Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ringtones and copyright

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 12:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mobile ringtones are getting more accurate I was wondering where this fits in with copyright legislation ?

If I had written a song that had done well I would be a bit upset that somebody had ripped off the tune, mudered it in the process and was selling to the public at a higher price than the single I had released, I say higher price as I downloaded one ringtone once to see what the fuss was but instead of costing me the 3 quid or so it said, it appeared on my bill for 8 quid, theiving scumbags, then they hammer my phone with texts for evermore.

Considering what is happening regarding deigital music (witness the 12 year old prosecuted in the states), where does a Polyphonic ringtone fit in ?
Old 16 October 2003, 01:49 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's gotta happen, hasn't it? Someone will try it on and sue, and the people who must currenly be laughing their ***** off selling crap copies of someone else's work for 1.50 a minute to the truly stupid and gullible will find themselves in a whole heap of doodoo.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the public. These people selling ringtones have made a *fortune* with that advice...
Old 16 October 2003, 02:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They SHOULD pay a fee to the publishers, and that is handled by the MCPS (.co.uk) Systems are all in place!!!