003 11:39:29 AM]
Old 09 February 2003, 10:31 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So many replies, where to start..

Karl - Something I found that sorts algae (due to high nitrate levels amonst other things) is Nitra-Zorb, its pack you put in your filter between some of the media - worked a treat on my 180.

David - yep, the one in West Horsley and the one in Woking dependant on what I require - I know the staff/management quite well now in both, having set up three tanks in as many months now, plus a small pond (500ltr) + water fall in the garden. They seem to be a lot better than most places cos the guys that work there are all into the hobby and have a lot of good advice to give (well so far). Your lake sounds great, I know someone with a similar set-up, may be slightly bigger, with an island in the middle and a bridge, he sits on the island and feeds the koi whilst having a beer, very relaxing apparently.

Dougster - Thanks LOL

Mickle - those crabs are cool, seen a few in the shop, but don't think they will work with the proposed fish I will be putting in.

Bravo - there are certain plants the fish won't eat, I asked for advice on this, and have found the fish leave them alone.. although the puffers seem to substitue their diet a little by biting little circles out of one of the plants.

[Edited by DrEvil - 9/2/2003 11:00:19 AM]
Old 01 September 2003, 09:12 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone else on here keep these?

Just set-up a Jewel Rio 300, took 1 hour to fill the b&gger!

Alex
Old 01 September 2003, 09:20 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

I kept them for years up until the thermostatic heater lost all its thermostatic qualities whilst I was away on business. Result - boiled fish and the disgusting smell. Now just got the ones in the pond outside

TONY
Old 01 September 2003, 09:23 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Tony,

A guy two doors down from me had exactly the same problem. I hope I don't experience that.

The only issue I had was a very very angry other half, I don't think she was expecting the tank to be as big as it was (121cm x 51cm x 62cm)!

She's calmed down a bit, as I agreed to go with the lake Malawi (sp!) fish.

Alex
Old 01 September 2003, 09:28 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I got a 125 Jewel tank in February. Had no problems at all. Just change the top filter every week, and about 1/4 of the water every other week or so.

I've got four of these funny buggers that skulk around the bottom of the tank.

Got a couple of Angel's, neon's and er, some others.

Nice to watch with a glass of Bush Mills in yer' hand
Old 01 September 2003, 09:32 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Alex

Malawi's are beautiful fish, you just need to make sure you have lots of rocks etc. in the tank.

TONY
Old 01 September 2003, 09:36 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol- someone should write a book on things that people buy and then realise the hassle of ownership is 100000 times greater than the pleasure...it might save ppl making the same mistake.

fishtanks would be right up there! (followed by rats!)

T
Old 01 September 2003, 09:46 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Lake Malawi fish... are they the unique cichlids? Don't know much about tropical fish, but those particular ones are interesting from an evolutionary point of view.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:51 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

bravo.....i managed to trick my parents into looking after the rats while i was away for the weekend.....and i havent taken them back! the kids...who were deperate for rats in the begining....couldnt care less than the evil critters are shut in a my parents garage and nor do i!!!! (its actually quite nice in there before anyone start)

i would LOVE to get another fish tank but i know i would get pissed off with it after 6 months.

T
Old 01 September 2003, 09:54 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

when i was a kid i had about half a dozen aquariums. i didn't find them that much hassle to keep. Once you get a bit of plant life growing, and your biological filters are full of bacteria, all they need is a few gallons of water changing every week, and the filters mucked out every month or so. I would like to get a tank now, but i'm not sure if the flaky joists in our house could take the weight.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:02 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Any advice on the Malawi's or Tanga-watchama-callems?
Old 01 September 2003, 10:19 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

you have figure 8 puffers and tigger barbs in the same tank !!!.

how many and how big are the barbs ??.

Watch out for the puffer when mature if they nip any of the other fish they will kill them.

and the barbs can be aggresive in some environments and numbers.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:13 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

b2z - if you keep stocking levels reasonable then your fish should be able to survive a prolonged power cut. If they are totally dependant on filtration and aeration to survive for a few hours, then your stocking levels are too high.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:30 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Bravo - I know what you mean, I guess I may be that way inclined after a while, depends on how it goes - I only had the Vision180 tank for 3 months prior to this one, but it didn't seem a lot of work, hence the new one.

Pbee - yeah I know its a risk with the puffers and tiger barbs, but they seem to leave each other alone (they were in the 180 before).

Gordo - thanks for that info, I'll bare that in mind.

I've found the guys at Maidenhead Aquatics (Guildford branch) very helpful and seem to know their stuff - some of the display set-ups they have are amazing!

Alex
Old 01 September 2003, 11:44 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

ProperCharlie - LOL I dread to think.. must of been a bit damp in the ground floor flat!..

I've managed to dislodge the filter seal on the last set-up, took me a while to dry out the floor after that episode!
Old 01 September 2003, 11:50 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

So you got the Puffers then!

Hang on I'm a bit confused does this mean you have changed tanks since I last saw it?
Old 01 September 2003, 12:53 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

MATTeL - yes it does mate, the 180 you saw has been replaced by the 300ltr flat front version... which is now in the front room cos it won't fit in the dinning room! its 4ft wide

Also, taken a lot of fish back to shop, part-ex'ing them against the new fish.
Old 01 September 2003, 01:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a curved front Jewel 260 for a couple of months now. Really pleased. Have a few Lake Malawi cichlids who are the bosses along with some barbs, some catfish to clean up and a nice Xebra plec. All seem to get on well. A couple of clown loaches who are great fun as they lie upside down and look dead when they are actually just having a kip. All fond of cucumber! Also another 141 fish outside in pond!! D
Old 01 September 2003, 01:19 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Oh dear God!

You stop playing with the car and then start modding the tanks!

So what happened with the other tank? I liked that one!
Old 01 September 2003, 01:41 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David - 141 in a pond - thats no pond thats a lake surely!
I toyed with the idea of getting the V260, but it would have cost me more than the Rio 300. Still prefer the curve fronts of the Vision version like your though.

MATTeL - the old tank has been sold mate.
Old 01 September 2003, 01:48 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

just make sure that Squeak doesn't put you into the tank to sleep with the fishes once and for al
Old 01 September 2003, 01:50 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Anna - she was close to doing that on Friday night when she saw it!

Quick Reply: Tropical fish...