Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Martial Arts....?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2003, 06:28 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Im interested in taking up martial arts (again) but i want the best self defence one basically. Used to do kickboxing and really enjoyed it but im interested in doing other things too. So anyone know which would be the best self defence for a female?
Old 21 November 2003, 07:03 PM
doorman
Scooby Regular

HI I GO TO A CLASS ONCE A WEEK THATS RUN BY MY BEST MATE.IT IS A REAL SELF DEFENCE CLASS IN WHICH IS BASED ON REAL LIFE SITUATIONS .THERE ARE LOTS OF CLASSES ON THE NET IF U HAVE A LOOK .YOU DON'T WANT TO DO ONLY ONE ART FORM AS THIS CAN BE A BIT RESTRICTIVE YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO PUNCH KICK AND GRAPPLE IF A FIGHT GOES TO THE FLOOR.ETC.

IF YOU ARE INTERESED I CAN FIND OUT WHAT IS IN KENT
Old 21 November 2003, 07:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I did Jiu Jitsu for several years. It's entirely focused on self defence and participants train with others regardless of size or strength. Techniques involve redirecting the force of an attack back on the attacker, so there's not a great deal of strength required.

Beginners start by learning to defend against a variety of unskilled, unarmed attacks before gradually working up to deal with a variety of weapons and more skilled attackers. The usual system of coloured belts is used and students are encouraged to take gradings when they feel ready. I made it from novice to light blue in about 2 1/2 years.

It's good for building up general fitness too - although you won't need to be fit to begin with, by the time you're ready to go for a green belt (the third grading, when it starts to really get serious), you will be!

For what it's worth, size doesn't really matter. In my club there were people ranging from 5ft to about 6 ft 8 (yes, really!), and we all trained together.

More info from The Jitsu Foundation.
Old 21 November 2003, 07:27 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone

I looked at Ju Jitsu before and thought it seemed good. Might look at that again.
Old 21 November 2003, 07:38 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Every martial art has something to offer,and don't be fooled by people biased to the art that they teach or train in.
If techniques are applied correctly with speed,that will create power alone.
It really depends on what art you find interesting and what works best for your personal ability.
When you start matial art's generally you go to a club local to you without knowing the style,but if you live in Kent,I'm sure your spoilt for choice!
Regards
Dean
Old 22 November 2003, 11:50 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I studied Wado Ryu for 12 years and IMO its the best of them all. It incorperates most of the technical moves of the other arts but mainly concentrates on counter attack and defense. Its not to everyones liking though as its a full contact sport ,unlike the other semi or non contact.
Its a few years since i last practiced it and I know that headgear is now compulsary although it was only an option when i studied it

Phil
Old 22 November 2003, 12:15 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

I've studied 2 forms of Karate - Wado Ryu (via the SKW) and Seike Juku (via the Busen in Twickenham) alongside Thai boxing and Bujikhan on and off since the age of 15 (now 32!)

IMHO, you need a combination of a 'hard' standing art (Karate / Thai Boxing) combined with a grapple/ground fighting art to be of any real use (I might try Pencak Silat sometime next year for this).

Most fights will end up on the ground (for an example of this see the footage of Tyson and someone else whos name escapes me fighting prior to a boxing match some years back), so its all very well learning the kicking / punching blocking basics, but these are of little use when it goes to the ground.

IMHO the main thing Martial Arts teaches (besides confidence and sharpening reaction time and the art itself) is how to take a good deal of punishment and carry on going till you win, something which takes a while to get to grips with.

Neil
Old 22 November 2003, 12:22 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've got a white belt in RunLikefuk , it's a little known form of self defence that works quite well ," the art of fighting without fighting !! "
Old 22 November 2003, 03:00 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Hello.

There is no best martial arts it just depends on ya self.
since you have done kickboxing i take it you are good with your legs so why not do a martial arts that mainly upper body like wing chun or westen boxing.

Ray
Old 22 November 2003, 05:58 PM
Luke
BANNED

Hackney free style.
Old 22 November 2003, 06:44 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would throughly advise you trying Aikido.
I've tried a few martial arts however a lot has to do with who's actually taking/teaching the class.
My first introdution to martial arts was Karate (shokaten i think) which I thought was ok but very limited, however seeing a boy of 6 (black belt) heading the class was somewhat strange although he wasn't teaching. He managed to get a black belt in less than 2 years!
After a few months a complete muppet took over and from there on in the class took a nose dive. He had "rock and roll" tatooed on his knuckles!
I then took up kickboxing at college which I enjoyed, the teacher was very good although it was very physical the main point was the fitness as you are probably aware, i.e interlocking legs in a sit-up position with a opponent and hold at 45 degrees for 45 minutes, now that was tough!
Then I tried Aikido which I thought was the best by a mile, the teachers were very professional there was no "look at me I'm a black belt" attitude. The gradings are and have to be very precise, 3 guys failed their black belts on the first attempt however 2 of them then passed on the next attempt, this after 8 years of studying Aikido. There were also several females in our group.

Rob.

[Edited by Rob D - 11/22/2003 6:46:35 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 07:05 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

I think that as others have mentioned a traditional martial art is a good thing due to confidence and understanding it gives you (mentaly and physically). I have always felt that the Chinese arts have always been the best foundation stone. As this is where all martial arts originate from.

I feel this will give you a good foundation. Another good approach would be to do some tae kwondo (For kicks-long distance) for a year or two. Do some boxing or karate (for hands - mid distance). Do some Judo or the like (for grappling - close in). This is important as someone said lots of fights end up on the ground.

This in itself won't make you a good fighter. The experienced dirty 'Hackney Freestyler' will probably get the better of you

From there combine what you have learn't, chuck out all the traditional stuff and get stuck into Freestyle fighting.

From there simplify it and break it down even more into simple nasty techniques that work on the street.

Having said all that. The key to coming out on top in self-defense terms is how well you can controll your adrenaline and how well you can **** about with the person head stood in front of you before it kicks off.

My top tip is run. Fighting is messy and nasty. If you can't run control your adrenaline and finish it before it starts. Knock them out first.

As a rule an experinced street fighter will get the better of a martial artist who hasn't had many street fights.

Best wishes
Steve
Old 22 November 2003, 09:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

The key to coming out on top in self-defense terms is how well you can controll your adrenaline
-------------------------------------------------------------------

for most that will be the killer....That stuff can be evil if not controlled.

[Edited by Luke - 11/22/2003 9:31:27 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 09:22 PM
yoza
BANNED

Never get lulled into a false sence of security, due to the fact that you go to a self defence class twice a week.

In the real world its worth **** all.(sorry thats a bit harsh, but not miles of the mark)

By all means go to these classes, but in my experiance some of the people who attend these classes get ideas above their station. And get a rude awakening.

Anyway enjoy, just dont walk over to a gang of p1ss heads thinking your Bruce Lee, coz it dont work.
Old 22 November 2003, 09:33 PM
Luke
BANNED

Yoza.... your not talking about the American Army are you !!!

Old 22 November 2003, 09:45 PM
yoza
BANNED

......No.

Im talking about the people who go to certain classes were you practice moves, then try them out on partners. It goes a bit like this.....

"You go to punch me here, then Ill do this, and then you roll over on the floor, and slam your arm down on the mat, because it sounds good. But dont do it too fast!"

Then after a few months they get a nice coloured belt, and automatically think they are hard as ****. So with all this hardness they have gleened in their local community center, they have this 'indestructable' attitude. And as Ive said, they get a rude awakening, and realize that other people dont play nice, and dont adhere to the rules......
Old 22 November 2003, 10:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

Yoza.... your not talking about the American Army are you !!!

Old 22 November 2003, 10:18 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

So Yoza, you're either built like a brick****house or you'd run like a ***** at the first sign of trouble as martial arts so rubbish.

LOL Bruce Lee wannabe im not. Quite like to get fit though
Old 22 November 2003, 10:26 PM
yoza
BANNED

Funny you should say that.

Ive never been keen on martial arts, my skills were learnt the hard way, were if you mess up, you get messed up. It was a really sharp learning curve.
Anyway Im to old for all that sh1te anymore.
As for built like a BS, look through the spoiler lifters thread in STYLING, and judge for your self.

Old 22 November 2003, 10:33 PM
pilkster
Scooby Regular

Without doubt Muay thai boxing is the best sport/martial art i've eva done. Did Karate for 3 years, kickboxing for 12 months and Muay thai for 5 years. Muay thai incorporates full upper body contact plus lower body contact eg, knees, kicks, using the heel etc. Far more appropriate for modern day life, its more like a street fighting style. IMOA its ideal, plus your fitness will improve 110%
Old 22 November 2003, 11:09 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

For self defence the better martial arts are Jui Jitsu and Aikido.

The others mentioned like Karate, Kickboxing and the likes are not so effective in that they are predominantly striking arts with the hands and legs, whereas the first ones I mentioned are based on practical situations involving grappling and take downs etc.

The average "fight" on the street lasts something like 45 seconds and hardly ever stays on your feet.

Old 22 November 2003, 11:20 PM
pilkster
Scooby Regular

Fair point Talizman, but in able to obtain your gradings and belts you have to go thro intensive self-defense training. I've trained hard for the last 10 years and the main priority is self-conservation...
Old 22 November 2003, 11:38 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I appreciate the requirements of the rank structures as I too have done Martial Arts for the past 14 years and I am a 4th Degree in Tae Kwon-Do.

I am confident in my own abilities and know exactly what my limits are in terms of defending myself.
Having said that, I would still say a Jui Jitsu or Aikido practitioner would have the edge over me in a "real" fight.

Due to my job, I am involved in all sorts of "tussles" on the street, and very few fights remain "toe to toe" as it were.

Very quickly, it becomes a grapple and things go to ground, in which case a standup fighter (karate, muay thai, tae kwon do, kickboxer etc) would lose any advantage their Martial Arts knowledge may have given them.

I believe that during an altercation, as long as I can stay on my feet, then I have the upper hand with the majority of Joe Bloggs out there. Once it goes to ground, we are on a level playing field as our Arts don't really cater for this type of combat.

I take on board your point regarding fitness though, and agree wholeheartedly.

All IMHO of course!

Please excuse the continual use of inverted commas! lol

[Edited by talizman - 11/22/2003 11:40:08 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 11:45 PM
pilkster
Scooby Regular

Love to have a training sesh with you some time, let me know if you're around the NW taliz..
Old 23 November 2003, 12:00 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

No probs!

Have a look at my website for more info on TKD/my school.
Old 23 November 2003, 11:32 AM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Have you been training cos of all those angry sport owners!!!!!

Only joking, Ive been doing kickboxing for awhile and seems good over karate!!
Old 23 November 2003, 02:46 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Do a martial art that incorporates everything. Kuk Sool (which I do) is one such art and includes kicking, punching, blocking, grappling, street fighting methods, pressure point strikes, manipulation, etc.

Why don't you give us a list of all the martial arts in your area and we'll help you choose one
Old 23 November 2003, 02:51 PM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

Ah.........the age old question of which martial art is the best. The answer is none of them and all of them, which was the answer given to me by 8th dan Hirokazu Kanazawa (Shotokan Karate)who in part, trained me.

Weapon69. Unless you are prepared to train for years, I dont think that a martial art is going to prepare you for just that moment when you might need to defend yourself. IMHO the best weapon (no pun intended) you have is the one between your ears.
Old 23 November 2003, 03:27 PM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

Contrary to popular belief Karate does incorparate grappling & ground fighting. Have a look at these articles by a guy who knows what he`s talking about. www.geoffthompson.com/guest_writers/IanAbernethy/default.htm
I work with Iain & he`s a great guy, well worth going to any of his seminars he does around the country.

[Edited by Big Lee2 - 11/23/2003 3:28:45 PM]

Quick Reply: Martial Arts....?