Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO - Parents of children at private nursery.

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 08:55 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Some opinions please.

My daughter is 27 months and attends a local private nursery 3 days a week, which is part of a national chain. We are very happy with the education she receives, and she seems content with attnding.

The nursery has some rules and regs to follow, some of which are legal responsibilities, others are their own. For example if my daughter has an accident, it gets recorded in a book and I have to sign it.

However......on Sunday, she was "helping" me tidy up the garage, and managed to scratch her face on a cardboard box. The skin was not broken, in fact it has disappeared today. There were no tears, and it didnt seem to bother her. She attended nursery as normal yesterday, but this morning I was asked to sign an "External injuries" form recording that she attended nursery with a scratch. I was told this is a new procedure to protect the nursery.

I'm sure there is nothing sinister in it, however my daughter is an adventurous child and is always in bumps and scrapes. I dont want to limit the activities she gets involved in for fear of injury, but on the other hand I'm not particularly keen on a record of bumps and bruises being kept by an independent organisation.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Old 09 September 2003, 08:58 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I would imagine it's more to cover their backs so you don't turn round and sue them for negligence. You could walk your daughter down to the doctors show them the scratch and then claim she got it at the nursery and say they weren't looking after your daughter properly.

I'd just ask them what they use the information for, and if it's the above, wouldn't worry about it. Doesn't sound sinister, but who knows what they could use the information for
Old 09 September 2003, 09:11 AM
Luke
BANNED

sign of the times....wont belong before lawyers start hanging around school gates..
Old 09 September 2003, 09:12 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Ez has been @ 3 nurserys since 6 mnths & we've not experienced the "external" injuries one. But we have noticed that there are a lot of over-precious parents when it comes to that sort of thing. I agree with Hanslow that its a case of CYA only.

They have a legal duty of care to report any injuries that look could be caused by abuse anyway, so recording the odd scratch or bruise isn't likely to be sinister.

You're more likely to get into trouble for some of the things your daughter says Ez has come out with some great statements, which although innocent, could be construed by social services as downright dodgy
Old 09 September 2003, 09:19 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Luke

They already do...

Every time my wife has to pick up Ez - she's there

& guess what Luke, my wife's a Claimant PI lawyer. Do you know that whilst she's waiting for Ez to come out, she sets up a stall and hands out promotional leaflets to all the other Mums & Dads? PAT evenings are infact talks given by her to demonstrate the best way to claim compensation from the school and her company sponsors the school hockey team...

Old 09 September 2003, 09:23 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Red face

Lol Puff.

Well I might just let it go. Although it really made me feel sick when I was presented with it. If I hadn't been in such a good mood, I think I may well have removed my daughter there and then, and spent the day at home!
Old 09 September 2003, 09:26 AM
Luke
BANNED

Puff

you and your wife!!!!
Old 09 September 2003, 09:30 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

my girlfriend is a nursery nurse and this is standard practice.

it's so you can't turn around and sue the nursery. it's to protect the nursery.. and of course the child.

i suspect that no matter which nursery you go to, it will be the same.
Old 09 September 2003, 09:53 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Question

I would welcome all of your opinions on my new company whether good, bad or indifferent.

www.seemybaby.co.uk

Cheers

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 09:57 AM
Luke
BANNED

Tony

it looks good. Well imformed and simple site.

But isnt it a shame the world has come to this....

Good luck.
Old 09 September 2003, 10:12 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Looks interesting

BUT

I can see this site getting blocked @ work!!!
Old 09 September 2003, 10:15 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Puff

My argument would be that the parent would be more productive/efficient safe in the knowledge that their child was OK.

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 10:42 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Steven has ended up in hospital twice now after something happening at nursery but I would never ever consider sueing or anything like that as kids will just be kids!

Although yesterday when I picked him up he had a hat on so I didn't see his face too well and when I got to the end of the road I noticed the 2 marks down the side of his face, when I asked him he said that one of the girls in his class did it so I about turned and headed back to find out what had happened but nobody seemed to know how or when it happened but it was fresh as he was cut! Will have to sign an accident form today about it though.

I have never in Stevens' 4 years at nursery ever had to sign a form about any cuts etc that happened outwith nursery. I would no doubt be there all day every day then since he is so accident prone

Maybe it is different in Scotland

AJ
Old 09 September 2003, 11:11 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

wont belong before lawyers start hanging around school gates..
...smoking, no doubt!!

Tony, that concept has come on leaps and bounds, well done.

My little nipperooni goes to a private Nursery and i dont think they make me sign anything, other then allowance for them to administer first aid/medical treatment if i'm not contactable.

the also asked me if i would mind my little son being in the same class as a slightly "slow" little girl, to which i immediately said, not at all, it will probably benefit them both.

i can understand them wanting to cover their own ***** though, especially with the mentality of people who would rather make a living sueing people instead of solid graft!!!!

sign of the times, as someone pointed out!!

ho hum
BB
Old 09 September 2003, 11:13 AM
Luke
BANNED

beemerboy ..you stalker!!
Old 09 September 2003, 11:37 AM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

tony,
not something that I personally would be interested in, but that doesn't mean that I can't see a huge market for it. Trust is very important to me and I believe that if my little one isn't in a nursery that I feel I can trust I would move her on very quickly. If we had it, I would be a casual observer once or twice a day and I would find the cost a barrier to this. Have you thought of banding the time available? £5 gives 10 minutes per day max.. for instance?
I don't buy into the 'watch her first steps' thing either, you'd have to be watching full time to catch these events in which case you'd be looking after them yourself.
Good luck, with today's paranoia you're likely to do very well.
Old 09 September 2003, 12:33 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Alpine99

I figured that if people can afford £600 per month for child-care then the amount for the service was tiny. I would have to explore the time limit feature further. It is not really designed as a Brother system as it is easy to see things out of context. With the regards to 'Seeing your childs first steps' - This is where reality meets marketing blurb

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 12:43 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

tonybooth - whilst i think your concept is a good one i do have some reservations, presumably if i registered to 'see my baby' at nursery and logged on i would also see other kids playing with my kid, or in the vacinity. sorry but i dont want anyone else being able to see my kid if they registered and logged on to view their own child - there are a lot of weirdos out there - with and without kids of their own!!!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/9/2003 12:44:01 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 01:15 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

scooby96, blimey thats a weird stance to take.

you could say the same about walking down the street.

what do you do? put your kid in a box whenever you go out!!!

Im sure the security aspect has been taken care of, and, at the end of the day its only kids playing, or drawing, or making clay ashtrays (for the local police, no doubt)

these thoughts will eventually drive you insane with worry.

its the same about putting pictures of my son on fotopic.
i'm sure there's weirdos out there looking at these, but as long as i dont know about it, and they dont actually interfere with my family, i dont waste time thinking about it.

sorry, but its stuff like this thats stops adults actually enjoying their kids, and ultimately hinders the childs learning abilities too. (wrapping up in cotton wool etc)

let them have a life.

BB

[Edited by beemerboy - 9/9/2003 1:17:17 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 01:18 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scoob96

Fair point and one that has been made before. At least our system is as secure as it can be, we really can't do any more. There is no zoom function on the cameras which does help. The bottom line is we are caught on CCTV on average 20 times a day whether we like it or not.

Keep the comments coming - I promise not to be offended. This has taken me 18 months to develop, but there may be something that I have not considered.

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 01:50 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Just my HO!

Dont get me wrong I dont wrap my kids up in cotton wool either and I accept the likes of cctv - however this is just additional access that could get into the wrong hands.

Perhaps I worry slightly more than some people who have posted above but I can see the potential for this service being abused, ie can the cameras see into areas they shouldnt, will the nursery staff remember the cameras are there if they were to undress/redress a child whose spilt paint / water on themselves - it would need to have very strict protocols which over time I could envisage being breached once people get used to the cameras being there (ie fogetting them altogether).

Would there be someone monitoring all the camrea centrally and who could deactivate a camera if something similar was caught on camera - obviously recording it centrally in the background?

I was once interested in a system where you could remotely log onto your home pc and access the webcam and view your home - similar if you had an au pair or a childminder / babysitter in your own home. For some people I could see logging and becoming obsessed but I respect peoples decisions whatever thay may be on this subject.

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/9/2003 1:52:46 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 01:52 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

Your costing assumes full time nursery care.. we have 4 days per week which is 100 notes. I think a lot of people use nurseries less than a full week. But I take your point.. a fiver is a no-brainer, 40 notes for first month plus 20 thereafter makes me think how much would I use it?

Scoob96, all parents share your concerns to a point but you seem to take yours to the extreme. What's to stop anyone watching the playground of a local school provided they are on public property? i.e. the street. Surely it's better to educate your child than try blanket protection?

Anyway if my kid and yours are in the same shot no one's going to be looking at yours! Proud father mode off
Old 09 September 2003, 01:55 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Alpine99

I dont think my comments are extreme at all:

"Dont get me wrong I dont wrap my kids up in cotton wool either and I accept the likes of cctv - however this is just additional access that could get into the wrong hands."

I just think there is a 'potential' for improper use which is additional to the bloke staring at kids from the street!
Old 09 September 2003, 02:41 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

The basic systems consists of 4 cameras with NO recording facility. Beyond this it is up to the Nursery if they choose to record any images or specify more cameras. This would involve registration with Data Protection. Recorded images, over time, could be used by the nursery to demonstrate to OFSTED that the children were meeting their Early Learning Goals.

TONY
[feeling gulity of a thread hijack]
Old 09 September 2003, 03:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Just musing...

How about a passive tag that the child wears & the camera tracks that child?

Parent logs on, gets sole use of that camera for a period of time and it tracks their child. Possibly then a zoom feature might be utilised?

Also then only the child that the parent belongs to is tracked...

More expense but then more features
Old 09 September 2003, 03:21 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Puff

Great idea. I will have a word with RAC Trackstar

Seriously, we looked at this but it was very expensive, but perfectly possible.

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 03:36 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

sooooooooooooo worrying that a system like this is even contemplated, never mind developed. scares the **** outta me that this is how the world is going

i ask myself, is tony part of the solution - or part of the problem! i mean, the good sides are all obvious - but parents logging on to a PC to watch their child via a camera. very sad that this happens.
Old 09 September 2003, 03:44 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

midget1500

This type of system (but not as secure or advanced) is already popular in the US parts of Scandinavia and the Far East.

Don't see how I could be part of any problem. Perhaps you are missing the point.

TONY
Old 09 September 2003, 03:54 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

tony,

sorry i didn't really explain myself (bit busy )

what i mean is that by developing said systems we are only going further down the (wrong?) road and sometimes i think we need to stop ourselves and ask why? (there are so many factors that could be debated here it is untrue!). it really is a sad reflection on society and very depressing. i wish you all the best with your system and i think it is sad that such a system exists.

a bit like good old cyberdyne systems

steven
Old 09 September 2003, 04:08 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I LOVE the idea but not really for the reasons being discussed here.

My eldest boy is in nursery and as i work long hours/6 days a week, i wouldnt normally get the chance to watch him play/learn with his friends.

I think clicking on for 5/10mins a day would really put a smile on my face For this reason, it would need to be relaitvely inexpensive as it would be a luxury rather than a necessity.

Quick Reply: FAO - Parents of children at private nursery.