Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorway Service stations absolute rip-off …

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 01:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have known these are there to fleece you on petrol and serve rubbish overpriced food so I avoid them like the plague and fill up me and the car before I leave. I ran out of time though and had to buy petrol & a couple of sandwiches at ‘Welcome Break’ on the M40 on Saturday. 80.9p for a litre of petrol and £6.18 for a couple of rather nasty & basic sandwiches from the petrol station there (no wonder they never bother 'advertising' the petrol price on the motorway signs as they should)! I later found petrol in a tiny garage in deepest North Wales for only 76p L

Nothing against people making a living, but 20p extra on a gallon???!!! They always seem busy and full though – why are people such mugs??? Fill up at Tesco & get your sarnies there before you go!

D

PS I also worked out that Maxi ‘Grab’ Packs of Walkers cost more per crisp than the standard pack! I’m on to my MP & IDS about that ‘Grab bag’ – very apt!
Old 16 October 2003, 01:18 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I always fill up before I leave, however I tend to make journeys of over 300 miles which leaves me in the hands of these robbers even though I carry a fuel can.

Someone needs to make a list of filling stations very close to motorway junctions to save us all from these people. I guess they would argue that the huge sums of money they have to pay for the service stations justifies the price. I'd say if they tried offering some decent facilities such as more than 2 hrs parking (FFS is it too much to ask to be allowed to sleep when you are tired on a long journey) and clean toilets I wouldn't mind so much.
Old 16 October 2003, 01:32 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I too always fill up before I leave and would rather leave the motorway at a junction to find a petrol station rather than use services.

The people who do use them are probably sales reps, service engineers etc that don't pay for their own fuel (or dinner ) so they can get away with what they like

Paul
Old 16 October 2003, 01:40 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

The Welcome Break services do have a plus point... they tend to stock the Ginsters Mexican / Tikka wraps, which are the perfect tonic for ensuring a business meeting is wrapped up in record time.

Old 16 October 2003, 01:49 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the Government gets a back-hander from these places for putting the old "tiredness kills, take a break" signs up.

In fact I'm surprised that they don't all have "message sponsored by Wellcome Break" on them

Old 16 October 2003, 01:53 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well if they come all the way from India or Mexico that makes the price much more reasonable mate...
Old 16 October 2003, 02:02 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I would bet money that most of the people buying petrol at these stations don't have to pay for it out of their own pocket...
Old 16 October 2003, 02:02 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Nothing against people making a living, but 20p extra on a gallon???!!! They always seem busy and full though – why are people such mugs??? Fill up at Tesco & get your sarnies there before you go!

So, you're calling yourself a mug?
Old 16 October 2003, 02:49 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
If I'm absolutely starving on a motorway then I usually try and find a burger king or such like - you know what you're getting and how much it'll be.

As for the price of fuel - if you're getting low then what else can you do? You're probably miles of a junction if you want to try your luck away from the main drag, but if you're up here in cumbria where there can be 30 miles between exits - you're up **** creek if your warning light comes on.

Theres also a fuel station just outside Carlisle that advertises "Last fuel before M6". Sneeky bast@rds have a higher price than ON the M6!!
Old 16 October 2003, 03:21 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

If your location starts with 'M' something...Burger King has a pound extra on the price of a meal mate...

That's why we get a supersize XL meal and cut it in half with me Swiss Army knife - christ I am tight aint I - or am I just mad? I will happily pay for value - £12 for a bottle of wine at the offie is no prob...(well not the rip off chain offies like Thresher etc (Help I need Help!) Doctor - stretcher - nurse!!!

Yep I was a mug that once FatherP - but only to the tune of £20. Never again I TELL YA
Old 16 October 2003, 03:23 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Threshers is not a rip off. In fact they offer a money back guarantee on their wines. So if you don't like them take em back and get your money back.

Back in my student days when I had little cash I often ended up with crap bottles of wine. Good job my friend worked at the local shop eh?
Old 16 October 2003, 03:31 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
You think you're tight, not as bad as someone I know...

On a skiing holiday goes out for a meal with a few friends and takes with him a Pot Noodle & Thermos of Hot Water. Also took a hip flask with Jack Daniels and only bought a coke - which he made last all night.
Old 16 October 2003, 03:35 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You need to buy Off the Motorway

This guide follows the junctions of the country's leading motorways, and provides detailed information on places to stop close to the motorway including petrol stations, cafes and restaurants, public houses, hotels and guest houses and shops.

I have a copy in my glovebox and it's been very handy. As I have a fuel card I'm not bothered about the petrol stations, but it's very handy to find nice places to eat and somewhere to park and stretch your legs for an hour.

Highly recommend.
Old 16 October 2003, 06:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Cheers, Nimbus, I was looking for that!!

I like the French system: on ALL their motorways, and some major roads, they tell you how far to the next 4 or so services in a row, and what sort of fuel you can get from each,( Shell, BP, Esso Total etc). Some are even over 100 miles!

Then, as you get closer, they tell you the prices of each type of fuel: Super unleaded, unleaded, 4 star, diesel, LPG etc, so you can judge if you want to go in ,or wait fior the next Shell etc.

Over there it doesn't matter so much in the Scoob as EVERY garage sells 98 octane.
Over here, how many of us have had to put a couple of gallons of 95 octane in, just to get to the next Optimax station??
Alcazar
Old 16 October 2003, 06:38 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yep - I've had to do that! Hate it!

Deffo gonna get that book Nimbus - pays for itself in only two fatty burger meals I reckon

D