Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whether to install central heating ...?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2003, 11:40 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to those of you who replied to this thread I've gone ahead with a offer on a property and it's been accepted.

It's a fairly modern, compact 2-bed semi (late 80s I think) but surprisingly it doesn't have central heating fitted. The property is warmed by a single (!) storage heater on the landing and a gas fire in the living room.

I'm toying with the idea of borrowing a little extra on my mortgage and getting a central heating system fitted before I move in. This would require radiators in the two bedrooms, bathroom and living room and possibly on the landing (the kitchen is too 'compact' for a radiator) .. and hopefully a combi boiler replacing the existing hot-water boiler in the airing-cupboard.

On top of this, the house is only single glazed, save for a single double glazed unit on the landing.

How much hassle is it to retro-fit central heating? Any suggestions or tips on what to look at? Can I reduce the costs anywhere (e.g. fitting piping, radiators myself)? Any recommendations for reputable companies in the South Manchester area?

Or should I replace the windows first?!

Thanks in advance.

A

Old 23 October 2003, 11:47 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Do both windows and heating if you can afford it. Not sure I would recommend you fit heating yourself especially if its gas fired - might be illegal to anyway (Corgi etc).

If you get a plumber in to do it dont pay more than about £800 for ALL the parts, thats the boiler (condensing type recommended), radiators, pipes and thermostatic valves (on each rad!). If you get quoted more than that then ask them to price a 'heat-pack' which can be had for about £700 (Plumb Center, PTS).

In a average sized 2 bed house I would say its a 2 or 3 day job, so the most I would expect labour to be is c.£800.

My gf was almost ripped off as she was quoted £4800 fitted (3 bedroom semi). My dad did it for £1750 all in!!!

Heat_Packs_From_£528_Here

[Edited by Scooby96 - 10/23/2003 11:52:15 AM]
Old 23 October 2003, 01:01 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Consider reading the latest (April 2003) building regulations - K glass must be used in newly fitted double glazed units etc...
They also differ from area to area (conservation areas and places with special covernants etc.)

You can fit the water pipes yourself. I did this in our old flat with loads of help and am just finishing the current house now. If you're reasonably practical, you should be able to do this quite easily - just get all the right tools, sort out a plan and don't cut corners! There are loads of books and leaflets which explain the mysteries of radiator sizing and where to put pipe runs.

You're not supposed to fit the boiler, flue or gas pipe - only a small barking dog can do that There's nothing to stop you buying them though.

It's not a difficult job to fit windows yourself though - just be aware of planning regs where applicable and building regs!
I had mine fitted, but wished I'd done it myself, as they aren't (IMHO) well fitted.

I'd suggest that living in the house for a month or two before deciding what you want to do is a good idea if you can do that. Finding the information you need and planning is 7/10s of getting the house the way you want it. I know it's dull, but it's worked for me. Of course, spending winter in a cold house is silly, so it may be best to go for the heating quickly, and sort out any other issues later. I think the flat cost about £1000 + load of my time in total, and it was a similar size (floor area) to a small house. This was about 3.5 to 4 years ago now.

BTW, I occasionally get accused of "Extreme DIY" - I removed a fireplace from my current house, and the neighbours were convinced the house would fall down!! (They obviously couldn't use a tape measure or read plans... the chimney wasn't over the fireplace )
You have been warned!!
Old 23 October 2003, 01:16 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

After reading the other thread, I thought I'd pass this on...

Some words of wisdom my "father out-law" gave me a couple of years ago:

"Do what you can yourself, as you'll gain useful skills and a well stocked toolbox, and you'll pay less tax (meaning VAT), save money and get the job done right"

"And Good tools are never a waste of money, but if you buy cheap ones, you buy twice."

It's worked out mostly well for he and I up to now, but then I'm not all that old, and he's 75 and very skilled at just about everything he does from carpentry (boat building especially), plumbing, spray painting, electronics... He doesn't like plaster or cement though!

Good luck with the purchase. The first couple of years were hard for Nic and I, but it does get better.
Old 23 October 2003, 03:19 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

"And Good tools are never a waste of money, but if you buy cheap ones, you buy twice."
If you are only doing simple DIY then don't spend a fortune on tools to start with, buy cheap ones, if you use it enough to break it then go and buy a more expensive one the second time, if you don't break it then you have saved yourself a bucket load of money!!!

Buy a £20 cordless drill and it may last 2 years, buy a £100 one and it may only last 4 or 5.
Old 23 October 2003, 03:31 PM
Luke
BANNED

I buy the best tools as cheap as possible. they work better ,feel better and give a better impression to the client. Also should you ever have to sell them..you get a bit back.

Old 23 October 2003, 03:51 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

building regulations - K glass must be used in newly fitted double glazed
dnb, I heard that you can fit DG without K-glass, but if you dont fit the k-glas the government takes some of the money off the sale ofyour house, and hands it over to the buyer as a grant towards K-glass. I don't know how true this is, a builder mate told me.
Old 23 October 2003, 04:13 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

mj - no idea about that! Was informed by my double glazing bloke that they would be fitted in March, so we didn't have a problem and that K glass was going to be mandatory. (It was a load more money we didn't have at the time...) Was just aiming to point out the possible pitfalls.

Luke - I agree totally on the decent tools for the best price idea... It's the cheap-and-nasty ones you've got to watch out for!

[Edited by dnb - 10/23/2003 4:43:24 PM]
Old 23 October 2003, 04:42 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

"I heard that you can fit DG without K-glass, but if you dont fit the k-glas the government takes some of the money off the sale ofyour house, and hands it over to the buyer as a grant towards K-glass. I don't know how true this is, a builder mate told me."

Think thats crap IMO
Old 23 October 2003, 06:55 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

fair comment - tell it like it is why not

like I say its only what I was told, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick
Old 23 October 2003, 09:39 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K glass gives other advantages, not only does it keep the heat in, it's also quite reflective, so from outside it looks more like a mirror than a window.
Old 27 October 2003, 11:41 AM
nkh
Scooby Regular

Yep K glass is required for building regs. Normal double galzing has a U value of about 2.8. From Spring 2002, U values of 2.2 (for metal windows) and 2.0 (for non-metal) will be required in all new and replacement windows.

From here (K glass is pilkington's low-E glass product)

Changes to the Government Building Regulations (Part L in England and Wales and Parts J & A in Scotland) aim to improve the thermal efficiency of buildings, and set out mandatory requirements for any replacement windows and windows in new structures.

Part L - England & Wales

Parts J & A - Scotland

The changes will affect every new and replacement window fitted from Spring 2002.

The new standards are based on the thermal performance of the whole window (glass and frame). To meet them, every window fitted in domestic and commercial buildings will need to use low-E glass.
Old 27 October 2003, 11:44 AM
nkh
Scooby Regular

I didn't want K glass as it effects the transmition of white light so a light surface just inside the window can appear darker.

The most obvious sign of this would be net curtains looking grubby.

I don't have net curtains and don't want net curtains but I like plenty of bright white light.