Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will you buy GM foods.

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 04:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot has been said over the past 2 years regarding these crops. A government survey published today says that during trials of GM crops it was seen that wildlife was harmed.

Do you thik you would buy these "frankenstein foods" if and when they become readily available.

Personally I will not buy them at all. I think we already play about with life too much as it is. Why not leave things to grow naturally.That after all is how nature intended.

Backers of these trials are predominantly Supermarkets and Bio Comps who are only really interested in profits and little else which when it comes to people health should not matter.

Chip.

Old 16 October 2003, 04:56 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Nope. I find GM cars pretty bad so if they're gonna start producing food I reckon it'll be much the same.

WOuld be handy though "I'll have a Corsa for the wife please...while your at it fill it with food to save a trip to the shops"
Old 16 October 2003, 04:58 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have a problem with them. If it means you can grow disease resistant crops so that you don't have to pollute the countryside with incesticides and weedkillers then I think it's a good idea.

The problem is most people have jumped on to the "no GM" bandwagon without looking at the facts (or even allowing the facts to be gathered!!)

I think that GM crops could be one of the greatest things to improve the food production in the world. I'm not saying there aren't risks. We just need to test it fully. Something some people will not even allow...

[Edited by Nimbus - 10/16/2003 5:01:04 PM]
Old 16 October 2003, 05:05 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Why not leave things to grow naturally.That after all is how nature intended.
Since the begninings of civilisation we have been messing with nature. A bit late to start saying "leave it to Nature" now...

Backers of these trials are predominantly Supermarkets and Bio Comps who are only really interested in profits and little else which when it comes to people health should not matter.
I ageee that profits matter. They do need to recoupe the R&D costs in developing new strains of crops. I would not say that it's the only thing they are after though.
Old 16 October 2003, 05:40 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

Most people are already eating some GM food without knowing. Apparently a lot of canned tomatoes, grain and rice is already gm.
Old 16 October 2003, 06:17 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I think you have fallen into the media wide misconception of what GM food is - it's not a case of whether to let it happen or not. More important is the degree to which it is regulated.

At its simplest, GM food (which effectively involves alteration of the genetic material, either changing what's there or removing or adding sections) is no more harmful to the environment than selective breeding. Subtle changes to existing plants and animals can be beneficial to the environment (reduce pesticides, improve crop yields, improve health of animals and the like). i.e. there are massive benefits to be gained from genetic modification if used correctly.

In the extreme, new 'species' can be formed which could be harmful to the environment or inappropriate changes could wipe out levels of existing food chains.

The key is to regulate it - without this the answer to GM foods should be an unequivocal no.
Gordo

Old 16 October 2003, 06:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I still have a feeling that GM foods may well be bad for health eventually because of the artificial genetic changes. Also the vicious pesticides which will be used may also be injurious to human health. The insects will eventually become immune anyway. By that time the normal animal life in our countryside will probably be extinct. I don't think the advertised advantages are worth the candle personally from the Public's point of view. It is mainly all for the firms concerned to make a killing, hopefully not literally of course!

Les
Old 16 October 2003, 07:13 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

The key is to regulate it - without this the answer to GM foods should be an unequivocal no
Its very easy to regulate anything. Its policing it is the problem

Chip.
Old 17 October 2003, 09:29 AM
DAC
Scooby Regular

I would.

I agree that it will help elliminate use of some pesticides - and I agree it may destroy some wildlife - but they will evolve and we will modify more and so on.

as said above - we do it already by selectively breeding one strain with another already.

but GM crops wll also mean third world countries will be able to grow food that previously they couldn't - and utilise land that is currently baron - making them more self sutainable - maybe leading to less starvation - and cos they're too busy growing crops - less time to sh4g and pass on aids to their children. (sorry just one of my grievances)